New Corsaro1200 rider in Cumbria

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Chips1953

New Corsaro1200 rider in Cumbria

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi
I live in CarLisle and have bought a black Corsaro from 3X.
It seems it belonged to a guy called Stephen, and I'm guessing it's "furskin"?
It's my first Morini and am looking forward to getting it, not sure I'll be taking it out in the salt too much.
Hada couple of V twins before, Ducati, SP1 but never something as exotic as this.
Hope to be a loyal member, as I'v been looking for something like this for a long time.
Regards :D
Last edited by Chips1953 on 15 Jun 2012 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
twisty

Re: New Cosaro1200 rider in Cumbria

Post by twisty »

have you got the workshop manual as it's helpful to have?
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi
No I've not ot it, is it available via the forum?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I do believe that I am getting the handbook with bike, though.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
twisty

Post by twisty »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jj0pas

printable pdf version

link doesn't last forever
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

That's good.
Thank you for that twisty.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

And thanks also to both of you, me being able to download the Manuals at the same time!!

Chips; just popped in to 3X (mine's in there at the mo'), good to see your bike almost ready to go off to it's new home.

Have you seen my post about getting your pipes polished? (Not a metaphor!) It does make a load of difference. Ask Mark or Adey to send you the before & after photos, if that's your thing you might want to get it done before you get the bike?? It was the only thing that I didn't like on mine before I collected it and it just about made it perfect!

R's

AR
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi AR.

I think I'll give the pipe polishing a miss at the moment, don't really want anyone else touching her special parts!
Hope your's is for a service and nothing untoward.
Hopefully we'll meet up and swap stories sometime next year. Looking forward to being part of the club.

Cheers George
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I wanted to give my impressions of this bike I have been wanting for some time now and have at last tried her out.

3 X sent me new battery but alas it was too large to fit the bike, but God bless 'em they are sending another on Wednesday.
So I finally got the bike on the road yesterday, with the help of an old car battery to get the bike warmed up to operating temp.

So overjoyed was I to get it started that I grabbed my helmet and gloves and set off down the A69 without any protection against the cold. The bike told me it was 6 degrees so I thought that will do. An hour of getting to know the beast later I suddenly realised how cold it was on the Military Road so turned for home.

So what about the bike?
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200. Not a bike well known by many, even motorcyclists.

I expected her to be a lot more aggresive from what others had said, so initially I eased the throttle open and was more than delighted with the power, constant, progressive and smooth. Easing the bike to aound 60 in top you can hardly hear her as she purrs along. Cracking the throttle a smidgen hurries her forward with a very rewarding roar from the rear end, almost agricultural in depth but somewhat more technical.
Keeping to the speed limit most of the time, flashing past the general procession down the A69 towards Newcastle, with a quick blip of the throttle was no problem.
Of course most bikes can do this nowadays, so what is different?
What is different is that it is very rare machine, with audacious styling and, could you call it swashbucklingly different design, certainly something a Honda is not.
I am 6' and 15 stone so was pleased to be able to sit very comfortably in the bike almost. Getting astride is a bigger kick than my other bikes and is similar to a GS1200, with the feet perhaps a little too high. I am sure I'll get used to it the more I ride.
Had some fun playing with the idiot button and trying to understand the nature of the light that is able to be set for what?????? Please can some one explain this to me. It cannot be for rev's as the is a counter, and it cannot be for gear change as you can hear the bike well enough.
Anyway the most important thing is been on it and am looking forward to less sticky roads so I can do the throttle more justice.
Hope this not too much bull, but I haven't been this enthusiastic for some time, not since my Mum lent me £50 to buy a Royal Enfield Continental in 1969. Was that tempremental!
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
twisty

Post by twisty »

you forgot to mention the grin :P from ear to ear
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Took the bike out again today, rain started after about 10 miles, speedo registered 0 a couple of miles later and the odometer stopped, the electronic ignition light came on, so decided to go home and check it out.
Diagnostic says "speedo failure".
Got the manual up on the PC ( thanks Twisty) checked fuse no5 and the general relay, so it must be a connection , got the tank lifted seems like there is a fuel leak, but never mind at the moment it is a labour of love.
It must be water ingress, I'm guessing.
The fuel leak seems to have perished some of the rubber seals around the connectors. :!:
The battery arrived a day early from 3X today, so that is charged and mounted, many thanks 3X.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi George,

It will be the wheel speed sensor I expect. There are a few posts about it on the forum but to summarise:

I've had this happen a couple of times, and new sensors under warranty cured the problem.

Before you search out new parts try the following;

Carefully clean the wheel speed sensor and the disc bolts (the sensor is mounted on the swing arm at about the same point as the disc bolts). If its water ingress related (I don't know) then maybe some water dispersant around the place where the wire comes out. Be careful not to 'lube' your rear disc in the process!

Clean the sensor connector (you can trace it up from the rear wheel to underneath one of the v shaped frame infill covers.

While you've got the water dispersant out its worth giving the handlebar controls a good spray as very heavy rain can get into the switch when riding and cause the high beam to come on. I regularly give mine a squirt of WD40 when I clean the bike and I've not had the problem since.

Check the sensor to disc bolt clearance. I'm told the shimming is important (there are shims underneath) but I dont know the spec. I'm sure it'll be in the manual or somebody on here could tell you.

Once fixed the warning light on the dash will turn itself off after a short ride.

Let us know how you get on,
Tom
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well that was quick...... I'll be on the case today and let you know what the conclusion is, thank you.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Ok.
Swapped the two relays over and the Fault remained, checked and cleaned the sensor under the spindle on the back wheel and noticed that the sleeve on the sensor was not covering the cable entry, pushed it over.
The fault has gone as in no light on and the speedo registers 0, but all the time, no increase from 0 whatever speed the rear wheel is turning. The bike was on a rear wheel stand when I put it in gear and release the clutch.
I switched to Km and tried again. When the bike started the rear wheel rotated and spurious Km readings came then it reverted to 0 again.
It must be the sensor.
I guess it must be pulsing as the bolts pass, but at what voltage, perhaps a meter may show some fluctuation but is it good enough for the receiver tell?

Had to repair the battery negative lug as it broke away from the cable. Soldered a new lug, Ok.

Could not find a fuel leak from the tank, but something has bu***** the rubber on the fuel pump plug and socket. It's turned to jelly.

Guess I'll have to ring 3X for a sensor.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Spoke to 3X and the recommendation is to remove the speed sensor clean it up, clean down the wheel bolts and set a gap of 40 thou.

Sent an Email to Moto Morini spares (ricambi), I thought it was some blokes name, they' don't have any at the moment, but plenty of rear wheels!

The reply was almost instant.

I'd like to say that the forum members have been very helpful and I thank you very much.

Regards
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965