Recent trip

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Recent trip

Post by Painter »

I took the Gp out for its first proper big ride as opposed to 250 mile days round north Wales.
I had to go north to Invergordon round trip of 950 miles, sad occasion as it was a funeral, a good friend she will be missed.
The Gp went really well, I put new chain and sprockets and Cush drive rubbers and rear wheel bearings x 4 the night before I left.
Fuel consumption was great 45mpg cruising quite fast ... it’s always a great run up there, went via Biggar. From the m74 at Abingdon, then open the taps until the average speed cameras on the A9 curtail the fun.
Pic of bike up some track in Pitlochry.
Cheers Painter
Attachments
04B3B398-4908-49DF-B415-8C699C4B8FCC.jpeg
04B3B398-4908-49DF-B415-8C699C4B8FCC.jpeg (184.13 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
MickeyMoto

Re: Recent trip

Post by MickeyMoto »

One of the beauties of riding is that you are alone with your thoughts and the ride to concentrate on. Morini 1200s are riders bikes, not toys, and deserve long runs.

Looks like the fuelling is sorted, 45mpg is good and acceptable. However, I would have gone up the east from Perth via Glen Shee and the Lecht and joined the A9 near Inverness! :) Although there are average speed cameras on the A9, they stop at the dual carriageways so you can make time. I also find the average speed cameras stop bunching, giving more overtaking opportunities. Mind you, it is probably rammed with staycationing NC500 mobile homes on wheels.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Aye, a good route, I had limited time a long weekends run, but I think in future I will go east as the A9 has become a terrible road with campers and caravans, not a fan of either. I have opted for standard gearing 17/40 which makes it super long legged, ideal for the bigger roads, not so muck on the small back roads but still fine. I have a trip planned for Tongue / Thurso , we used to ride most years over the past 25 years, but the northern 500 has ruined it, lots of bikes now and difficult to find a BB,Skye will be even busy especially with covid travel restrictions, but it’s a big country, hope the weather holds for Aug.
Where are you ?
Cheers Painter
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'm on the Northumberland coast. Lots of grockles, but 5 miles inland and blissfully empty of Hoorays looking for holiday homes.

The Borders is my go to place now, as people tend to travel through on their way to the crowded north. I am planning a trip for September, but trying to avoid the busy routes. The BandBs are all booked. May have to explore Aberdeenshire.

The Milano has 17/42 final drive. I was thinking of going to 17/40. The Scrambler was 17/40, and that was a good long distance bike. The gear ratios inside the box are the same as the other bikes. I just want to drop the revs by 500 at 70mph.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
We where up there last year, utterly beautiful country, Preston, ingleton , north York’s, Hexham , Robin Hoods Bay , Lindisfarne . I am Wirral based , so North Wales is my go to riding country, might reconsider our trip north this year and explore the north east/ Northumberland again/ border countries. N Wales has always been a race track, but more so now with lock down easing, I do ride faster than I would like as I know the roads, it would be nice to be on unfamiliar roads and explore.
This is my second GP and I am thinking of buying another as a spare, as I love them. What do you think of your Milano, I recently
bought an r9t with keneo wheels, nitron front fork cartridges and race pro rear shock, full Akrapovic exhaust and other mods , it looks like a brute go’s really well, it was to good to miss, I had thought a corsaro would be a good fit, but have not ridden one.
I prefer the more neutral riding position of the Milano, and it’s more elegant than the corsaro which is very focused.
Cheers Steve