Extra cooling

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Red S

Extra cooling

Post by Red S »

My GP has a power commander and makes maybe 130-135 bhp. It also gets a little too hot, although not as bad
as before fitting the PC. The expansion tank can overflow if you turn the bike off at 96 degrees +. I've exchanged a few emails with the factory, who suggest fitting a Corsaro oil radiator. This seems to make sense as the engine is the same and is making similar power. Has anyone done this and what was the effect?
MickeyMoto

Re: Extra cooling

Post by MickeyMoto »

My Corsaro runs hot in town, and soon gets to 90. At this point the fans turn on and the engine drops to 85. Good in winter as the air drawn through the rads warms the hands nicely....

I run the expansion tank with very little coolant, I cannot find the min max marks anyway, and do wonder if the tanks may be over filled on other people who have had overflowing problems?

Maybe a change to the 'map' that switches on the fans to 90 may help, and not turn off the engine until the temp has dropped?
toggy

Post by toggy »

The GP and corsaro engine are the same aside from the state of tune ,so I'd see no problem with fitting an oil cooler . Alternatively have you thought about evans waterless coolant ? ,this could help . Check out the video which although is car based ,the same applies to a bike.
http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/news/whe ... rsion-./43
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I've noticed that having the coolant in the bottom third of the header tank works best. As Mike says, too much and it will fill the tank once the engine has run up to temperature. With the GP on a run to the NEC last winter I checked the header on arrival to find that the water was pushed hard against the filler: I took a small amount out and when back to the bike later the tank was about one quarter full. I've run it like that ever since.

The factory now fit a different pipe and rubber connector from the water pump area, and might consider offering this as an aftermarket fitting (check out the web site for a little more detail). The clip holding the hose on is also now a screw fixture, and tightening it at service an additional service action.

The GP fans come on at about 98 Celcius and switch out at 95 / 94 - The Corsaro comes on just over 90 and goes off at 88; the Corsaro runs much cooler (something the factory acknowledges), even in the hot weather; 32 - 33 C across Oxfordshire on Thursday. THe GP has far more bodywork around the radiator, this might not help, although I suspect that the main cause is that the GP runs with a leaner mix; any comments on this?

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Red S

Post by Red S »

Thanks for the various suggestions. I didn't know the Corsaro runs cooler. Aside from the state of tune, could this be due to the oil cooler?
My GP was running very lean, and was typically running 1-2 degrees hotter than with a PC fitted. Time for a little think.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I've heard the Corsaro described as part water, part fuel cooled... :(

Certainly the fans seem to be programmed to come on at a lower temperature with the Corsaro. The oil radiator is bound to help, but in a typical traffic situation (town, stop start riding, low speeds), probably not as much as you think. Then again, Morini put an oil radiator on the Dart, which wasn't overly endowed with speed or power, but had a very effective fairing that directed air on to it - once it was moving quickly enough...

The prototype Gran Ferro was shown with an oil cooler / radiator, so it's probably relatively easy to fit?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

There is an oil cooler kit listed in the old granpasso IPC. The scrambler fan works at same temp as granpasso but generally runs cooler I agree with Chris and think bodywork has most influence.