Tyres -Michelin Pilot Road3

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
nfitz

Tyres -Michelin Pilot Road3

Post by nfitz »

After 1 week of GP ownership ive changed the tyres form soem 1/2 worn Touraces that are probably the origional fitment and gettign hard to a set of Mitchelin Pilot Road3's

Decided that Im not goinf off road so dont need the "knobbly" look and a good road type would give better grip and allow me to enjoy the GP to its full.

Will try them out and let you know.

PS. Had a look at the rims when the tyres were off and there is no way you could take the risk to run without inner tubes. Its the same a a normal spoked wheel but the rubber strip covering the heads of the spokes is held to the rim with two wire hoops ... not worth the risk so new tubes fitted.
butchamphib

Re: Tyres -Michelin Pilot Road3

Post by butchamphib »

Have you got standard granpasso or H83?
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Standard GP.
Took bike to a run on Sunday and the tyres performed well. Front end feel was much better ... Considering any 19in front wheel will always feel light.
Dunlop RoadSmarts are also available in 19 front 15 rear and have a better dry performance but the Mitchelins are better wett and OK dry.
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Thats interesting i tried to buy some a couple of months ago and they said they weren`t available in our sizes
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Have a look on Bct www https://www.bctmotorcycles.co.uk/catalo ... pNgtGoZaU7 and look under Mitchelin Pilor Road 3 and you will find a front 110/80 R19 and rear 150/70 R15 trail version. They are now on my GP. Dunlop also offer a "roadsmart" in these sizes.

Must come from the popularity of the GS and Tiumphs etc
rrey

Post by rrey »

Hi guys!.

Well, for a 100% road use, it seems the best options out there are the Pilot Road3 and the Dunlops RoadSmart. Not many other options for the front tire , actually Pilots are known to be a bit radical for sportsbikes with agressive steering angle and more front weight. That might be an advantage for a bike like the GP.

Bridgestones BT023 ?. Any positive feedback ?.

New Scorpions seem to be better but after talking to the tyres guy, he said they are still a bit on the dirt side so not the choice for a 100% road use.
lstrbrr

Post by lstrbrr »

Hi guys

I've got the H83 and getting matched tyres for it was not easy- there seemed to be plenty of combos for the 150 rear. I settled on a pair of Conti Road Attacks - the original Scorpion Syncs I now understand are discontinued with no direct replacement. It's a bit early to draw any meaningful mileage comparisons with the Scorpions ( I got about 5500 out of the rear) but they seem to grip well in both the wet and dry (I've not tested their buoyancy in the floods) and were no more expensive than the BT023s I've got on another bike.
toggy

Post by toggy »

nfitz wrote:Standard GP.
Took bike to a run on Sunday and the tyres performed well. Front end feel was much better ... Considering any 19in front wheel will always feel light.
Dunlop RoadSmarts are also available in 19 front 15 rear and have a better dry performance but the Mitchelins are better wett and OK dry.
How are the tyres performing ?. I'm awaiting the arrival of my GP , which had a brand new MICHELIN Anakee 2 fitted for the mot. I was thinking of going for a more road bias tyre like the pilot road 3 or roadsmart. Has anyone got the Anakee tyre fitted? What they like .
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

I have gone for anakee 2 so far I like the feel of them better than tourance and tourance exp, will have too see how they last with my abuse.
The rubber band is the early tubeless, later bikes have the alpina sts system every spoke has its own seal which out of six wheels only my granpasso front is not leaking.
toggy

Post by toggy »

I've had my GP a week now ,with a new anakee2 on the rear and a near illegal 1.5mm Bridgestone battlax BT020 on the front . Still feels really planted in the corners . I do like the tread pattern of the anakee2 ,which i think suits this tye of bike . I was going to go more road bias but as money is tight I think I will go for a new anakee 2 front tyre instead of replacing both tyres . Fingers crossed I won't have an issue with the rear wheel as I was told it was replaced under warranty. I just have to keep an eye on tyre pressures.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Covered over 1,000 miles now pssibly more on the Mitchelins and the are poving to be excelent in all weathers.

Over cooked it in the dry on a bend and just increased the lean angle and scraped the pegs no trauma form the tyres.

Highly reccomend them so far.
rrey

Post by rrey »

Hi guys!.

Just tested the Dunlops: RoaSmart front and SportSmart rear. EXCELLENT grip!. I can´t tell about the Pilots but these Dunlops are indeed much much grippy than the Tourances EXP.

Shame the footpegs and side stand do not allow more clearance to the ground when leaning the bike but still getting to the very edge of the rear tire wihout a single complaint.

Best regards

Rrey