Rough running, help required

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Andy R

Rough running, help required

Post by Andy R »

08 Veloce, Symptons;
at idle speeds, it will idle, but engine occasionally cuts out, when both moving & stationary
in motion, will not hold an engine speed without lurching and hunting
accelerating is unsure with lurching popping and banging

Not running like a dream.......yes it is running on both cylinders

Thoughts anyone?
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
72degrees

Re: Rough running, help required

Post by 72degrees »

I know nothing about the new breed, but from the little I know about modern FI bikes my money would be on the 'stepper motor'.
twisty

Post by twisty »

if it has just started after a winter layup it will probably be sticking stepper and /or junk in fuel filter.

try wynns dry fuel ,will take a while to go through the system to blow the cobwebs out. Fuel filter?

Lurching and especially the hunting usually indicates fuel , just like on old bikes when you had a reserve you could get the bike hunting as the fuel sloshed about in the tank just above the reserve level.

i was going to say coils but they don't tend to get the engine hunting , but will give you popping and banging if the spark is suddenly firing the fuel. the coils, especially the rear one tend to go ,probably due to the heat.

check rectifier first to see if it is giving out the correct voltage .i.e what is the voltage at idle and when revving. If you are losing volts then that will give you popping and banging along with lurching.

Use the diagnostic in the speedo ,kill switch off and keep the button on the dash pressed whilst turning the ignition key to get into diagnostic mode before you do anything.
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

About 3 years ago I had the same problem, (posted about it) took it to Tec Moto (who sadly are no longer around) and it turned out to the result of a small drilling/jet in the throttle bodies used as a bypass when on idle, it had become blocked by "gunge" as a result of the bike being laid up for a longish period, they removed the throttle bodies and used a small oxy acetylene nozzle file to open the hole and hey presto the bike was back to running properly at idle Richard (Tec Moto) did say he had seen the problem a few times and running a fuel cleaner through the engine sometimes unblocked the "drillings/jets" without having to remove the throttle bodies. once you have removed and refitted the throttle bodies they will probably need to be synced but this is no major drama
Corsaro Veloce
Aprilia TuonoV4 APRC
4V 500 Weslake Barber grass tracker
2V 500 Jawa Hagon grasstracker
500 Jap 4B Barber grasstracker
500 Jap 5stud jawa speedway
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's gone back to 3X for now.

Time to sit back & wait.....

Andy
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
rrey

Post by rrey »

Hi guys!

I have the same problem with my GP although never experienced such in my previous 3 years with a Corsaro.

The engine runs really bad when low on throttle and up to 4 Krpm. To be more accurate (I´ve fitted a datalogging system to find out), the engine runs well till 5-7% throttle and then badly from there up to 35-37% (which is a lot!) and up to 4000rpm. Actually you can drive at 3Krpm in that range of throttle and feel its lack of response when opening, very very lazy and jerky. You even feel that cruising at 120Km/h the engine feels very unconfortable and even a bit jerky as well even at constant gas. AFR is 12.7-12.9 in that range which is on the rich side but OK, definately not the reason for this problem.

When you remove the lambda sensor from the cat and leave it to the air, the engine runs the same!. No change!.

I´ve reset the throttle, changed spark plugs, even checked the air screws at the throttle bodies. On of the crews was closed (front cylinder) and 1 turn out for the rear one. I finally adjusted both to 1 turn out for %CO but anyway I tried 1/2, and even all the way to 2 turns without any improvement. Does anybody knows what the settings are from factory??

Once you are over 35% throttle the engine feels powerful and reponsive but till that point feels like rubbish. My previous Corsaro didn´t have this problem at all!.

Any suggestions??. I´m quite desperate because this is the cruising engine speed and I´m having a trip to Croatia in 3 weeks!!

ANDY R: Have you solved the problem yet???. What was it??

Thanks guys!!
MrWilson

Post by MrWilson »

I have the same symptoms than Rrey used to have. Mine is 9 1/2. Has anyone solved this kind of problem?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Has it just started, or has the problem been there from day 1?

If the latter, try a new ECU map.
MrWilson

Post by MrWilson »

It Has been ok before. No perfect, but very relaxing ride. Now it's annoying when you ride any longer trips.
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Andy r
I'm surprised 3x are looking at it as they haven't done morini's for many a year and they told me they didn't have the software anymore to talk to the ECU. Let us know how you go. My money is on the stepper motor , as I done some research myself , mine won't hold ticking over , if I try starting it below 14degrees unless I hold the throttle and keep it at 2k. Apart from that I've had no issues.

Floydy
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Read the date... :)
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

floydsveloce wrote:Andy r
I'm surprised 3x are looking at it as they haven't done morini's for many a year and they told me they didn't have the software anymore to talk to the ECU. Let us know how you go. My money is on the stepper motor , as I done some research myself , mine won't hold ticking over , if I try starting it below 14degrees unless I hold the throttle and keep it at 2k. Apart from that I've had no issues.

Floydy

"I know nothing about the new breed, but from the little I know about modern FI bikes my money would be on the 'stepper motor'."
72degrees Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:Read the date... :)
Ha! I was in Dorset last weekend picking up a bike from a business very closely linked with Three Cross. I quizzed them about the situation with the aborted Voxan distribution deal in 2004 or so. "Interesting."
MrWilson

Post by MrWilson »

I'm sorry about waking up so old thread. But there were two bikes with problem and no proper answer. About the stepper motor... Yes, I have doubts about it because it makes weird rattling noise when shutting down the engine. Also it doesn't close at all even in higher rews. But the bike has run quite ok even then.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Stepper motor would have my vote too; when my first Corsaro had starting problems I had to hold the throttle very slightly open until it was fixed by NLM at the next service...

See you Saturday, Floydie?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"