Gran Passo

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
morinipete

Styling

Post by morinipete »

It's been bugging me for a long time, as I couldn't quite put my finger on where the styling cues for the GP came from, but these views of the NLM bikes has finally cracked it.

It's that bug-eyed Rastafarian newt from Star Wars, Ja Ja Binks. If you don't believe me have a quick search on Google. It's uncanny..... :D

I realise some people will find it beautiful however. Each to his own................
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Morini Pete,
Somebody at 3X suggested the bike looked like Brad Pitt's brother: 'Gonzo'.

IMHO none of the adventure bikes are beautiful and more 'functionally rugged' rather like a brick-like 4X4 or SUV.

Other than the unique frontal styling the GP hasn't got too much to worry about: as you say "each to his own".

Kind Regards
Stephen R
Stefanos

GP fuel consumption

Post by Stefanos »

Hello everyone I am new to MM forum and hopefully will own one next year
here in Greece even though we are next door to the Morini's still waiting (end of Oct) for a test ride bike.

Regarding fuel consumption, I contacted the company directly to get some answers in city riding comes out to almost 6.7 lt/100km and out of city around 8lt/100km. I think that's alot (do the math on mpg consumption to see what iam talking about)

I currently have Ducati Multi 620 (great bike) and those numbers seem high!!! let me know what you think
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Welcome to the MMRC forum!

THe UK importer is quoting a range of almost 300 miles for the Gran Passo. It's a 27 litre tank and so that is in excess of 50 mpg. If it's true - I'd be interested...

Good luck with the Morini waiting - but why not catch a ferry to Italy? :wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

A lower version of the GP has just been launched at the Milan Bike Show. It is now also available in red...

The English language version of the Morini web site does not have details, but the Italian version has a range of images, including several of a very butch looking Scrambler....

Bike has a test of the GP in this months issue - 30 mpg - ouch :shock:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Well, I've ridden the bike and it's very nice! I'll need a longer run before making my mind up, but for its size it's easy to manouver, comfy and not at all heavy feeling. Morini have launched a version with a lower seat height which might be worth looking at for all of those who are less than 2m high (that must include a majority of Italians as well?)

MCN have a comparison test in this weeks issue (19th November) with a Tiger and GS, and although they like it, their conclusion is that it is no BMW (that's a relief then). Bike have also a short test in the current (December?) issue and they are closer to the bikes true purpose - a sports adventurer - and their view is far more positive.

AS ever - make your own mind up!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Amen to that Chris!

I didn't think the MCN review was overly generous -But their biggest gripe was regarding the seat comfort.

The MCN test rider looked a hefty guy and as a result may have found the bike particularly uncomfortable.

One of Triumph's great strengths is in acting upon customer feedback and there is every reason to believe MM are keen to do so too.

If this criticism becomes a trend we'll see if these seats don't get upgraded and who knows: even as a warranty item?!

KTM took a while to rid their 'Adventure' of a plank-like seat and the
Ducati's Multistrada had similar issues: In both cases Gel seats were the answer.

I have a suspicion that the GP already has one?

Fuel consumption seems to be the only other rub: if the bike encourages harder riding that its contemporaries, then poorer figures should be expected....Big v-twin + hard use= Bigger Fuel Bill.

Not that I am in the least bit biased!

Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

Grand Passo

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

I like the look of the lower seat version and particilarly like the red however the hard seat and the fuel consumption seems to be a general complaint with most owners. Certainly my own 9.5 suffers from both however as a loyal Morini rider I forgive the bike for its failings and try to enjoy all it good points, which it has many. Whether gel seats are the answer I believe that if an option was available (other manufacturers offer them) then owners would justify the cost and may be walk a little easier after reaching their desination. With regards to fuel consumption this can be determine by the rider and lets face it it is still a 1200 V after all. :D
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Emmo

The lower seat version makes a lot of sense - even as a taller person: you don't necessarily want to be 'paddling' your feet to stay upright.

Especially on loose surfaces or when fully laden (Think 'longest way down!).

The lower seat height model has a wider rear wheel too - Not sure of this then offers a broader choice of tyre options.

The red does look good.

White still does it for me...

Great thing about the GP colour range is that none of them have dodgy graphics and thank the stars that the 'Camel' name wasn't resurrected:
the journalists would have had a field day.

Regards
Stephen R