Broken Swingarm

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
corsaro chris

Re: Broken Swingarm

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Miguel

Your extract from a service schedule looks interesting. It's not taken from the owner service handbook (see below) and it would be useful to have a copy, if there is any way you could get one to us, or post a link to the location!

This is what the owners service handbook says on the matter (page 75) relating to the current post 2013 model;
TRANSMISSION CHAIN

NOTE - The driver should only check the transmission chain tension and lubrication.
Check the chain tension every km 500;
• With the motorcycle ready to start, on a level ground without driver and with the side stand up.
• Press the chain from above around the middle of the swing arm.
• When the chain tension is correct, a maximum travel of 40-45 mm is allowed. In case the chain travel exceeds the indicated one, have the tension adjusted by a Moto Morini Authorised Service Centre or a motor vehicle workshop.
An incorrect chain tension may lead to an early wear of the pinion, the sprocket and the chain itself.
Lubriicate every Km 500 (or more often in case you use the motorcycle mostly on dusty or wet roads).
Always lubricate with special products, strictly following the instructions of use indicated on the product box.
• Use HIGH SPEED CHAIN
With a maximum travel of 45mm you're looking at an up and down movement of some 22.5mm from the centre point of the chain run - which gets pretty close to the bottom of the swing arm, as shown in the picture!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
miguel

Post by miguel »

Hi Chris,

The figure was taken from the GP workshop manual.

It is 32MB so I can prob put it on Google Drive to share if you have an account?
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Over tight chain is a common problem with adventure bikes KTM and Triumph particularly.
My two penny worth on the subject is check for tight spots and adjust the chain at tightest spot, when adjusted sit on bike and bounce up and down checking the chain still has slack in it when compressed.
I'm 20 stone before I put passenger and luggage on :-)
günni

Post by günni »

RHThomas wrote:Here’s a thing:

I was down at Moto Corsa earlier having my MV serviced and talking to Ed who works there (and is always very helpful) I asked if they’d supplied any Morinis this year, he told me about a GP they supplied which the new owner took straight off on a trip and crashed it, riding quite hard by the sound of it though some S bends with a poor looking road surface. The swinging arm broke at the same place as in the pictures above, Ed showed me pictures of the road and the breakage.

As the bike was new, it went back to the factory for investigation and Moto Corsa received an email in due course stating that chain slack on these bikes be doubled from 25mm to 50mm. Leading one to conclude that a tight chain was thought to contribute to the problem.
hi robin,
i would like to have some more information about the crashed granpasso. is there a way to come in contact with Ed?
currently we have X-rayed 13 intact swingarms of granpasso and scrambler. the result look`s not good.

thanks
günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Hi Günni,

Here is a link to their website contact details so you can email or telephone as desired.

http://motocorsa.truetracksoftware.co.uk/contact.php

As you will see they are also dealers for MV, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia etc and are very experience with Italian bikes.

Any cases of damaged swingarms on the Sport? Which obviously has the same swingarm but I know there are much fewer of them around.

Cheers,
Robin
günni

Post by günni »

RHThomas wrote:Hi Günni,

Here is a link to their website contact details so you can email or telephone as desired.

http://motocorsa.truetracksoftware.co.uk/contact.php
thanks a lot
günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
k0k0s

Post by k0k0s »

Hi all!

I am REALLY interested in buying a "new"-old (2009MY stock bike with 0km) available in my country but when I found out about this issue with the breaking swingarms I was kind of put off. The Granpasso has always been my dream bike and now that I can finally afford one, I am very skeptical about buying one.

From what I can tell the consensus is that they all will break eventually, as it is a manufacturing defect. Given the fact that I do intent to use it for light off-roading and that I do intent to load it up with luggage for long journeys, what would be the advice of the experienced owners in this forum? Have there been any more instances of broken swing-arms? Could it be that the chain tension was actually the culprit for overloading the swingarm laterally where there is not enough strength?

(BTW, this is a great forum, learnt a lot about the GP from spending the last couple of weeks lurking around the forum :) )
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
I have owned mine now for 18 months and love it more everyday, there are no buts either.
A few things that made me think that perhaps the swinging arm issue is a combination of events,
The chain is like on many bikes difficult to set up correctly ,getting the right tension is fiddly, best sit on the bike and test also find the tight spot and take your reading from there, running it a bit slack makes sense to me, and well lubed.

The hydro form casting does not look the most robust,but then looking at a Ducati multi or an s2r etc very similar material thickness etc it is impossible to know and I am sure a combination of loading weight etc and off roading could result in a fracture, then again I know of one bike that went to morocco fully loaded and no problems.
From my own experience and road bias I don't worry at all , I do check it from time to time like I check the air in my tyres,
These are seriously good bikes devoid of all the rider aids younger riders seem to insist upon these days,that makes them quite unique and very focused.
Buy the bike of your dreams, I did .....you might get knocked over by a bus or a meteorite might hit you or ....
Off today to hopefully pick up another granpasso for a friend of mine, deep joy.
Cheers To all steve
k0k0s

Post by k0k0s »

Hi and thanks for your reply , Steve.

I couldn't agree more, you said it all. This is exactly the reason I have been looking at the Granpasso. No electronic aids (although TBH having the security of an ABS would be a bonus) to spoil the fun or to go wrong, no complex lighting systems, no complex space technology valves and motors, just pure V-twin power and torque, a sturdy frame, monstrous forks, Ohlins as standard in the rear and the best looks on a motorcycle EVER!

I have been looking at the other offerings of the big-trailies' genre, but for me nothing looks worthy of spending money on. The 990ADV is a serious contender, but with a fuel consumption of a space shuttle and the range of a lawnmower it's a big no. The GS's are no fun at all (I own an 1150), and seriously expensive for no obvious reason. The Ducati MTS is a gorgeous thing to look at and seriously fun comes with a huge cost. All other 1200's (XTZ, Triumph, Honda) may be very good at what they do but they are just big and ugly. The 800's are lighter and more nimble but they don't have the 120hp factor in...
I would be very interested in the much expected Yamaha Tenere 700 but it seems it will take forever for them to release any info on the bike (if any).

The Morini in question is a 2009 TItanium/black model that comes with factory racks/panniers and tankbag for around £8,500, with 2 years warranty. And it's been haunting me ever since I saw the ad...
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
Mine is a titanium and black, with heated grips 2009.
8500 sounds a lot until you factor in the depreaciation on a Ducati mts or a Honda possibly even a GS as they are so common now, no so easy to sell any more for top dollar.

I asked the factory for an update on a new one 15k euros direct from the factory, for the same bike as the one you are intersected in , it might not come with an ohlins by the look of it.
Is the bike in the uk.
Cheers steve
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

8.5k? Probably not much less than new in 2009?

There's one on ebaygum at, I think, 4,250.

I would love one, too...
k0k0s

Post by k0k0s »

It's not in the UK, and it is a brand new bike with 0km on the clock at the dealership. It is from old stock.

I don't think 8.5k gbp/ 10k euros is too much for this one, especially with the factory panniers on.

I've found several other used ones for sale in Italy, they range from 15,000km with 8,000euros to 40,000km with 4500euros, so I guess a brand new one with the extras at 10,000euros is actually a bargain.

If it wasn't for the swingarm issue I would have already bought it. I wonder how many of these got high mileage (80k+ km) without issues.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
They are more highly regarded outside of the uk with used prices holding up, I would not let the swinging arm issue put you off, as like you I have had x2 1150 adventures and a new 950ktm plus many others and this is the best compromise for the street with a brilliant balance of power and weight comfort and practicality with lots of fun, carnt say anymore .....
Cheers steve
Delhispearman

Post by Delhispearman »

I'd agree with Steve too. Don't delay - buy a GP!

My GP is, literally, awesome and makes my KTM 950 Adv sound like a washing machine. The KTM is still more practical on the washed-out tracks of the high Apennine mountains, though.
I am still adding extras to make the GP more tour-able as in Italy bits and pieces come up for sale every now and again.

Moto Corsa warned me of the chain issue too so I have kept it slack ever since with no obvious problems arising.

I still have issues with the seat height on some gradients when manoeuvring at slow speed, but once underway no problems. And the standard foot rests are not great.

Otherwise a tremendous bike.

I am about to buy the bigger Givi screen, when I can find one down here for the right price... It adds about 10cm onto the top and the order code is D780ST.
Givi Cupolino Screen Granpasso.jpg
Givi Cupolino Screen Granpasso.jpg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 23732 times
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Over the last 8 years we've done 53k miles on a BMW1200GS most of which have been 2 up and overloaded with camping gear all over Europe and Morocco. We've also done many gravel/rocky roads but if I'd listened to the internet I wouldn't have dared to ride it off our driveway :roll: . Evidence of BMW's breaking the single sided swinging arm come around periodically and whilst I wouldn't wish it to happen to me .......... I do think there are more likely scenarios to worry about :wink: .