Granpasso

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
DaveG

Granpasso

Post by DaveG »

Hello I'm DaveG and I'm about to become the owner of a white/red Granpasso. At least according to Stuart at NLM I am. This will be the first bike since 1986 that I've bought without a test ride. (Honda VFR 750. Also white!). Am I mad? Probably. We'll see.

Been riding BMW GS's for years, 100, 1100 now 1150 with 82K on clock. Comfortable, good handling, little too heavy and all the usualy BMW faults. ABS never lasts more than 56k before packing up and I object to £1200 for replacement pump/control unit so take outrelay and flashing bulbs from dash and carry on. Plus £600 for a pair of injectors. then I discovered Motorworks do a little screw in brass adjustable spindle bearing for £37.50!!! Bugger. (Am I aloud to say that Mr Moderator?) Said worse when I found out!! Shouldn't complain with mileage really. 100k in sites.
Tried to like the 1200GS but feels and revs like a four. So keeping my 1150 and taking the plunge into the depths of Morini.

In addition I've recently owned a Blackbird (yawn) . Couldn't fault it but didn't excite. Then bought 1050 Tiger. Wonderful engine never less than 50mpg even when thrashed (Take note Mr. Morini!). Oodles of lovely linear torque. Excellent finish but let down by poor suspension.

Never owned a V twin in 40+ odd years of biking and never fancied a Ducati. Tried a Stelvio but too much vibration. The Granpasso appealed at sight of first pictures but what a wait before they finally released it.

So should be collecting in 10 to 14 days.

I will report.

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you are our first Granpasso owner.

Brave man to buy without a test ride :shock:

You have been riding a v-twin, only it's a 180 degree one. The Morini will be smoother and have plenty of torque but will not twist sideways when you change gear. :lol:

Be sure to let us know all it's good and bad points
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Dave;

Welcome to the world according to Morini :!:

As Steve says, it's a brave man who buys without riding first - but the GP seems to be a good take on the adventure sports, and probably better than the Triumph to boot. NLM are a good dealer, and are hot on service and after sales. The red / white colour scheme is a traditional one for Morini as the original off-road V came out with a similar scheme (although that was called the Camel).

The modern V engine is very smooth and comfortable; a German test found performance close to 50 mpg although most of us get somewhere between 35 - 40. It will be interesting to hear what you think in due course - once you've run it in and the weather warms up :)

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
DaveG

Climatic conditions

Post by DaveG »

Dear CC,(And Steve MRC)

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the Camel and I even rode a 3 1/2 Sport when they came out.
My first bike was a James Captain which taught me all about caustic soda (for decokeing) and the effects on a two stroke of putting a piston in back to front. I was only 16! Oh and falling off.

However am somewhat intrigued by CCs mention of running in when the weather warms up. In tropical Lancashire where the early morning sun gently kisses the delightfully scented peach blossom on the west facing slopes of the Penine foothills, one rides (not the Royal 'One' as I think I'm the only one) in all weathers apart from fog and black ice. Even tried snow once. You may of heard of snow. Its very name strikes terror into 99.9999% of car drivers. Mind you I think if they painted the roads white it would have the same effect.

Did 600 miles earlier this week down to Buckingham and Midlands. Buy a Gerbring Heated Liner for your jacket and some heated grips and have fun. The Gerbring is a super piece of kit. I bought it with the rheostat and very rarely have it fully on. Toastie warm .

Just bought Halvarssons suit from Skins in Brackley as Gericke jacket and trousers were falling apart. Graffiti Jacket and GI trousers. Trousers not in stock but should arrive in next 10 days or so. Been looking at Halvarssons gear for past three years at NEC and finally took the plunge after talking to a chap and his wife at NEC who both wear them. He does 100 mile a day commute and has no problems over past two years. Which seems a pretty good endorsement. We'll see.

So Mr CC am I to believe that Morinis dissolve in rain or is it you?!!

Incidently it was sleeting when I picked up my VFR and I promptly went off and did 100 miles. that sort of bike. Hope GP is too.

Hope I'm not going to be your only Granpasso owner.

TTFN

DG
DHG
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dave;

To-day it's was minus 4 celcius here in sunny Berks, and so I've not taken the bike out... The roads that I like are twisty and in the shade (the sun did come out) but as advancing years take their toll I tend to wait until its 2 or 3 above! 8)

I am also lazy and don't wash the bike down - even when it gets covered in salt, and the modern Morini is a bit sensitive when it comes to that! Like you, I used to ride in all weathers (daily commute into London, an 80 mile round trip) except ice - I stopped that when I went sideways on a K100 and ground through the rocker cover... I did take the Corsaro to NLM last February at about freezing and, as you say, modern clothes keep the warmth in nicely!

But I am happy that others braver than me are out in this weather - so good luck when you pick the bike up! Did you order the heated grips, by the way?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Congratulations Dave!

Due to the poor Euro/£ exchange rate the 'Gran Passo' has had a price increase to £9999.

However IMHO it remains good value compared to certain other competitors.

I know a chap in Hampshire who has bought a white/red GP and he took delivery from 3X just before Christmas.

Oddly enough he also owns a Motot Guzzi Stelvio...

He is not on the forum and I doubt there will ever be a time when GP's are as numerous as GS's or Tigers!

I have been riding over the Christmas period and was out on New Years Day - flipping cold weather, but I was togged-up.

Happy New Year to all !!!

Regards
Stephen R
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I was off work for two weeks over Christmas and the weather was lovely. Went back on Monday and it snowed on me :(

The bike (not the Morini) gets used everyday but it's only 5 miles each way and heated grips make it a lot easier. Minus 3 when I got home tonight though.
Last edited by SteveMRC on 06 Jan 2009 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Steve;

Would we ever want Morni to be as numerous as Triumph or Beemers... :?:

Just as long as they are as good for what we want!

I was tempted to take a Morini out over the weekend, but my Triumph riding son decided against a run. Just as well, as it was very cold - although it warmed up as I went north for work for Monday (even above freezing in Conwy, although snow on the mountains of Snowdonia - very pretty).

Role on non-slippery roads :)

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi All,
Me again. Glad to hear I'm not the only idiot out and about in this weather.

Anyway CC, what did you think rocker covers were for? Sounds expensive though. And being a beemer it's bound to be expensive.

Luckily V Fun I managed to prise open Stuart's hand and force a deposit in before the price rise. So I'm getting my GP at 08 prices. Yes it does have heated grips, I'm not that hard but certainly that stupid! Also asked for Scotoiler as I was very impressed with the job it did on the 1050 Tiger. 17k and only adjusted chain once after initial running in. Getting hand guards, immobiliser and rack too, though hope the latter doesn't spoil lines too much. I'm not a great fan of plastic panniers. I bought full set for Tiger and although they looked the part they were pretty useless because they were basically wedge shaped. Eventually used a pair of throwovers which were oblong and held twice the amount as the OE. Will use them again on GP if required. I sold the plastic panniers on my GS and fitted secong hand alu Adventurer ones. Wonderful top loading and capacious. Probably too capacious as I tend to fill them with everything I don't need when I'm touring. You empty garage/loft and promptly fill it up with more rubbish......
Finally having a power point for Optimate, etc and wiring for Gerbring jacket liner installed prior to collection.

So all being well should be collecting bike in about 10 days time.

Watch this space.

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Dave
It sounds like you have everything covered!

My winter riding is being done on a KTM 950 Super Enduro and have ideas of doing some European weekend trips, in the spring.

It does now have a small screen - But on a cold day I'd love to have the adjustable one like that fitted to the GP.

Good luck with your new bike and we will be waiting to read about those first riding experiences!

Just off to wash the salt off my bike........Again!!

Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

Gran Passo

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Dave,
Having just taken delivery of a new company car without the benefit of a test drive I can understand your concerns. Whilst no money has changed hands the thought of being stuck with the wrong vehicle for four years was a little worrying. However when you know what you want, you some times have to trust your gut feelings. I've read a few tests on the new Gran passo and it certainly has power, poise, present and no shortage of style. It is of course a little different but isn't what owning a Morini is all about. I hope you will be pleased with your purchase and look forward to seeing you out and about in 2009. :D

Regards

Paul

ps There is a road test in the next issue of Motorcycle Sports & Leisure (February issue) which should be in the shops any time now. The conclusions are positive if you are looking for a long distance tourer with light off road capabilities. May be you can gives us your opinion in the riders club magazine. i assume you will become a member. Its certainly worth the small subscription.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks Paul,

Joined owners club today. Better collect bike now!

Really I don't know why Morini bothered to give the GP any off road pretentions. Nobody is going to want to take it off road. There are far better more accomplished bikes to fit that bill. Despite the promotional video. You could ride a Fireblade on that track.

Basically with all these types of bikes it's the riding position that appeals. Folk want decent acceleration and handling with reasonable, but not excessive, weather protection and without having to do ride as if they were going to do a handstand.

Regards

Dave
DHG
DaveG

First impressions

Post by DaveG »

Well guys (Why no gals?) its arrived and collected. Minus luggage rack, heated grips and hand guards but it did have the Scotoiler and with a gentle nudge, the harness for the Gerbring fitted. (Unfortunately that didn't work because it had the wrong fuse in and promptly blew. But I've sorted that now.)

So wobbled off from NLM in the dark on Friday night and went to stop with my mate near Redditch. Good dip beam but main beam only ok. You have to see where you are going before you can ascertain what the goings like. Grunty engine , no excessive vibes (Unlke Stelvio), seat a bit firmish but I can live with that. Initially it seemed like the forks were very steep but soon settled down and when we reached M42 - hey hey running in at max 5k and 90mph I can live with this.

Tend to dislike the speedo, tachometer and all singing and dancing Riders Information Visualisation Screen brought to you this year in a delicate shade of ultramarine blue. Too small and too distractive. I think I'm a Ludite. No. I am a Ludite.

Up this am and after quick check over set off for brief trip around Welsh Marches. Ludlow for coffee and cake then deeper and down ever narrower lanes with grass in middle and mud all over road. Front and back wheels sliding around. Please don't let me drop it first time out! before coming to senses and bounding down lovely twisty B roads.

Handling is excellent. Steering good but responds better to be driven round bends on throttle. Slight tendancy to oversteer caused by my nervousness about what looked like a wet road turning out to be slimy and not commiting. Follow the vanishing point David.
Suspension doesn't like wash board surfaces. Feels slightly harsh both front and rear (chattery) but copes better if slightly on the throttle.
Wonderful on fast smooth A and B roads.
Loads of lovely torque. To overtake just open throttle. It just wants to go. What lies beyond 5k .................!!

Screen does a good job. I don't want cossetting but like the majority of the blast off my face. No buffeting at 90+mph (on German Autobahn officer) , no problems.

Home with 300miles on clock and covered in mud and slutch. Me as well as feet not protected by sticking out gravel scrapers (NB CC!). No worse to clean than BM but at times like this I wish it was a plastic pan. No I don't but I do hate cleaning bikes. But I do do it.

Gales forcast tomorrow. Anybody else coming out?

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
Emmohaswheelsagain

Gran Passo

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Dave,

Well you are obviously off to a good start wasting no time getting out there and putting some miles on your new bike. Your comments almost mirror my own experiences with the 9.5 and like me I guess you will tweak the Morini here and there to get the bike the way you want it.
Fortunately for me the 9.5 has a conventional tacho which allows me to live with the digitial display. Before deciding on my Morini I rode the new 696 Ducati and the display was very similar to yours, far too busy and rather distracting to the rider.
Anyway it sounds that the bike has ticked most of the boxes so we all look forward to reading more reports in the coming months. If you can do a piece for the club mag that would be good.
Continue to enjoy the bike. :D

Paul
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks Paul,
I'll try to do something for the mag in a couple of months when the bikes got more miles on.

Needs longer mirror stems! And they're a funny shape. Why can't manufacturers get basics right? Or have they bought a job lot of seconds? Thinking of putting GS mirrors on.

Dave
DHG