Engine not firing

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Dave

Engine not firing

Post by Dave »

Bought an 09 Granpasso but due to post op recovery work load and general downtime ive had four rides on it and covered a hundred miles so I dont know the bike. First couple of times I took it out it took two or three prods at the starter the turned but did eventually fire up. The bike went into the workshop to have Hepco and Becker luggage rails fitted and with one thing and another it was a month before I picked it up. This time the engine spun and spun eventually coughing once or twice before eventually firing up. Rode the bike home some twenty miles no problems fun all the way I was beginning to enjoy this bike. Due to work commitments the bike sat for two weeks untill today where it would not fire up. Not even a cough. I have removed both spark plugs and apart from being a nice pale colour they were DRY. I tried to get them to spark against the head and I got no spark either with its own plugs or a spare set. The lights come on and cut out as you press the starter button. The dash goes through its routine and no errors are showing on the dash. The bike is in superb condition with 5000 miles but the instrument cluster was replaced was this a common thing with them? Ive checked all the fuses.
So what do you think? Italian bikes and electricity?
twisty

Re: Engine not firing

Post by twisty »

have you checked the big fuse that sits in its own cover just behind the main fuse box.

Big orange fuse twice the size of the normal one.
if it's in the same place as the corsaro it's very easy to miss it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Checked side stand switch it was a bit grundgy, no joy. Checked starter button/kill button,no joy.
Checked as many connector blocks as I could,no joy. When you switch it on there is no sound of fuel pumps doing their thing but there is still no error showing on the dash or maybe I just cant get it to show an error.
Cant find the big fuse Twisty is talking about any clues?
Dave
twisty

Post by twisty »

told you it's easy to miss.

it lies between the cpu connection and the fuse box on the clutch side of the bike(corsaro). Push the tabs on the cover to slide up to reveal the fuse.

if that's not the problem at least it may be of help in the future, best of luck

Dave

Post by Dave »

Starting to get somewhere not sure its a good place though hopefully you can help.
Ive looked,poked and prodded and I cannot find the big fuse can any Gran Passo owners confirm or advise on this one. As ive not done so many miles I had overlooked the obvious and that is the yellow/orange engine light on the dash, it stays on when you turn on the ignition. Surely it should go out when you are ready to press the starter button. Finally I remembered how to get to the error program and there are the faults

INJU ERROR 12.2 and 13.2

Can anyone tell me the bad news about these fault codes

cheers Dave
twisty

Post by twisty »

i'll try removing the large fuse and see what errors it gives on the dash.
Dave

Post by Dave »

PROBLEM SOLVED. It was a relay!!! Dammed tricky things these relays with a simple test you can hear them click and pronounce them good and move on to the next area of inspection. After removing the fuel tank to gain access to ALL the connectors in the wiring loom we discovered two connector blocks that were showing early signs of corrosion and therefore poor connection. Solution is to remove corrossion and apply WD40. Its desperation time so we swap relays and hey presto it lights up. The faulty relay is replaced and then disected. A tiny arc spot about the size of a grain of salt is in place so it was removed and the relay put back on the bike minus its outer shell and hey presto it now works thus proving that the arc spot was the problem. This relay was clicking under power but under the load of running the fuel pump and the coils it was failling. So there you go guys this winter check all sonnections and carry a spare relay.
cheers Dave
padgman

Post by padgman »

I had an issue with relay for radiator fan - bike got very hot in traffic! My dealer changed all 4 as precaution - now has bosch fitted. I had same issue with guzzis - mickey mouse relays! My only starting issue was when plugs got old - over-ran service due to hols. Re stalling issue - less of a problem when I fitted QD pipe....but no idea why!!