Fuel tank vent

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
toggy

Fuel tank vent

Post by toggy »

I have noticed lately that there is a large pressure difference when I open the fuel tank . It seem to be getting worse as the last time I open the tank ( I was showing corsaro Chris by the way ) the tank noticeably expanded. I understand there is a valve which regulates pressure in the tank , and not just a breather hose . I did ask at 3x when it was not such a big issue a while back ,an was told it was normal as the valve regulater had an operating window which would mean some tanks would release pressure quicker than others . I can't help thinking its not normal ,the bike is running fine ,but I dont want to find a split tank and petrol everwhere one morning . Can anyone explain further the workings of this fuel tank breather.
corsaro chris

Re: Fuel tank vent

Post by corsaro chris »

I was there and it was a quite noticable hiss of air into the tank when the cap was opened... :!:

Even worse was the way the tank and the plastic panels covering it suddenly expanded with air entering. Definately something that does not happen with mine. I know that some other owners are experiencing cracked panels - could this be the cause?

By the by - first Tuesday in July is a proposed get together for a run in to Poole for Bike Night; details to be posted soon under events. And later in the month it's Italian Day at Sammy Millers...

See you there?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
toggy

Post by toggy »

Does anyone know how the tank comes off the bike ? . I want to have a look and see if any hoses are pinched .
toggy

Post by toggy »

Hi All
After getting a reply from MM factory , They suggested I checked the black vent hoses either side of the radiator (x2 ?). I found a hose on the right hand side was kinked .I adjusted the hose and immediately ,air escaped from the tank .Problem sorted.You can identify this hose by removing the right hand side radiator cover .The otherside has two hoses , One of which is the fuel cap water drainage hose ,the other is i guess another tank vent ?

Dear Toggy,
please check the vent pipes on your tank, they are on the two sides of the water radiator.
Sometimes, perhaps moving your tank, you (or someone else) could have crushed the pipes.
Please tell us if you'll find something crushed or not.
Best regards
Customer Care
Motomorini forever