Have I left it too late to get one?

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
padgman

Have I left it too late to get one?

Post by padgman »

Recently attracted to GP having admired new Morinis from afar for some years now. Owned Guzzis so well aware of how the italians conduct (or not) business! However, MM seem to have gone much further than Guzzi ever did as regards flogging the stock so perhaps they are doomed! I have also read posts in other categories about risks of getting one at this stage - lack of spares backup, paucity of accessories on offer due to small production/niche bike etc. Have yet to ride one but thought it better to get views of current owners rather than just looking at glowing test reports! Mentions of niggles`very familiar to a Guzzi rider!

My nearest dealer, Streffords in Worcs, have an '09 model, plus plastic cases, up for over £10k which seems a lot (although there are willing to talk - perhaps they wish to get out of MM?), 3x (who I recall from when they were Guzzi importers) have a '10 for £9k. Not much else about but haven't looked country-wide. Streffords were fairly downbeat but honest about situation, all very well offering 1 year warranty but damn all use if parts cannot be supplied!

Questions: If I proceed, should all bikes pre '10 have had the upgrades mentioned in other posts? Notwithstanding your own enjoyment of the bike, would you still have bought one if faced with current situation? I appreciate that this type of post has been placed before, but not recently and times have moved on/down? Do I take a longer term risk for short term reward - what do you reckon??
Gedge

Re: Have I left it too late to get one?

Post by Gedge »

Go for it,..the vast majority of service parts are either available from 3X or can be found fitted to other bikes..the brakes are 2 pot brembos as fitted to several KTMs, the ignition stick coils are Ducati items etc etc..the riding experience makes up for the uncertainty..I am now on over 11000 miles on mine without any problems....I am not planning on selling mine ..I shall just keep it until it becomes a clasic :mrgreen:
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Gedge;

"Becomes a Classic"? :!:

The GP is probably already a classic - and well worth keeping! I'm certainly enjoying mine, and it's done some good trips and will be doing more next year...

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

corsaro chris wrote:Gedge;

"Becomes a Classic"? :!:

The GP is probably already a classic - and well worth keeping! I'm certainly enjoying mine, and it's done some good trips and will be doing more next year...

Good riding,

CC
I hope you are right..discerning buyers will know that it has the hallmarks of a classic ride..next year it will be going somewhere exotic and I am confident it will do it without a hitch 8)
Red S

Post by Red S »

On a note of caution, most of the posts on this forum praise 3X for the quality of their service etc. which I heartily agree with. Other dealers do not seem to fair so well, so if you can't get to 3X, you may struggle to get any decent after sales service.

£10K does sound steep, and there are a few others on autotrader, but I have no regrets having bought one. I tried one by accident having gone to 3X to look at Triumphs. It was easily the best ride of everything I tried (TDM, Tiger 1050, VFR, Sprint ST1050, MT01) and you also get a lot of attention from other bikers as they probably won't have seen one before.

Oh, and it looks nicer than the Ducati.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

When I decided to give the 2000 Voxan Roadster the coup de grace (it is already a classic in French eyes, but I want a reliable modern bike) I thought long and hard about a 9 1/2 or Corsaro. The seat height put me off, and I also didn't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire with regard to spares and warranty work. So I bought an Aprilia Shiver. Time will tell...
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

padgman

Post by padgman »

I have succombed following test ride (the grey one on ebay)! Totally bonkers engine!!! Paid just over £9k inc full luggage set having been convinced by dealer that servicing will not be an issue. Roll on spring. Trips to Scotland and North Cape already planned.
Red S

Post by Red S »

Enjoy. I bought mine after an unplanned test ride and a massive grin.....