Wheels Leaking Air

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
gnatsum351

Wheels Leaking Air

Post by gnatsum351 »

Does anyone have any advice or experienced constant flat tyres due to air leaking from the spokes at the nipples on the rim? My Granpasso now has terrible leaks and I cant stop them. The front loses about 3 to 6 psi a day. The rear now drops to about 8 to 10 psi over night.
At first I thought it was slow punctures so have got new tyres but the problem is the same.
I have tried to tighten the spokes but don't want to go too far in case I take the wheels out of true. Some of the spokes I tightened got better but some its made no difference.
When I had the tyres fitted I asked to have inner tubes put in as well but the company said they couldn't for two reasons. 1. the tyres say tubeless,( but I thought this didn't make a difference). The second reason was that the spokes and nuts stick right into the wheel and the tyre fitting company thought it would not be safe as the spokes could pierce the inner tube and if it happened at speed could be dangerous.

Anyone any ideas that might help me? Its so bad now I can't ride my bike for worry of flat tyres!
toggy

Re: Wheels Leaking Air

Post by toggy »

Hiya , I had exactly the same problem (as do a lot of others) on my 2009 bike .I contacted the Morini factory ,who told me to replace the spoke seals .this was a none starter for me as getting the correct item and having them fitted would cost God knows how much . I just had tubes fitted .this completely sorted the issue,and I never had any problems . The only good reason I have heard not to fit tubes in a tubeless rim is when off-roading with lower tyre pressure the tyres themselves can rotate on the rim ,and if you have a tube ,the air valve might be severed .if you think there may be a problem with spokes damaging the tube ( I never did) ask the fitter to inspect them and tape them over with recomended rim tape/ duct tape.

Ps did you sort out your steering lock ? Mine was caused by ill adjusted steering lock bolts .
gnatsum351

Post by gnatsum351 »

Toggy

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have done a bit more research and it looks like getting the seals done on the spokes is going to be expensive so will go down the route of inner tubes. I think I will get the tyres taken off (they are new) inspect the rims and if things look ok get some rim tape and go over the ends of the spokes. Then put the tubes in and get the tyres put on.
My only worry is some of the forums for other bikes are saying a puncture on a tube tyre is dangerous as you lose air too quickly and you can crash if you are at high speed. But then any puncture on a bike is a possible crash if you are at high speed.

Yes I sorted out my steering lock. Same as you the lock adjusters were not set right.
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Use Effeto Caffe Latex. I have it in both bikes comes highly recommended by Italian forums. I found best with 600ml in rear and 400ml in front and bonus is you are covered for punctures.
This only works with later Alpina STS system not the rubber band with 2 clips.
gnatsum351

Post by gnatsum351 »

Butchamphib

Thanks for the advice. I will get some and give it a go. Toggy is right to get the O rings replaced is going to be costly. I contacted Alpina UK and their reply basically said to get any service parts for the system I would have to go through Moto Morini as Alpina won't supply direct. They also advised that a quarter turn to tighten the nipples after removing the lock ring may help so I will try that as well and see how I get on.
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

I had the same problem with my Scrambler (rear wheel initially), I took it back to Three Cross who were the UK Morini importers (though the factory had just shut as this was 2010) and they put an inner tube in. I assumed as they were the importers and had done this on numerous of the 1200s with spoked wheels it was a safe thing to do.

When the front wheel had the same problem I took it to my local tyre fitters and they had no concerns to fit an inner tube, in fact the main guy there commented that of course they are going to leak as the rim and spokes flex.

This was all 4 years ago now with no further problems.

cheers,
Robin
gnatsum351

Post by gnatsum351 »

Thanks to everyone for the information, advice and experiences.

I went down the café latte route. I had a cup of coffee. Ordered the Effeto Caffe Latex on Amazon. It has been in for a week now and no air leaks. The tyres stay at pressure.
If it keeps working I will wait until I need new tyres and then consider if I move to inner tubes. But for now the Effeto Caffe Latex is working great.