Gran Passo

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
V-Fun

GranPasso

Post by V-Fun »

Hi John,
My poison, as in current bike(s)?

A timely question: Right now I have a Moto Guzzi Griso and a Benelli Tornado RS.

BUT by the middle of next week I will have a Corsaro and a VFR 800 V-tech.
The Honda purely for the practical side of biking and because I need to have use of a faired bike.

The Corsaro was well priced, very low mileage and too tempting!

If the GranPasso lives up to expectation and my Corsaro proves to be worthy; I may well get one early in 2009(maybe even an ex-demo?).

Initially my thoughts were that the Guzzi 'Stelvio' sounded promising.
Functionally it is probably great - The styling of the fairing, in particular is plain awful.
To be fair; The quality of modern Guzzis is very good and it is well priced.

Due to the Piaggio link between Guzzi and Aprilia I guess, sadly we won't see a replacement for the 'Capo Nord'.
Something I was up for two years ago..

For now I am 'Corsaro Man' (Well in my world anyway!).

Regards
Stephen R

[/b]
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Guys;

It looks like the Gran Passo will be delayed by a few months - the word is that it will now be arriving in the UK in early June :(

Availible now is the Corsaro Avio, which is slightly cheaper than the 91/2 at Euros 10770 (compared to 10870) - I don't know when and if the Avio reaches the UK, but at least one MRC member likes it better that the standard Corsaro!

Steven - good luck with the Corsaro - you'll have to bring it to a MRC meet soon - the closest is possibly the Berks Bucks and Oxon, who meet on the third Wednesday of the month at The Bell, Aldworth from about 8 ish - OS reference is SU556797...

CC
V-Fun

GranPasso

Post by V-Fun »

Chris,
Will have to come along to the MRC, when the clocks change.
My work base is in Newbury.
I won't be commuting on the Corsaro and I'm hardly 'The Prince of Darkness'.

As to the 'Avio': rather like the Ducati 848/1098 scenario it could well be more user-friendly.

I suspect it may have better fuel consumption too..

Re. The GranPasso: I understand that some deposits have been taken, based-upon the bike retailing at c£7700.
My sources suggest that the bike is unlikely to come in anything less than £8K.
In part due to the poor exchange rate between the £/euro and due to high demand in the rest of Europe.

Time will tell...

Regards
Stephen R
guernseybozrah

Post by guernseybozrah »

Shame that the GP is going to be late arriving, some may not wait and plump for a Stelvio instead, that is those with big trailie types in mind.
Aprilia's replacement for the Capo will be a 1200 but not for another year or so due to the arrival of the V4, all hands on deck for that one, that's according to my source.
Its a shame i found that I felt to "over the front" on the Cosaro, maybe the new user freindly one would be better for me.
I'm hoping a lot of these new models will be at the beaulei show at the beginning of July, I certainly hope so because I've booked a week off from work and will be over for it, staying with friends in Ringwood.
Incidentally, I still have Benelli's Tre-K to look at.

John R
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

John;

Agree with you on the Corsaro riding position - it does feel a bit unusual at first. Now, of course, I love it... :D

The Factory web-site has all the prices of the models for 2008. This is in Euros, and of course the Sterling / Euro change (adjustment in the trade...) is doing nothing for 3X margins and prices for Morinis (and spares - talk to one Arthur Farrow) in the UK at present.

I guess that Morinis will remain a rare beast for a little while yet.. :wink:

CC
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Steve;

Would be good to see you at the MRC - the roads are a bit twisty, but the B4009 up from Newbury to Goring isn't too bad - its what Morinis are made for!

Might see you in April?

CC
V-Fun

GranPasso

Post by V-Fun »

Chris
April sounds good to me...B roads are something to relish and by then I should have a feel for the Corsaro too!

I too agree with the comments about the Corsaro's 'over the front' riding position.
Initially it put me off the bike - But having ridden several other 'nakeds' that
have the same feel, I think it is typical of the genre.

Regards
Stephen R
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

All;

Rumour has it that the Gran Passo may be arriving over the next couple of weeks...

MCN have printed a brief test of the new Sport in the last copy of the paper, and several dealers are starting to promote serious interest in this and the GP now that summers here (he says this with no trace of irony, it having rained all day today, bank holiday Monday... :roll: )

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Chris,
Perhaps a wet launch will prove the metal of the new 'GP' and it does have, what appears to be a decent screen!

Looking forward to riding the 'GP' and in the meantime a wet weather ride on the MV 1078RR should keep me on my toes (or on my backside!).

Regards
Stephen R
touringfanbikes

Post by touringfanbikes »

It is refreshing to see a site that does talk sense rather than the usual **ss takes and moronic comments. i am very interested in the Gran Passo and have been for a long time since seeing a picture a few months ago, i test road a 9.5 to get a feel of the type of engine as i have an FJR1300 and am used to a 4 rather than a twin. i was quite impressed with it and when i tested a Veloce, it blew my mind, wow, was that quick and the nose came up with very little effort, huge grin factor. I gather that 3X are the main importers for Moto Morini and i spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they said that there would be a big launch day for the GP with MCN present etc on July 15 2008 for the great unveiling everyone seems to be waiting for. Please check with them before you ride hundreds of miles to find out i got it wrong, u know what Italians are like with keeping times !! my only concern is the fact that its not shaft drive, which is a shame as it really is the best looking traillie out there and if they get the fuel consumption correct, its going to be a corker. can any tell me if they have concerns about getting spares etc although i gather it has a 3 year warranty on it but is all very well unless u have to wait weeks/months for the parts. Does any who has got a Morini have problem with spares? Appreciate your comments.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

MCN have a test of the Gran Passo in this weeks edition - they like it (but then, what do they know?) :wink:

Out of interest, I've just got back from touring the Highlands on the Corsaro - 1,400 miles in six days, shortest trip over 200 miles (around Ullapool, if you can find it...) with a tank bag and back seat pack. The bike performed very well, although I did make sure to keep it topped up with fuel - 130 miles full to reserve light on!

Having been to the factory I can confirm that they are pretty hot on service - spares are available but some are expensive - see other comments on the site. But the quality of the machine is more than good enough - for me at least.

I'll see you at 3X on the 15th July!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
touringfanbikes

Post by touringfanbikes »

Hiya Chris

Thanx for the info, i must admit i'm quite excited about test riding the GP and look forward to the 15th, hope to see u there. in the mean time i will pop out tomorrow and get MCN.

cheers Rob.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Attention All;

Looks like we're slightly wrong with the launch date for the GranPasso - according to 3X Morini are starting production of this bike in early July, and so delivery is likely to be later in the month (or even later?). They are taking space at the Beaulieu show in early July with the full range for all those interested... :?:

The GP has generated a fair amount of interest and as a result the Scrambler has been postponed until the autumn so that they can produce enough GPs to meet demand - but the Sport is in production now. Details of this are on the MM Italian language web site.

Thanks to 3X for the above info,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

GP tested in this months MCS&L by one Mr Cathcart, who, you have to remember, owns a 2006 Corsaro...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Rumour persists that the GP is about to be launched...

At Mallory Festival of 1,000 Bikes NLM hap hoped to have one on display, but none were available.

The story has been quoted that they are to be lauched on July 15th (tomorrow) but 3X deny this. Anyone out there know any more? :?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"