Tuning

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Red S

Tuning

Post by Red S »

I have had an ongoing problem with my GP stalling at low revs with the throttle closed. Coming to a stop at junctions and roundabouts was becoming a problem. 3x had several attempts at rectifying the problem, with only temporary, partial success.
Having read lots of reviews of Power Commanders, I gave it a go. HM Racing in Edenbridge fitted a PC111 USB and did a custom map. They identified that the bike was running in a dangerously lean state and fitted a lambda sensor from a Ducati 848 prior to a second go at the map being installed.
Massive improvement. Although still prone to a bit of stalling when cold, the bike now runs much more smoothly and the stalling problem has been reduced by about 95%. I now have rides without a single stall. As a side benefit, the bike has gone from 110.27 hp to 117.82 hp at the rear wheel!. The torque has also gone from 71.91 ft-lbs to 82.83 ft-lbs.
HM were impressed with the bike generally, particularly the power and quality of kit as standard. The only negtative was that the airbox is apparently quite poorly shaped and could be altered to provide even more power, although in their view the bike doesn't need it. I think I agree, although it is still tempting.
HM's workshop is the the cleanest I have ever seen. Not a drop of oil or dirt anywhere, and several liveried full race bikes in situ being worked on. I would definitely recommend them.
The fuel economy seems about the same, at about 36-40 mpg, but I haven't had it back long enough to be certain yet. The power and torque improvements are noticeable.
As always, there is a down side. The PC, Lambda sensor and custom map cost me £600 inc VAT. but the improvement is worth it. :D
corsaro chris

Re: Tuning

Post by corsaro chris »

In discussion with NLM they are looking at a lighter silencer supplied by an Italian after market company, coupled with an upgraded ECU that provides much the same results, and also looses weight; I'm sorely tempted having suffered through the stalling problem myself (although only when the engine is below operating temperatures).

I'll look out details of the end pipe - comes in carbon, stainless or alloy 8)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I always did reckon the GP stalled that day Chris :wink:
Red S

Post by Red S »

A recent fast trip to Brussels at a typical 80 to 90 mph (and a bit of town riding) with a pillion and luggage gave 37.5 mpg, but with the extra power the GP definitely wants to go faster. The wife does not, however.