Front Discs Replacement issues

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Chips1953

Front Discs Replacement issues

Post by Chips1953 »

Had a long ride on the Corsaro (1800 miles).
A couple of issues, but only the one I'd like to raise at the moment.
The front discs, or disc seem to be warped as I get ABS type braking which is more annoying than anything else except when coming to a stop.
Went to NLM on the way back and they don't have any, if they did it would be £200+ per disc, they did say remove the discs and check for corrosion behind to see if that was bending it/them. I'll do that shortly, but not expecting that to be the solution.
A quick check reveals that EBC don't make them, but there is a supplier of wavy discs on Ebay from China at an absolute bargain at £123/pair delivered. (Anybody ever used wavy discs? or are they just a gimmick?)
I know someone has purchased a pair in the UK by looking at their sales record, is it one of us? Will they own up? Are they made of rice paper? Is £123 so cheap I'll take a chance? Who knows? Does the Pope have shares in Bimota?
If anybody has any ideas, please let me know or even own up to the Ebay transaction. :wink:

Cheers
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
nfitz

Re: Front Discs Replacement issues

Post by nfitz »

Personaly I wouldned risk my neck on a set of Chinese disks ... spend the money and get the safety.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

NEVER economise on brakes.

I "work" with Chinese manufacturers and wouldn't trust them to manufacture anything properly

Andy R
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I tend to agree with you guys about no compromise over the discs, but global companies source stuff from all over, don't they?

What worries me about all this is where are Brembo discs made?

Where does the guy on Ebay in China get his material and his CNC machinery?

Who manufactures the Brembo discs on my Morini?

Here is some spiel I retrieved from the Brembo website.

​With an investment of 70 million Euros planned, the Group will serve its European customers' plants that produce cars and commercial vehicles in Asia. The center integrates a foundry and 41 production lines between brake discs and braking systems, as well as a research and development center.

The Brembo Group officially opened its new Nanjing manufacturing center today in the presence of Brembo President Alberto Bombassei and representatives of the Italian and Chinese government.

With more than ten years in the Chinese market, Brembo has concentrated production activities of the Group into a single area of 95,000 square meters on the outskirts of the city of Nanjing.
All stages of the production value chain, from arrival of raw materials to shipment of finished products, have been integrated into the new site for a total planned investment of 70 million euros.

This does not mean that our discs are made there, but I've had the same trouble with Fireblade discs twice now, (where do Honda get their discs from?) the only way to sort that was to use EBC replacements.

Someone who has a Corsaro has bought these discs and I'd like to know how they got on with them?

Lastly, I'm old enough to remember sneering BSA/Triumph riders, talking about Jap Crap.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Why would a little manufacturer in China decide to make Corsaro brake discs?
How many could he sell? Would it not be better to make Brutal discs and where did he get the measurements from? Did he say I'll check out Moto Morini, bound to make a killing there then.
I think he must have some idea about previous manufacturing of these products.
If you notice it says that Brembo has pulled together it's manufacturing resource in after 10 years, in my previous post.
So could it be that he made the discs and now is on his own trying to make a living in some small way, or has he set up to supply something he knows all about?
Call me cynical, but there is more to this than a quick buck.

I'd welcome a reply just to make sure I'm not paranoid.

George.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
twisty

Post by twisty »

i think the discs on the corsaro are the "floating" type i.e they move around on the fixing bolts and if clogged with corrosion or crud then fail to "float".

Worth checking as this will give you the symptoms of a warped disk.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

The Morini brake discs are unlikley to be a unique fitment.

The wheels are marchesini standard items so PCD's will crossover to loads of models with 320mm rotors I suspect.

The discs look identical to the ones that were fitted to my Benelli Tornado RS (now sold) and the forks are also the same as the Novocento model so offset is likely to be the same. They will probably crossover to a shed load of Ducati models as well.

Regarding the cheapo Chinese jobs, interesting thread on the Benelli forum below.

http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showt ... ment+discs

Concensus is they aren't all that bad but yer pays yer money etc.

Below is a link to Enginia#s Tornado site with loads of info on crossover brake parts. :-)

http://www.engenia.com.au/07_Frame/03_B ... otors.html
Dave H

Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT :)
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :lol:
Beta RR300 :mrgreen:
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Harley Davidson used Chinese manufacturers for many items in the buell xb range..including discs/wheels etc and they appear fine
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

I drive the chinese wave disks, 5.000 miles (not km :) now. No problem.
Btw, almost all companies have their goodies forged in China
wieltjes klein.jpg
wieltjes klein.jpg (186.96 KiB) Viewed 21989 times
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Thanks for that information, much as I thought. I'll be joining you perhaps not with the wavy ones, but I'll see.

Well I've been and gone and done it, a set of front discs for £123.00 delivered from China. Got the wavy ones, what the hell.
They have 8 sets left.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

[quote="MonstroMorini"]I drive the chinese wave disks, 5.000 miles (not km :) now. No problem.
Btw, almost all companies have their goodies forged in China

Did you have to pay import duty?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
jvhy

Post by jvhy »

Hi!

I replaced my warped original discs with EBC wavy (just a little bit that wavyness) discs. It is also possible to find non wavy discs from EBC. And I think almost all disc manufacturers make discs suitable for Corsaro. Even thou Morini is not mentinod from application list!

If you check application list from some manufacturer's web pages you can find that Corsaro discs are same that are used in quite many other bikes too! For example Aprilias, Ducatis, Benellis and so on...Just check size, mounting and offset of the disc and off you go!

And what causes the disk to warp. Front discs in bikes are usually semi floating or fully floating and there is couple of common reasons that can cause problems:
1. Piston in calipers are not moving freely. Calipers are not serviced (cleaned) and piston stay in touch (too much) with disc after breaking. That causes the disc to heat up (and stay heated up) and after awhile disc warps.
2. Disc stud (one or more) are stucked. I mean those studs that keep the inner rotor of brakedisc attached to brake itself. There is no floating in disc and when it heats up it might warp! In some bikes this is quite common issue (certain model of Hondas). You can try to fix this with putting a 6mm bolt with nut through stud and turning it with battery drill. Turning stud clears the mounting surfaces and after that the floating works again...
3. After (heavy) breaking you ride into water and discs cool down too quickly and that causes tha warping.

BR,

-Janne
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

The wavy discs arrived yesterday, looking good, can't see into the metal, so can't say if they real but will fit them ASAP.
I will have a good look at what Twisty and Janne have said about the floating problems and let you know how I get on.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well there we go, they are on as the vibes were getting worse, esp' in the wet?
Fantastic, no more lurching to the lights, and excellent stopping.
No issue now, it's solved.
I went to Penrith Motorcycles to have them fitted, and Anton did an excellent job, also setting up my suspension for me whilst I was there.
Many thanks.
Attachments
wavy disc1.jpg
wavy disc1.jpg (107.25 KiB) Viewed 21744 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965