GP - high speed wobble - any cures?

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
nfitz

GP - high speed wobble - any cures?

Post by nfitz »

I have noticed that my GP develops a "weave" over 120mph. I have tried to power through it but it gets worse and extremely dangerous.

The feeling is like the front end being light - I've tried moving forwards on the bike but it doesn't cure itself. Im riding 1 up and have not started messing with the suspension set-up and ride heights.

Any suggestions ...
toggy

Re: GP - high speed wobble - any cures?

Post by toggy »

I noticed my old bike starting to weave at aprox 125mph ,I put it down to the bikes aerodynamics ,it's a tall bike and not exactly a hayabusa .
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

OK so it might not be just me and my bike - good(?) to hear.... anyone elso wound a GP up and got the same.

I cant beleive though theat the motoring press didnt ragg the GP when it was launched and report any instability at 120+ though.

I've owned a BMW 1200GS and this was OK all the way up to its ceiling fo 130.

maybe I need to raise the rear ride height and drop the front forks through a few mm and see if it changes anything.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Mine does it if you have the screen in the very upright position..if you rake it backwards it seems to become more stable..of courser this may be dependant upon the height of the rider, but worth playing with before messing with other more complicated bits....
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Thanks for the tip - yes I have the screen in its most upright position. Next time im out and can open it up Ill try lowering the screen before playing around with the suspension set-up
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

of course, this was whilst travelling on a German autobahn or on the Isle of Man.... :wink:
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I only have the screen at the highest position if it's absolutely tipping it down, which is when I'd be riding really slowly (well, slower than when it's a nice sunny day...).

One day last August when I had the screen in the normal position (i.e. - raked back) I wound it on over the Mountain on the IoM and didn't notice any wobble; not sure how fast that was though as I was hanging on for dear life :D It was probably a little more than 100. The panniers and top box weren't on, by the way, but the small tank bag was.

If you want outright speed, get the Corsaro - that doesn't wobble, however fast you're going :wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

I'll be out on Sunday (if its not raining too much) and will try the screen lowered and find myself a "private" road to do some speed trials.

Ive had a Corsaro and saw 157 on the clock (GPS checked) on the autobahn back form the Nurenburg ring. It was de-cat and mapped by Alex at Maniac Motors so so I know what one is like! Ive wanted the GP for a while to add the weather protection, luggage etc but not compromising the motor too much.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

OK so I have tried various screen angles and yes there is some improvement by lowering the screen.

fully uright its 115 it starts a violent wobble to fully lowered is maybe 125 - yet there is still more to come form the engine.

So whats the solution?
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Mine had a wobble until I set suspension to factory settings now every thing ok. Only adjust preload to match passenger and luggage.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Thanks - Ill get the book out and re-set everything to "factory" and start playing form there.