Granpasso

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dave;

Interesting comments reference the tyres. MM are bringing out a lower seat version with a fatter tyre, which opens up the choice.

Your mention of no upsets on the GS reminds me of an experience my Brother in Law had in 07; GS mounted he ran onto a road repair overband up in the NW of Scotland. The bike slid sideways into a ditch which flipped it, and the rider, over. He was helicoptered to Inverness (I think, my geographical knowledge of hospitals in that area is thankfully poor) but was mainly suffering from shock. He sued the company that did the overbanding...

Keep the stories coming :)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
franky

Post by franky »

Just to add, I had a new gs1200 that was a complete pile of cr@p. gearbox went twice, also the final drive leaked.... on the rear tyre. bad engine design and massivley overpriced servicing.

Just thought i'd add my experience of owning a BMW, a friend had similar problems, both of our bikes were brought back off us :shock:

enjoy the gran passo :D
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks Franky,

I am enjoying GP but it's early days yet. I too had a lot of problems with my GS1100 but stuck with it as I had taken out another 3 years warranty thank goodness. They wanted £1200 when the ABS went awol.

1150 hasn't been at all bad. ABS went again but it's cheaper to take out relay from fuse box and bulbs from dash!!

1200 GS far too electronically inclined for my liking. Plus acknowledged faults and reduced build quality, etc., etc.,. Oh and it revs like a four!

Doesn't matter what it is really as long as its got two wheels and and engine.

TTFN.

DaveG
DHG
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Mirrors today chaps,

Those stylish OE jobbies look very swish and give fantastic views of both elbows. At least half the available mirror is taken up by elbows. And they're a funny shape.
I mentioned the problem to Stuart at NLM and he came up with a pair that probably came off a 1943 Bedford Truck. Vast round pieces of mirror projecting from a pair of tank aerials. Virtually see the curve of the horizon. They work well but look somewhat out of place. Gave the bike a sort of Disney hornet look. So popped into local bike shop today and they came up with a pair of extensions for the original mirrors which raise them by about 2". No joy I'm afraid as the elbows returned, although from a slightly different angle.

Help please.

Incidentally the second application of ACF 50 seems to be working well. Bike cleaned up fairly easily this time.

Had run out for couple of hours this afternoon to The Bridge (nobody there!) and back via Littledale where I found a new gated road. Not ventured down it yet as surface didn't look too good and it was very steep with grass growing in the middle, and didn't fancy getting halfway down and having to turn round. Ride height still a problem. May have to soften rear before too long. Just as well I turned round as I looked the road up on OS map when I got back and there's a ford to go through at bottom of hill! Try it on GS first I think.

Engine is starting to free up a bit now. Just over 1k on clock and having to recalibrate brain!

Keep on keeping on.

DaveG
DHG
Olly

Post by Olly »

It's great to read about your experiences with this bike.
I'm in Germany until April but then I'll visit Three Cross and take a GranPasso for a ride.

I've never owned a new bike before and I guess with panniers, heated grips and other bits I'm going to be looking at well into £11,000 which is a lot for me compared with 4 or 5K for a fully equipped nearly new VStrom DL1000

I've ridden a GS1200 quite a lot but I just can't get over how the engine looks and my friends have had too many reliability issues. Now don't get me wrong I'm not expecting a GranPasso to be without glitches but somehow I'm prepared for that given it's got another 15 or 20% more power and is something pretty and exotic.

I have a few questions if that's ok:

So what are you doing about panniers? In the initial pics they offered colour coded Givi V35 cases but now I only see the metal ones and the overall width would concern me.

Is the horn any good and can you see a place to mount a better one?

I understand the heated grips have pre-integrated controls, is that right?

Ok. Thanks for now...I guess there's a good 80% chance I'll be joining you as an owner. It all depends if heart rules head as to whether there's a VStrom in my garage in April or a Moto Morini.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Olly,

In Februarys Motorcycle Sport & Leisure there's a road test of the Granpasso which is a well balanced report.

As far as panniers are concerned, I'm going to use soft throwovers. I was given a pair of Oxford throwovers several years ago and they are still providing good service. They are oblong with no curved edges like hard panniers have and pretty waterproof, though I always pack eveything inside a strong black builders rubbish sack just to be sure.
There's a harness which fits over the passenger seat and the panniers which are QD clip to the harness. You can adjust them so they don't rest against hot exhausts or side panels and I am very pleased withem and would recommend them as a cheaper alternative.
I used them on my 1050 Triumph Tiger which has a similar exhaust set up to the GP without any problems.

Accordingto MCSpt & L, the metal ones cost £926.26 and £411.24 for the topbox. Ouch! Plus I don't know when they went to press but with the strong euro they are probably even dearer now.

Not sure how wide they are but my 1150GS panniers don't cause me concern.
Buy yours' in Germany.

The horn is about as good as any other motorcycle horn. No not true. It's about as bad as every other motorcycle horn. Not sure about relocating another. I'll have to check and email you later. Watch this space.

As for heated grips, yes the bike is already pre wired. But like any other Italian bike it's full of promise. They promised me a centre stand, heated grips, hand guards.....................etc. All ordered with the bike. At least the bike's arrived and not the other way round.

The VStrom is a great bike at a great price. They've stopped producing the 650 version and there's a 'Gladius' now to replace it (new uprated v twin to pass all new emission laws)which MCN gave a good report on last week. Don't know whether the 1000 is still going to be produced or whether that too is due for replacing. If it is replaced there will be lots of good bargains for the old DL.
My mate has a 650DL . Good bike but the finish is appalling. All bolts are rusted and the exhaust is just black painted mild steel. Or brown flakey steel.

Will let you know about the horn.

Take care

DaveG
DHG
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Update

Good Evening,

Slightly chilly today but ones spirits were raised by a phone call to young Stuart at NLM who not only brought glad tidings about appearance of heated grips and luggage rack but also warmed ones cockles by intimating the expected appearance over the horizon of not only hand guards but colour coded ones at that!
Imagine ones further delight when one was informed that the expected download for improving the non-functional fuel information display was being remedied by a brand spanking new replacement of the whole instrument panel. Didn't say when though but watch this space.

Local club (SLAM - South Lancashire Advanced Motorcyclists) have cancelled planned ride out tomorrow because it might be too cold!! Cold today but very enjoyable provided you took care. Cold weather often leads to dry roads, albeit with a thin skimming of salt and although you have to be careful to avoid damp patches and let the tyres warm up fully before pressing on a bit, and ensure you are well wrapped up, a ride out can be very enjoyable. Virtually cloudless brilliant blue skies today with snow on hill tops. Delightful. Though have to watch out for low sun on return home which can severly restict forward vision. Throttles work both ways!

Quick hose and wash down after before chamois leathering down, letting bike dry fully, then quick respray of ACF50 on exposed areas. Just too be sure. Appears to be working well at moment.

Perhaps should point out that here on the Fylde, (Part of Lancashire west of M6 towards Blackpool) there is virtually no snow. Though Penine tops have had a good coating. So plenty of good dry roads to play on.
Went to Wirral on GS on Wednesday and pretty clear round there too.

Oh and Olly if you are reading this, apologies for not checking on horn spacing. Will write again tomorrow.

TTFN

Dave G
DHG
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Olly,

If you are still reading this topic. Checked GP re horn. and there is very little room to attach anything under the screen and around the bottom yoke.
Nothing is impossible but I think it would be cheaper if you took screaming lessons!

DaveG
DHG
Olly

Post by Olly »

It's no biggy but I do like a nice loud horn and if there's somewhere to mount it nicely then that's handy.
I've "lusted" after the Granpasso since I first saw pics and heard it had good power... I don't know what it is though but now, as d-day comes nearer I keep thinking more and more about the cost and how I'll be so nervous about every scratch when instead a want a decent workhorse to tackle Europe on over summer. (DL1000 Vstrom)

It's almost as if I see the GP as a comfy sport bike alternative, which is totally fine, but not what I need this year.

Buuuut..like I said before...I'll go for a test ride and my heart might rule my head. It nearly did when I first saw a matt black KTM 990 but I rode it and the engine (fuelling and vibration) was utter s**t and the bubble was quickly burst.
DaveG

Update

Post by DaveG »

Hi everyone.
Well I've now got 2500 miles on clock and the bike is starting to loosen up, especiallly the suspension. The front is still slightly too firm but I'm beginning to have more confidence in the tyres now as I can feel whats going on better. Not touched rear shock yet.

The engine is just lovely.

Only problem is the weather!! Yes I know I've banged on in the past about wimps who won't ride unless it's 25 plus in the shade, but the protection from the useless mudguards is so bad that every ride entails a couple of hours work afterwards with stiff brush, toothbrush, power washer and endless patience. On top of that there are quite a few sharp edges around this bike and my fingers/knuckles usually end up dripping blood everywhere. So not ridden GP a lot recently and have been chugging around on the 1150GS which laughs at snow and salt.

Having said all that the AFP 50 appears to be working well though I respray almost every time I clean the bike. Just to be sure.

Now have heated grips fitted which are reasonably good, although with my Gerbring heated jacket liner and the new Halvarsons suit performing well I can manage without them. Also got new rear rack which I think spoils the lines of the bike so will probably remove it and refit when absolutely necessary. Only a 4 bolt job. The other problem with the rack is that it apparently obscures the rear indicators which is not good as they are not too bright to begin with and the rear tyre throws a lot of muck over them and the back of my jacket. I've taken one apart and resealed it with silicone as it filled up with water when washed or in heavy rain. T'other one to do yet.

Roll on Spring!!

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
Alan JW

Post by Alan JW »

Hi DaveG, Any up dates on your time with your Granpasso. Did you get your fuel gauge fault sorted as mine has the same fault, I have made up a front fender extender from an old GS front mudguard so my feet and engine are now staying clean, I also have found that now i have fitted my top box rack my back stays clean.
Cheers. Alan
DaveG

Update

Post by DaveG »

Hi friends,

Sorry for lack of communication for month or two but life has been throwing some of its slings and arrows of outrageous fortune at me recently and some of them struck. And my oh my they do hurt.
However all is settling down again in the Gutteridge life and so we have another update.

About 4750 on clock now and no Alan JW I haven't had fuel guage repaired yet though I am booked in for new instrument panel on 17/04 so whoopee for that at last. Naturally the Mode button packed up months ago ( yes I do know about pushing the button and it still doesn't work ) so I couldn't even zero the trip to keep a record of mileage. Still not run out again! Yet.

Need to do mid-service oil change NOW! What oil does everone use in Morinis?

What MPG are you guys getting? My computer went all silly initailly but now it's steady at around 50MPG. I have my doubts though. Will need to conduxct a proper check soon. Will let you know.

The suspension is softening but slowly. I think the front forks suffer quite a bit from stiction and I am seriously thinking of paying a visit to Maxton after the first service at 7K. I would like the front to be more supple. The Ohlins MUST be able to be adjusted to perfection. At least by someone who knows what they're doing and I'll need some help with that. Perhaps if front spring rates and oil viscosity were changed it may be enough to get me where I want to go in the manner I wish to get there. The problem is on smooth surfaces the forks are fine and I can chuck the bike around like a mad bugger. But less than perfect tarmac requires bottle and finesse. Push it round on the throttle, which it loves, and DON'T hang on.

I've found the tighter I grip the bars the more wayward it becomes. On full throttle launches it'll weave like a gud 'un if you hang on. But if you sit in the bike and just rest your hands on the bars and put the minimal imput through them, it's fine.

Engine continues to loosen up and just gets better and better. Could do with the throttle bodies adjusting slightly but not too far off first service now. May have a quiet word next Friday.

Yes the indicators are crap and too small. Dangerously so in bright sunlight in my opinion. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. Perhaps fit an auxillary set? With the rear rack fitted it obscures the rear ones altogether. Not good. I am using hand signals again to reinforce the message in certain situations!! Better to be safe.

I'm using my MOTOFIZZ throwovers to good effect at present. Much better than hard panniers. Off to French MOTOGP next month (assuming it's not rained off!) with few friends so we'll see how the GP takes to a bit of touring and camping. Though touring is not quite the right word if you know what I mean. Neither's campi...... Forget it.

Now Alan JW I'd be very interested to see your front mudguard modification. Which model GS did it come off? If you could send a piccy to my email address that would be very nice. (dhgutteridge@btinternet.com).
I still hate cleaning the bike but at least there's no salt to have to do battle with at present.
Incidentally mine went through a phase where as soon as I turned the ignition on the bike started! Keen I thought. Probably growing pains. Starter button sticking. Sorted quickly but interesting at time.

Anyway that's enough for today chaps.

Safe riding.

DaveG
DHG