Instrument panel

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
DaveG

Fuel Consumption

Post by DaveG »

Hi All,

So there we were on the way back from French motogp, me on GP my mate Andy on his BMW1200ST. We stop at Maidstone services and fill up. Next stop Hilton Park for use of services and we decide to fill up again.
Andy's bike takes 16.3litres and GP takes 20.97litres! Hmmmm.
Good job it has a big tank then.

Incidentally rectifier went awol in France and blew lots and lots of bulbs. Now sorted under warrenty with new rectifier which isn't the fault. The fault lies in the plastic connecter from rectifier loom into the bikes harness. It gets hot, which upsets rectifier which stops rectifying leaving lots of volts to run merrily around the wiring loom looking for unsuspecting bulbs. You wouldn't believe Morinis answer!
You know those little plastic connecters that come in a strip with two little brass screws on top............ Technology hey??!!

I've also got lots of strange rattling noises coming from the forks. No apparent free play anywhere. Tyre change next week and new fork oil going in which Stuart at NLM reliably tells me , with fingers crossed, that it'll cure it.

Watch this space!

TTFN

DaveG
DHG
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dave;

One of the first upgrades on the Corsaro was for the dealer to replace the neat connectors under the rear seat (from said rectifier) with some chunky white plastic screw connectors, apparently made from Lego blocks...

The dealer, NLM, was agast, but using anything else wasn't man enough for the job, and wouldn't be approved by Morini! Not ideal, but I've only had the one blown indicator bulb (it's the rear nearside bulb that blows first, apparently) :cry:

I'd have hoped that they had something a little more elegent by now!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Pretty sure my bulbs are not burning out, just shaking themsaelves to bits...but I shall keep an eye on the rectifier...( voltage display seems to be spot on when I check it..)

The instrument panel change hasn't improved things..the fuel light now comes on at 120 miles with room for 9 litres :shock: I have emailled 3 cross for them to see what else can be done..
I was also shocked while the bike was in for the repair someone removed the sidelight and it looks like they lost the rubber seal from the light fitting and instead of telling me, they wrapped the wires around the rubber outer cap and pushed the bulb loosely in place..I am waiting for an explanation on that too :x
idleidolidyll

Re:

Post by idleidolidyll »

VeloceSteve wrote:Hi,

Please don't quote me on this but I belive that the FL gauge is to do with the heated grips gauge. When they are fitted you can adjust them to different tempetures.
when i got my bike a few days ago i played with the heated handgrip switch even though i dont have heated grips: the orange engine light came on and i had to turn the key off and on again to clear it.
idleidolidyll

Re: Fuel Consumption

Post by idleidolidyll »

DaveG wrote:Hi All,
So there we were on the way back from French motogp, me on GP my mate Andy on his BMW1200ST. We stop at Maidstone services and fill up. Next stop Hilton Park for use of services and we decide to fill up again.
Andy's bike takes 16.3litres and GP takes 20.97litres! Hmmmm.
Good job it has a big tank then.
DaveG
I just sold my F800S to buy the Granpasso. The Beemer would get up to 400km from its 16 litres and my buddy's 1200 Beemer is almost as good. BMW seem to run very lean mixtures at trailing throttles.

I've never seen any other similar sized bike give better fuel ecxonomy than the beemers.

As a reference, my old KTM 950SM was a gas guzzler compared to the Granpasso.
Red S

Re: Fuel consumption and other stuff

Post by Red S »

After a trip to France I appear to be getting 9 miles per litre of fast but steady riding on motorway and A roads. I can't get more than 25 litres in my tank, having run it until it ran out of fuel once. Even so, that gives me about 225 miles on a tank at maximum. I now tend to ignore the fairly random fuel warning light.

On a negative note, a heavy downpour sent my speedo haywire. It was reading a variety of speeds (184 mph at the highest) regardless of weather the bike was actually moving. Now it doesn't register anything, and the air temperature reading has also stopped working. All the other functions work, so I assume it is the sensor. Being mechanically quite crap, can anyone tell me where this is and whether it is an easy fix? - just so I can look like I know what I'm talking about. The GP is still under warranty, so I'm not worried about the cost.

I also need to replace both tyres. The Pirelli Scorpions have been great, with as much side grip as I can use, even in the wet (I still have a chicken strip) and a 7000 mile life, but there doesn't seem to be much choice for a matching pair. I've got the 180/55 rear wheel. Any tyre recommendations?
padgman

Re: Instrument panel

Post by padgman »

I was quoted £180 for a ("difficult to obtain") Pirelli Scorpion Sync which (I was warned) would not have lasted out my planned 5000 mile tour last month. No one else makes adv/sport tyres in 180 size. My local guy suggested Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart at £250 for pair (rear £136) - these are pure road tyres but are readily available across Europe if I had problems. I did not, they lasted very well - rear has another couple of 000 left in it. Bit of a compromise re grip on the edge compared with Scorps but otherwise thouroughly recommended for distance/loaded up work. I went away with 3 harley riders - they had over 10 breakdowns over 2 week period!! I had to change one light bulb and adjust chain once, and only by one flat on bolt! Getting over 50 mpg - Stupendous motorcycle!!!
Red S

Re: Instrument panel

Post by Red S »

Thanks for the info. Have finally gone for Bridgestone BT020 on the front and BT021 on the rear, having liked the Bridgestones on previous bikes. I had to order a 19 inch front though. So far they seem as grippy as the scorpions.
3X have fixed the sensor, which was just a loose connector. It turns out that unless the bike registers at least 20 mph (I think) you don't get an air temperature reading either, so that works again.

3X have not been able to fully cure the occasional stalling, which does not seem to bear any relation to the engine temperature. This is really the only niggle that is spoiling a brilliant bike. I no longer care about the fuel warning light as I never get less than 180 miles from a tank, and have been on target for 230 miles + on long steady rides.