Should I buy a Granpasso?

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Anders

Should I buy a Granpasso?

Post by Anders »

Should I get a Granpasso?

I have tested various bikes over the last two years: BMW GS 1200, Multistrada 1200, Tiger Adventure 1200, Yamaha Tenere 1200, Triumph Tiger 800/XC, Tiger 1050, BMW GS 800, GS 650, you name them... Not least have I had the Granpasso for a day. This bike blew me away with its riding experience, no-nonsense and power.

Can anyone give some pros and cons on this bike? I am biased in the way that I already like it by its performance and looks, but would really like to make an informed decision...

I would also like to know your experiences in regards to add-ons, spare parts and accessories such as panniers, heated grips (my country is cold) and what not, any additional info in favour of the Granpasso is most appreciated!

Looking forward to hear what you think!

Cheers, Anders

edit: I also wonder if you are aware of differences in the bike specs between 2008 and up until the current factory sold bike. Cheers!
Red S

Re: Should I buy a Granpasso?

Post by Red S »

Hi Anders

I have a 2009 Granpasso in white with a red frame. I wasn't expecting to buy it, but after trying it by chance at a Triumph showroom, I was convinced. I'm in the South of England, which has limited servicing options. You could get most work done anywhere, but I think you need a MM dealer to turn off the service symbol. I 'd be delighted if that isn't the case, as the nearest one to me is 100 miles away.

I have had a few of problems with the bike.

1. It kept stalling when coasting to a stop in 1st with the clutch in. I have 95% cured this with a power commander, a lambda sensor from a ducati 848 and using 97 RON fuel. It very rarely stalls now, and makes 118 bhp at the rear wheel.

2. The indicators are too dim. LED seems to be the way to go

3. The spoked wheels slowly leak air out of the tyres. Inner tubes cure this, as does individually sealing each spoke end.

4. A radiator hose has come off twice, forcing me to make roadside repairs using a standard plumbers jubilee clip, which seems to have done the job.

On the positive side

1. It handles amazingly well, dragging the footpegs on a trackday and outbraking sports bikes.

2. I can get over 220 miles to a tank quite easily

3. It accelerates hard and sounds great

4. The most comfortable riding position of any bike I have ridden, and outperforms my old VFR in every department (except perhaps reliability)

5. Everyone interested in bikes wants a closer look. The build quality is high as is the quality of the standard parts (Brembo and Ohlins). Mine has been ridden in everything except snow and still looks almost new after a good wash.

6. A pillion makes almost no difference to the handling. Crank the rear preload up (no tools needed) and off you go.

Lastly, the factory seems to be up and running again, and respond to any email queries quite promptly.

In summary, this is a great bike, with a few quirky faults that can be fixed. Knowing everything I now know about it, I would still buy it over anything else
toggy

Post by toggy »

Two years trying out bikes !.get out there and ride ,your missing out mate . All bikes have their quirks, the GP is no different . The GP is an xclusive ,well made bike .my advise Buy one .i did twice ! :)
poco loco

Post by poco loco »

i had my service light turned of in a ducati shop with out any problems and for free :D

BTW : don't buy one , i want it to be a exclusive bike :twisted: (if there to many running around its done ) :lol:
padgman

Post by padgman »

note ref to Power Commander - can't see that they do one for GP?
Red S

Post by Red S »

Its a Power Commander 3 USB for the Corsaro with custom mapping done by HM racing in Edenbridge, Kent. Fuelling at low revs has improved, along with Torque and BHP. It also doesn't run so lean, thus keeping the temperature down, although it still gets a bit hot in traffic.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Thanks guys, I have not been on the forum since I posted this so it was a nice surprise to see all your answers! The 2013 revision looks really great as well, so I guess it can easily be a Granpasso to replace my old Honda Bros :) . Thanks again!