Cooling issues

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
kCo

Cooling issues

Post by kCo »

Hi,

Today engine temp went almost to 125 celcius, giving a nice liquid fountain. I found the reason. Both fans were not so well rotating.
I saw time ago that Yamaha Raptor ATV uses the same fans, and also some other bike ? Anyone have a tip?

Left fans is changed two times for warranty but now both of them are dead.

thanks.
twisty

Re: Cooling issues

Post by twisty »

if the fans are not working have you checked the temp sensor wire/connectors, rather than the fans themselves.

Just put a 12v voltage across the fan connectors to see if they are working correctly, if they are then it's probably the sensor.

Won't be an expensive item as it will probably be common to a benelli,ducati or aprillia
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

One of the relays behind the screen does the fans- check that's working too
kCo

Post by kCo »

So did the workshop manual said that fans are protected by fuse. Is that relay so "called" normal which I can found at sparepart store?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

From my earlier post elsewhere on the forum:
(incidentally these relays have been perfect in my bike since)
Relays
by morini_tom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 pm
Okay let's put this topic to bed once and for all!

Took the corsaro for the first ride of the summer and was annoyed when the fans didn't cut in. Makes you realise how effective the fans are- even in the cool april morning air I saw 112 deg on the dash- nervously awaiting the bike to turn itself into a mobile water feaCture, which fortunately it didn't.

The relays behind the headlamp seemed the most likely suspect, so I started there. Oddly, I'm sure they have moved- perhaps a warranty fix at the last service (July 2010). They are now mounted to the bracket which supports the right hand side of the nose fairing (I'm sure they were directly behind the headlamp by the temp sensor before) This is probably a more sensible place for them, out of the worst of the water etc so a good suggestion for an easy update. Most of the electrical connectors seem also to have been smeared with battery grease, messy and annoying when working on the bike now, but again, perhaps a sensible precaution, and evidence that the main dealers appear to still be 'updating' things despite the factory situation (that, or 3x are very thorough- either way I'm a happy customer)

Substituting the fan relay (centre one) for one of the headlamp relays alongside stopped the headlamp working but fixed the fan, so I ordered a handful of spare relays from Vehicle wiring products at £4 each. Job done... Or so I thought...

Having just gone out to fit the new relay, I've noticed that all 3 relays on my bike are different- one is a 5 pin with no markings, one is a 5 pin 15/25 the same as MR15 and one is a 4 pin with no markings. I'll probably just fit 3 of the new relays and be done with it, but it'd be nice to put this topic to bed once and for all, so what relays do others have fitted and in what locations?

Incedentally with the faulty fan relay I got a RH fan Short Circuit to ground error (Thanks for the tip about how to access the diagnostics menu, Twisty) and at one point a complete refusal to start. Seems to be okay with the new relay and the fault code has gone...

For those interested the new relays I ordered were micro relays Ref: MR15 from here: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... relays.php
nicko

Post by nicko »

Sound like the relay behind the nose fairing has gone, I had the same problem.

I now have another problem whereby the left hand fan sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but I haven't yet been able to fathom out why.
kCo

Post by kCo »

Changing the relay did not solve this problem, so I bet some wire is short to ground somewhere. For now I took 12v from battery straight to both fans and put a manual switch next to airbox. I'll check out wiring later.

Now a new problem. temp at monitor wanders around -20 --> +90 and the temp sensor connector is gone bad. Any suggerstion does Ducati or some other italian have the same sensor? Or any good idea for connector?