Granpasso

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dave;

Great start to the GP - get something to the editor of ATG now please, he'll love what you've written, him being an off-road fan and all :lol:

You could look at the boring mirrors off the Corsaro - round and do a good job, or is it the stems that need to be longer? Disappointing, this, as on the 9.5, Sport and Corsaros they work perfectly...

You'll find that the suspension will bed in after about 1,000km - its not just the engine that you run in on a Morini :!:

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Dave,
Enjoyed reading your first impressions of the GP - Sounds like a bike you can really build a relationship with.

Tyres are always the biggest compromise with this type of bike and the GP has far too much road potential to be crippled by off road-biased tyres.

Wondered if there is a dimming facility for the backlighting on the clocks?

I thought the blue background a bit harsh - But contemporary.

Reckon we'll see these clocks on an some updated MM's in the near future.
They are almost identical to those found on the Ducati 'Hypermotard' (albeit with different coloured backlighting).

CC's right about the suspension - I've ridden both a 0 miles GP and an ex-press bike and the latter had certainly 'loosened-up' for the better.

Safe riding and look forward to reading more of your 'Gran days out'

Regards
Stephen R
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi All,

Front mudguard wants reversing. Just what is it supposed to be guarding from mud? I haven't found it yet because everything is covered in mud. Me included.

Re Tyres V Fun. I've ridden with Metzler Tourance for years on GS's and though they are a compromise I've never had any major moments with them. Bugger. Never is a word you should never use. On the odd occasion I've lost grip at the back when tanking on but any slide has always been very slow and progressive and they've given me plenty of warning. Diesel, cow poo and slippery roads (remember that soapy salt mixture they put on the roads last winter) excepted. On the whole though if you ride hard in conditions where you shouldn't be you are going to run into trouble. But on a well surfaced dry road I reckon Tourance should be more than adequate. Probably cause I ride like an old fart. Never had my knee down yet. I'm more fast(ish) and steady than boy racer(ish). Most bikes and tyres are faster than me anyway.

Re the instrument panel. I'm sorry but I just can't see the point of cramming all that information on something so small. The colour doesn't bother me just the size.

I'm not touching the suspension until there's at least a couple of thousand on the clock. Glad to here it softens up CC. I made the mistake of playing with my 1050 Tiger's forks. Took me ages to get a half decent set up and that was a compromise. So I'll be patient and make the most of what I've got before fiddling. Shouldn't be too bad as there's only the rear Ohlins to play with.

Thanks for the info re Corsaro mirrors. The main problem is the stem length which is easily sorted. I'm not quite sure about the shape. After looking through round mirrors for the past millenia I'm not too happy with the diamond shape. Looks pretty and in keeping with rest of the styling but they are like the mudguard. Form over function.

Well doctor, thank you very much for listening to all my complaints. She's not a bad old stick really. Oh! Was it one ride three times a day or three rides once a day?

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dave;

Now this is the sort of Forum debate which we can all enjoy...

NLM, along with 3X and a few others (they know who they are) are the sort of dealer who will help you get the most out of the Morini. They are very happy to sell you something, but also very good at soring out any problem that you might have. By the first service things should have settled down (suspension, gear shift / box, ECU) and then it'l be looked at as part of a package... With the rate you're using the machine I guess that you've already booked it in? :wink:

While you are there you can write that first impressions article for ATG - it'd be good to have others writing imprerssions as well as Paul and myself!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Tell me CC

Do I need an Equity Card or be a member of the Writers Guild?

I'm up half the bloody night writing this for you lot so God knows when I'll get time for an article.

And what's all this 'Write it whilst your bike being serviced?' It's a service not a rebuild..........................or do you guys know more than you're letting on? :?

No riding for next few days. Not on GP anyway too much snow, ice and salt. Now where's the GS?

Oh before I go. Anyone any experience of Scottoiler FS365 Corrosion Protector? Reads too good to be true.

Toodaloo

DaveG
DHG
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Dear All

Never ever disbelieve anything that Motor Cycle News or any other vessel of our greatly underated and misrepresented bastion of truth and goodness which is so beratedly and undeservingly heaped into that entity commonly referred to as 'THE PRESS'.

Every word printed is the honest and unassailable truth.

Especially that bit about running out of petrol at the exact moment when the low fuel warning light comes on.

I should have known. They all warned me at the pub. Why oh why oh why.............................................................

DaveG :cry:
DHG
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Dave,
Once again enjoyed your reading your feedback on the 'GP'.

As to the 'Scottoiler' FS365 : I'm using some at the moment, for the first time on my KTM Super Enduro.

Bought it for it's reputed 'salt neutralising' qualities and it seems to work.

So far I'd say it is a worthy product and is great for applying after washing your bike and in particular I've been spraying the engine area.

It isn't a wonder product and fairly pricey - But try reclaiming corroded casings,fasteners and fittings and it makes sense.

Regards
Stephen R
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I have coated my XT in ACF50 and also give it a quick spray over with the FS365 after each wet run ( that's everyday this year then :( ).

Some people rave about the FS365, others are not convinced, but most of what I read about the ACF50 was positive.
It's expensive at around £13 for a spray can, but I have only used about 1/4 of the can to completely cover the frame, engine, s/arm, wheels and forks. It looks like a pink chain lube when sprayed on and can be wiped over all exposed surfaces to spread it out. You are supposed to resist the temptation to clean the bike until the spring :D.

I have only used it for a month but all looks OK so far.

Found some more details here. http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/Bike_Prot ... ACF50.html
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi All

Thanks for feedback on ACF 50 and FS365. I bought ACF 50, applied same and took bike out into Yorkshire Dales. This was the occasion I ran out of fuel. When I got back there was no way that I could leave the bike uncleaned. The whole bike and me(!) were covered in mud and dirt.
The GP badly needs a fender extender and rear hugger. Former shouldn't be a problem as there are lots of aftermarket ones available but rear hugger? Any one fitted one to other models? It appears that various Morinis have different swinging arms so could be a problem there. Suggestions please. Incidently the back of my suit and helmet were sprayed well with mud.

Anyway, back from ride and washed bike. Cleaned up well and fairly easily apart from hot areas. The worst place was around front header pipe where it leaves the cylinder. Took a lot of scubbing with toothbrush to clean that bit up. Also silencer where mud and Scottoil had burnt on. Cleaned up ok but took a bit more elbow grease.

The swingingarm where it joins the frame and the back of engine are very difficult to clean due to poor accessibility. Job for women and small fingered children with double jointed knuckles. My shovels for hands got cut to bits.

I've resprayed the bike again with AFC50 but not sure whether this is the answer. may follow your suggestion Steve and recoat with FS365 after riding. Do they interact?
Looks like there's no substitute for soap, water and elbow grease. When I wash bikes I always use a very strong solution of Turtle Wax and that seems to have done a good job upto now.

Oh and guess what? After washing bike I started engine and the killl switch didn't work! Does now its dried out so I've given it a spray with the AFC50.
DHG
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Dave,
I have no idea if these products react in any way and will wait for somebody else to tell emoticon :?

You are so right about there being no real substitute for elbow grease - I confess to cleaning bikes at every opportunity.

The KTM looks like it's never been dirty and I get some stick for that.:oops:

Some folk are obsessive about mechanical issues and say 'sod' the cosmetics -fine if you never sell your bike.

To me the ACF50 and FS365-type products just buy me time between cleans.

'GT85' silicone spray is a top recommendation: A red can, found in the cycle dept. of Halfords and in other cycle shops. A lighter, high-class WD40 without the resulting discolouration.:idea:

Now where did I leave that old toothbrush....

Regards
Stephen R
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks V-Fun,

My GS1150 has stood up pretty well to 7 years of abuse apart from a few stone chips starting to penetrate the engine coating.

Somehow don't think the GP is from quite the same mould.

Off to NLM on Wednesday for 600 mile check up and fingers crossed around lucky shamrock intertwinned with three leafed clover and wrapped around rabbits foot there may be just a slim but highly unlikely possibility that heated grips, centre stand and hand guards could be in. Silly me. Ah well can always daydream.

NLM sell dreams. How much do they charge for reality?

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

In biking terms reality is a journey that sometimes includes being stranded at the side of the road, inexplicable electrical malfunctions, frozen fingers, gravel rash and money.

The up-side is the enormous grins,the pride and enjoyment, sunny days and a powerful Italian V-twin between your legs.

For this Amigo: NO CHARGE!!

Hope those the heated grips and other accessories are waiting....

Regards
Stephen R
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Spraying F365 over the top of ACF50 does not seem to causes any reaction.

The ACF is oil based and stays on when wet, then there is a liberal coating of road gunk stuck to the ACF, then I spray on the water based F365 to 'neutralise' the salt. Not sure how that works but there you go.

No sign of any extra alloy furry bits after a month, but then it has been pretty wet for most of that time.

Also bought a 7 litre pump up garden spray that I use at the weekends to get the worst of the dirt off with. Not as brutal as an electric power spray and leaves the ACF coating behind.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Dear Stephen R,

It's not the heated grips and accessories that are waiting - it's me!!

Still ...........................after all these years.

Was that written by a Morini owner?

Dear SteveMRC

Glad to hear you enjoy your dirty weekends but please don't boast about the size of your pump dear as it offends the more sensitively natured.

Goodbye for now dears

Aunty Doris
DHG
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi All

Tyre talk.

Having gone on and on at length about how good Metzler Tourances are I had a couple of interesting moments on the way down to NLM for first service.
The first was on a dampish M6 heading south. I must have crossed a cats eye as the bike went into a sudden wiggle. Settled down quickly but never experienced anything so drammatic before. The second episode was on damp but grippy country roads. I was on a right hand open bend and went over a newish repair patch which was quite shiney compared to the normal surface. Both tyres let go for a split second till I was back on the grippy stuff again.
Now I don't think that this is a function of tyre size. I've never had this happen on the same tyres on my GS. True they may have white lined a bit but not sufficiently to upset the bike to that extent. Either these Metzlers do not suit the bike or the suspension is too hard and won't let the tyres work properly as they could be overloading the tyre. My suspicions are the latter. Unless the compound has change which is unlikely.
Can't touch the forks but it will be interesting to soften the rear up a bit and reassess.
Any thoughts gentlemen?

Service was pretty uneventful. Apart from no bits yet and 3 X not replying to a phone call requesting information update to get the fuel level information to work. Still tells me bike is full of fuel even when empty. At least I can work the trip now and keep an eye on mileage. Max 200 miles per tank. May just squeeze another 10 but better safe than sorry.

Safe Riding

DaveG
DHG