Front Tyre

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Dougster

Front Tyre

Post by Dougster »

Hi all again.

Has anyone had any problems with there front tyre taying inflated, mine keeps going down, im 100% sure it aint a puncture, ive had my back wheel changed throught warranty. Im just woundering if my front wheel is going the same way now. :(
Gedge

Re: Front Tyre

Post by Gedge »

I had it on my rear tyre, turned out to be the tubeless seal that had failed..left me stuck so resorted to having a tube fitted and no firther troubles since...
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

With less tha 200mls on the clock my back tyre was going flat because the seel failed, i put in an inner tube, that sorted it, but got the wheel changed on warranty, not had a problem with it since. Now i think the front one is going the same way. :(
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

My tyre fitter thought it was a rubbish system and doomed to failure..the front has held up so far but if it does leak I will just have a tube fitted
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

Looks like i am going to have to resort to the inner tube again, im a believer in "If its sold as a tubless wheel then it should stay that way" but obviously it cant be done. Iv heard that there is upgrades for the Gran Passo's but iv not had a thing about it, spoke to my dealer he is also in the dark, e-mailed 3x a few days ago but had no reply as of yet. Maybe this has been a bad decision to buy the Gran Passo. :(
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The tubeless system is IMO completely unecessary and complicates a simple system..since having a £1o tube fitted I have jhad no problems..seems hardlya reason to get rid of the bike :roll:
toggy

Post by toggy »

Hi all
Does anyone have an opinion on whats normal for tyres to deflate over a week ?
Ive been checking the front and rear every 3 days for 3 weeks and found the rear to be down on average 15.86 PSI over 7 days and the front to be down 10.29 PSI over 7days. I'm sure on my previous bikes Ive only put in a couple of PSI every now and then when Ive remembered :) Ive been checking thoroughly because of the other posts regards the rim failures.Don't seem right to me .
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Apart from when the seal failed my tyres have never needed more than short puff ..I only check them now every couple of weeks and cannot remember when nthey were last needing a pump..15psi in a week is dangerous and you should either get the seal replaced or get a tube fitted :)
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I checked my tyres last week before a run into North Wales to see the Police there (lovely run, great weather and 200 miles on a tankfull...).

The front was a little low on air and so I topped it up, mindful of the comments on this string. 20 miles later it felt really low, and so I pulled into a garage and shelled out 50 pence on an air line. The front pressure had dropped to something under 15 lbs; not good. I topped up and didn't screw the air cap on so tight, and briefly considered aborting the ride and starting over again in the car...

I decided to carry on to the first motorway services at reduced speed, and carry out another check there. Fortunately pressure stayed stable, and the rest of the run was done with no further incident. A week later the pressure remains close to 33 lbs front and 35 rear, little lower than the 2.4 and 2.7 bar of the handbook - I'll need to put more air in before riding again.

Whilst I don't doubt that some problems are caused by these faulty wheels, it's possibly worth checking the distance that the dust cap screws in - normally I would only check tyres once a week and expect to put air in once a month (or less). This is only the second time that I've put air in the front, although I've topped up a rear on several occassions, most recently on the trip to Holland for theDutch clubs' anniversary.

I'll keep a closer eye on pressures now, though!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
toggy

Post by toggy »

I was caught out in the past on my previous bike ,when a tiny rubber washer in the valve cap became dislodged after topping up the air , consequently the next morning i opened the garage to see a flat rear tyre.Took me a while to figure out it wasn't a puncture ,but just the washer pressing the valve pin in .With this in mind i replaced the valve caps on my GP with the plastic ones from my push bike just to make sure the originals weren't the problem .
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

So Toggy, you up for meeting at Poole Quay a week to-day? 8) If the weathers' like to-day it should be good!

See the string under Morini meets - at 3X for coffee and leaving there just about six pm. There should be a few riding across to Poole on Morini...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

Gedge wrote:The tubeless system is IMO completely unecessary and complicates a simple system..since having a £1o tube fitted I have jhad no problems..seems hardlya reason to get rid of the bike :roll:
Along with all the other problems with the bike i have only managed to do 500miles since new, and i usually do 8 to 10000 miles a year. So hopefully you can see my dilema. I must admit that when the bike was new and fully operational it was a fantastic machine to ride, hoe fully soon it will be the same, once all the problems are sorted out.
toggy

Post by toggy »

[quote="corsaro chris"]So Toggy, you up for meeting at Poole Quay a week to-day? 8) If the weathers' like to-day it should be good!

See the string under Morini meets - at 3X for coffee and leaving there just about six pm. There should be a few riding across to Poole on Morini...

CC[/quote

Yes I'll be there, I'll head up to 3x when i finnish work at 5pm.Went to the Quay yesterday(22ND)Arrived at 630ish and it was packed .Would be nice if we can all park up together.see ya then
Red S

Post by Red S »

I've experienced the same problem with my front tyre. This is the second tyre to do the same, so it's not the tyre. The GP is now with 3x for a new rectifier/regulator, so they will be sorting this out as well. I think it will end up being an inner tube as a warranty fix.

I seem to be collecting the faults listed on this forum at a steady rate. Still a great bike to ride, but I'm now wondering what the next issue will be. Is this what they mean when they say a bike has 'character'?

Incidentally, my Bridgestone BT020 front seems to have increased the error (over-reading) of the speedo. Must be a slightly lower profile.
toggy

Post by toggy »

I had both tyres fitted with tubes,solved the problem.not got the bike now ,but missing it :(