Granpasso demo @ Three Cross Motorcycles

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
VeloceSteve

Granpasso demo @ Three Cross Motorcycles

Post by VeloceSteve »

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know the Moto Morini Granpasso has arrived at Three Cross and their demo is up and running. I must say it's a awesome bike to ride and let's hope that it will be as successfull as the BMW.

Regards

Velocesteve
Last edited by VeloceSteve on 22 Sep 2008 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
The surprise of the test is that we all came off the Veloce with grins bigger than Jorge Lorenzo's gonads! (fast bikes 08)
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Have to take a look at that, then!

If you go to the Morini web site you get pushed yo soothing music and a tasteful picture of a GP on a rocky outcrop.... :?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Steve,

Pleased to hear that 3X have got the GP demo!!

Have just been in Canada. for two weeks and 'late to the party'.

Chris - Can't say I liked that GP presentation, set to music and MM need to do better than that 'Harley-esque' attempt at slick marketing.

Can't wait to ride the GP and look forward to reading first impressions from those who get there before me.

Regards to all.
Stephen R
VeloceSteve

Post by VeloceSteve »

First impression Steve,

Best handling bike on the market......just incredable! Extreamly well balanced may be a bit tall for some 880mm seat hight, however they are making a 838 model which is 838mm tall and you will also be able to get a lower seat too. Silky smooth engine slipper clutch works a dream.

Hope you had a good time in Canada.

Chat soon :lol:

VeloceSteve
The surprise of the test is that we all came off the Veloce with grins bigger than Jorge Lorenzo's gonads! (fast bikes 08)
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Steve,
Liked your footnote quote from 'Fast Bikes'.

If the GP gives ME a bigger grin than MY testicles: I'll be very impressed! (ahem!).

Don't think the seat height will be a problem for me: but pleased it has been given some thought and a lesson learned no doubt from the BMW GS range, which has an adjustable seat height.

Regards
Stephen R
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I thought I would register and say Hi, and post this which I have added to a couple of other forums..

For months I have been considering what bike I want next, and have often seen photos of the Morini 1200 Granpasso, their contender in the giant traillie stakes..

This morning I became one of the first in the country to test ride a production model thans to 3X Motorcycles.

having recently tried a 1200 gs BMW and have owned a Cagiva Navigator I had ( I thought ) a good idea what to expect..The bike is stunningly good looking in the flesh for a traillie, it is extremely well specced with Ohlins shock, Bremboo Brakes and Slipper clutch.. The bike has excel rims as standard and the factory luggage looks quality and handsome...

Starting the bike was a revelation, on tick over it sounded like someone with a small hammer tapping on an anvil, but rev it up and it sounds really sweet, quiet with the standard can but enough of a growl to let you know its a real bike. THe seat is quite hard, but well sculpted and very comfy for the hour I was out. The fuelling was very good through the nearby 30 and 40 limits, and with a very light throttle action it leaps into life once you leave town..Keeping the front wheel down was quite challenging when pressing on. The brakes were very good, lots of feel and very powerful action needing only 2 fingers to haul it down from 3 figure speeds.

The bike felt solid and yet very nimble on the move, and in fact reminded me more of riding the Tuono than the GS or Navigator. The handling was sharp, tracked well and the bike tipped easily into corners. It only became unsettled when it reached 135 ( on a private test track of course).

The bike has a huge fuel tank and apparrently will do close on 300 miles to a fill. Overall it was an incredible bike. Fully specced with the luggage it comes in at just over £10k, and as an alternative to the GS I think it is a real contender. Of course there are concerns about dealer/factory backup, but TBH I think this applies to most Italian bikes and would not be enough to put me off. I reckon it would be a superb bike if you could only have one.....

Do I want one?? You bet..If my grannie was still alive she would be on Ebay as we speak

V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Gedge

Enjoyed reading your impressions of the GP and in fact I rode the same bike either before or just after you...

I was equally impressed with the bike and found it rapid enough to be fun and very agile -the suspension is a class act too.

The engine feels somehow less edgy and more refined on the GP and I lack the engineering expertise to explain why: rest assured that the character is in tact.

Pleased to report that the fuelling is very good and this was the one area that gave me real concern, as others on the forum will appreciate.

'Corsaro Steve' has already advised on the alternative seat height being made available: As existing this is quite a tall bike and the lower seat will suit many more riders.

The instruments on the GP are all digital and I suspect that these may well appear on other bikes in the range.

Overall the bike is a major accomplishment and MM have every right to be proud of the GP.

3X are currently selling the existing bikes for £8999.
I understand that this is one of the lowest prices in Europe and it's nice to
know that for once, the UK gets the better deal!

Strongly considering buying a GP and if so: the white/red frame would be my choice.
Red ones are also due to become available, along with the metallic grey.

IMHO if the GP does well it will reflect upon the whole range, further improve the MM image and confidence in the company.

We already know that Moto Morini are great bikes and now they may get a wider audience...

Regards
Stephen R
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I agree thewhite and red framed ones look the best ( although I would like to see the Red when it arrives..) the white bike in the showroom with the hard luggage looked spot on ...I just need to sell my existing bike and persuade the wife that this is a must have :shock:
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Gedge

You are a man on a mission!

I wouldn't be able to afford one with full luggage and to be fair probably don't need it: that kitted -up white bike does look mighty fine.

The white bike has something of the 'Bimota' about it.

The grey one may appeal to those many GS riders of a certain age and the finish on the test bike looked really good, even in bright sunshine.

Good luck convincing the wife -I don't have one: but right now I am looking at changing jobs.

Regards
Stephen R
Motofrog

G P 1200

Post by Motofrog »

I had a ride on 3X demo Grandpasso 17 Oct . Called in to have a look, was offered a ride.. WHAT a machine, I have had a lot of V twins, the fuelling is superb, smooth , progressive, totally sorted. Ok its a tall bike, but anything which is going for that look is. It looks well made with lots of Quality fittings from various suppliers. The gearbox is great, the clutch works ok but feels a little strange almost like it has a two stage action ,on release. I was told this was due to the slipper clutch which is fitted.
The beast feels as if it is on rails when you get to the bendy bits. confidence inspiring for anyone. Overtaking is instant just twist and away you go. Stopping is also easy and effective. Saddle hard but well shaped should last the arse ache test for a good few miles between stops. I am smitten,come the spring I may have to sell my two bikes and make them one, Grandpasso!
This could be the bike that will do it all. Now thats a tall order.
GO have a GO on one.. Motofrog
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

It took me a while but I bought one today from Moto Select in Farnham..only 150 miles from new ( Nov 08)..apparrently owner couldn't touch the ground comfortably???

Got a good deal on my KTM 990 Adventure..Looking forward to adding some bits and taki9ng it down to croatia in the summer.. 8)
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Swing on by the Factory while you're that way - the Club are visiting in early October.

Is it a dealer at Farnham, or just a p/e deal? Don't forget to get along to one of the local MRC sections either! :lol:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

corsaro chris wrote:Swing on by the Factory while you're that way - the Club are visiting in early October.

Is it a dealer at Farnham, or just a p/e deal? Don't forget to get along to one of the local MRC sections either! :lol:

CC
Moto Select are a Honda dealer..they took it in PX for a 'blade..I live about 35 miles from 3X so will probably use them for most stuff..

.I think our return takes in Bologna anyway so the plan to visit the Ducati Museum may get junked for the MM factory tour....
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The deed is done and the bike was collected at 3 O'clock today..the sevice from Moto Select was very smooth and organised..first impressions are just as I remembered from the test ride last year..except wither I have got shorter or the bike is a bit higher than I remember :shock:

I still think on tickover it sounds a bit lame ( and a bit rough) but as soon as the road opens up it all changes..Its a shame about the 5k rev limit :twisted:
The handling really does remoind me of my Tuono..very precise, light and positive and the brakes are a revelation after the KTM .

I managed to do about 50 miles down to Portsmouths Monthly bike meet where it created a lot of interest...

Sadly had to put the bike to bed and do other stuff for work tomorrow..so roll on Friday when I can get out again 8)
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Here she is: 8)