Speed error code 36

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Speed error code 36

Post by Painter »

Hi
Last weekend I returned from a very wet ride and my speedo started to become irregular , jumping around etc, I had my heated grips on, then the engine management light came on, it went out again after a bit but the speedo stopped working all together.
Today I took the bike out after having checked every connection on the bike, cleaned and checked with acf50, pulled the dash apart (tricky) cleaned and dry it , although it did not appear wet, just being though.
I get speed error 36 on the dash when I toggle to the right, no speedo or trip mileage and the orange light is on.
Bike runs fine, poss maybe stalls a little more when cold but no real issues.
My feeling is that the sensor on the rear caliper has failed, any ideas before going there.
The fuel warning light comes on when the bike runs out of fuel, but this is an old issue, I hope it is unrelated and does not entail a new dash.
I had a look on the duc forum as I have a 1098 and the same fault code references the same issues, still non the wiser!

Many thanks
Steve
morini_tom

Re: Speed error code 36

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Steve,

Your suspicion about the wheel speed sensor is probably right- Common issue on the water cooled Morini. The thread over on the corsaro board should help you out:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3153

Should be easily sorted with a clean/adjust of the sensor, or worst case replacement of the sensor. The sensors are readily available- may even be the same as the one on your 1098...

Tom
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi tom
Thanks for the link, really useful, it's just as I have experienced, the rain has been biblical here in Wales so probably shorted the rear wheel sensor as the rubber was split.

The 1098 looks the same so I will have a float on eBay.

The upshot of all of this is that the bikes wiring has had a thorough going over.
I hope changing the sensor will clear the error code, or will it be a case I'df disconnecting the battery to reset to default mode.

Cheers Steve
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

The fault code will clear itself once you start riding with a working speed sensor again. May need a short distance or a couple of rides with a keyoff in between. Certainly doesn't need a battery disconnect.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi tom
Thanks for the update, I have just bought one from a 1098, I measured the sensors length it's 15 mm same as a duke hopefully it will fit, so will be able to inform those with similar issues .

Cheers Steve
Painter

Post by Painter »

Quick update on the speed sensor issue,
I fitted a 1098 one, went out for a run all working fine error cleared on the dash and the engine management light went out, all ok .
Yesterday, when I came to a stop the speedo was registering a figure and not zero, this is a little erratic but eventually settles at zero.
I removed the sensor and checked the gap, reshimmed it so there is a greater air gap, my question is does anyone else have experience of this problem, my instinct suggests that it is a gap regaled issue.
Cheers Steve
miguel

Post by miguel »

Hi Steve,

I cant say I have ever looked at the speedo to see how long it takes to settle on zero but next time I am on the bike I will check.

How long did it take for your speedo to settle as I have had this on other speedo's which is all down to the sample rate? If its a couple of seconds and seems accurate when moving at a contant speed I wouldnt worry about it as that is quite normal on other vehicles.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Agreed - it can take a second or two for the display to return to zero, or move from zero when you start off - or in my case, push the bike to somewhere I can get on after starting the motor! This is because I learnt the hard way that you need to let the engine run a little before riding off, otherwise if you're not concentrating (i.e. - looking at the speedo instead, etc.,) you stall and fall off.

That's not a good idea!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"