Gran Passo

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
corsaro chris

Gran Passo

Post by corsaro chris »

The Gran Passo seems to be creating interest amongst both the press and the buying public. My friendly local dealer says that he has interest from several perspective buyers already, and that the bike will be available from April 2008.

It certainly sounds the business, with extras like heated grips, luggage and even a centre stand. Will it tempt more people to Morini - is it in tune with modern needs or will it appeal to those with a more practical outlook?

The proof of the pudding is in the riding (to mix metaphors) but it will be interesting to hear what others think... Over to Forum members!

:?:
V-Fun

Gran Passo

Post by V-Fun »

Chris,
Interested to read your comments on the upcoming 'Gran Passo'.

I think it looks great and I love the headlight arrangement.

In theory the bike should do well - Providing it is 'right' at launch and doesn't spawn endless Road Tests referring to fuelling issues or other defects, which blighted the first reviews of the 'Corsaro'.

In performance terms it will be a match for any of its peers and l suspect one of it's closest potential rivals will be the Benelli Tre-K series.

Like the Tre-K it is bound to be compared to the R1200GS and will not beat that bike for practicality "No shaft drive blah,blah, blah"

Perhaps Fuel range (or lack of) could kill this bike?

Dynamically and with that engine; it will be one heck of a ride!

....and the white version looks as good as anything out there.

Stephen R
guernseybozrah

Newbie from Guernsey

Post by guernseybozrah »

Hi everyone,
Just got the ok tonight to come onto the forum and, primarily I have done so because of the Gran Passo.
I am suprised not to see more interest on it as i feel it will generate good sales for MM.
I think your right to a degree that the Tre-k will be one of its rivals however, there are a few others namely the Ulysses from Buell, and MG's new Stelvio due to hit the showrooms at around the same time and quiet a few others, to many to name.
For those of us that have been on big trailies for some time, the showrooms are a good time for us with good bikes from 650 upwards being in abundance.
I can't remember having so many wonderful european adventure tourers to choose from and now this year is even better with the GP hitting the showrooms in a couple of months.
On Saturday I had my first chance to climb onboard a Moto Morini which was a Veloce, wow!!
Impressed, was I, everything about it was great and the sound was so good.
However, I need to be more upright hence the reason why I ride big trail bikes, enter the Gran Passo.
I am looking forward to the first media test on it and clapping my eyes on it as and when it hits the channel island showrooms.
i shall be popping in to see if there is anymore news on it from time to time, so if there's any more post it for reading

GB
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi GB, and welcome to the forum!

I understand that the Gran Passo is due to come into the UK sometime in April. 3X, the importer, are accepting orders, as are several other dealers including North Leicester; I am not sure what the situation is with your supplier on the Island?

I have had my Corsaro for 18 months and 6,600 miles of mainly trouble free riding. Several other owners have reported problems - hunt around the site and you'll soon see what these are. The club visited the factory last year, and we were impressed with the commitment to quality displayed by Morini - but as ever much depends on your local dealer...

Let us know what you think when you ride one, so

Good Riding!
:D
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the welcome.
I envy your visit to the factory, must have been something else.
I do have a little concern over the fuel economy though, used to 40+ from my BM Adventure and the Aprilia Caponord, however with MM aiming at the Adventure Tourer market I'm sure they will aim to improve on that.
I have to correct myself It was a Corsaro not a Veloce that I rode by the way.
Motorama in Jersey seem keen to get into Guernsey now they have premises and are in the process of finalising a deal over here with the owner for certain franchises.
Our local dealer Trev's was more than a little pesimistic saying that he like to sell his Corsaro and Veloce before getting a Gran Passo in, that doesn't look good for people like me who are showing an interest.
Look out Trev's Motorama is coming to town.
Incidentally, i have been to 3x and was impressed, the only problem is they are the supplier for Guernsey and possibly Jersey.
I'll have to wait and see who delivers and who doesn't.

Regards

John
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

John;

Interesting copmments. Look at this for a current test on Morinis; http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/b ... 40086.html

With my Corsaro I got 42 mpg when running in - the Gran Passo is claimed to have optimised design to improve fuel economy (as is the 9.5) so probably delivers slightly better figures :?:

As you say - proof will be in the riding, and the first bkes should be in mid / end of April. We shall see then!

God riding
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Thanks for the figures chris, I don't suppose it will average mpg in the instruments so gonna be difficult to substantiate until roadtesters get their hand on it, that is unless the factory provide the figures when its released, inflated though they maybe.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

GB - the factory very wisely doesn't quote fuel consumption figures! :wink:

I would expect about 45mpg, if the motor is as soft as the 9.5 which runs well (on the one ride I had on it) at reasonable speeds. The latest Corsaro has an improved map which also improves consumption (looks like the Factory has a complex about this).

My exhausts ran sooty just before the 5,000 km service, cured by resetting the mixture at the dealers; it hasn't gone out of adjustment since and I have now had the 10,000 km (6,250 miles) service.

I am on my second rear tyre; the original lasted just on 6,000 miles, so I am probably a gentle rider...

Of course, the Gran Passo will be a totally different beast, and there is also the new "Scrambler" to consider, although that is probably just a fashion statement (but then, aren't they all?)

CC
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Thanks Chris.

Didn't mean to upset you which is what it seams from the ! mark.
Just trying to get some feedback about a marque of which i know very little.

Apologies

John
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

John - don't worry, I am not upset... its just that the modern Morinis do drink fuel, and the factory seem to want to make them a little more economical. Just so that they don't overdo it and take away all of the fun :D

Keep asking the questions

Best wishes

CC
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Thats good news Chris, phew.
Hate to have just joined a forum and got someone's back by saying the wrong thing so soon.
Incidentally, I understand your point about the fuelling but today's modern "V" twin when in its in the guise of an adventure tourer, and lets face it that the market MM will be trying to get a slice of, needs to be as compete a package as possible.
The choice of this style of bike now leaves the potential buyer in a bit of a dilema as there's quite few to choose from out there.

John
V-Fun

GranPasso

Post by V-Fun »

Guys,
I have been off the site for a couple of weeks or so.

Enjoyed reading the thread and unlike some other forums - It's nice to read a mature and considered debate.

My earlier thoughts concerning fuel consumption would seem to echo general concerns - But most modern Bikes tend towards 'clean and thirsty'.

I have visited some areas of France where the opportunities for re-fuelling
are less than reliable (especially on a Sunday!) and would not like to leave a valuable/desirable bike stranded, while I search for fuel!!

Still; cannot wait to demo the 'GranPasso' and aesthetically(IMHO) it looks 'on the money'.

Regards
Stephen R
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

I am with you steve with regards to the lack of availabilty of fuel in
certain areas around our wonderful world and, if, like in countries like Australia you have to go a long way to your next fuel station, the last thing you have to be thinking about when your out for a Sunday ride is carrying 5ltrs in top box because your bike drinks faster than a ladette on a friday night out.
I would expect to see something in the region of 35 to 40mpg on average.
My GS Adventure is used for commuting to work and It shows, on average 44.8, and thats nearly all town work. I reckon if you took a look as the Ulysses on Buell.com and checked out there figures, thats what we should be looking for. Theres no point burning fuel then throwing it out the exhaust, it just won't get through euro emissions. Most modern FI systems are capable of leaning it off when needed and giving us more gas when we need it.

John R
V-Fun

GranPasso

Post by V-Fun »

John,
Pleased to read your last post.

I have owned a Buell Ulysses and despite the things I disliked about it -
It was great on fuel.
Most certainly got high 40's MPG and if I took it easy, into the low 50's.

The GranPasso has so much more aesthetic appeal and finesse, it deserves to succeed - whether that's reflected in UK sales or not.

It will be interesting to review our pre-launch comments, after the bike has been well and truly evaluated and see how we fare!

Regards
Stephen R
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Like you Stephen I look forward to the first review.
I was hoping that with the purchase of a Cosaro by Alan Cathcart of Motorcycle Sport & Leisure, that he may be one of the first to provide us with an insight into how it performs.
Incidentally, whats your poison at the moment?

Regards

John