Oil and filters

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Tricky

Oil and filters

Post by Tricky »

Bike oil is shockingly priced, if like me you change your oil more frequently it gets very expensive, what ever make of bike you have.
The recomended oil is a 4T 10w60 fully synthetic race oil for the Corsaro 1200. I have read its specs it states its designed for thumpers etc. I am going to try to beat the £50 :shock: ive been quoted for the oil. Does anyone have a source for the oil at a great price?

OIl filters are not a problem all being well I will have plenty of these spare.

Happy riding :D
Tricky
MickeyMoto

Re: Oil and filters

Post by MickeyMoto »

£45 to £50 sounds about right for 4 litres of the slippery stuff.

The AGIP is available on ebay - £24.95 plus £8.95 postage, BUT it has a picture of a car on the front and does not have 4T in title. It is API SG grade as recommended. Is there a difference apart from the can?

Silkoline and Motul also do 10/60 fully synthetic.

Where do you buy your filters?

Thanks,

Mike.
jvhy

Post by jvhy »

Hi!

I use Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W/60. It is 71€ / 4 liters in Finland (From which I get 10% discount...). I don't know if you can find it cheaper from UK?

-Janne
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

NLM sell the filters, but they are £21 +, with no delivery, no seals, just a box and the filter, who is holding whom to ransom here?
You will find lots of discussion about this subject on the forum.
Perhaps we should ask the factory to try to sort this out? £75 for an oil change!
The bike is worth whatever we choose to pay for these items, but sometimes people are apt to take the p**s.
Black dog day, got to find something to moan about. :evil: , but am off to Wsbk now, 3 days of bikes, down there today and then the race tomorrow, back home on Monday. No it's not a Ducati. :roll:
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
twisty

Post by twisty »

The dealers in this country just take the pure piss out of customers. Vote with your feet and buy abroad, with no custom duties from europe the local dealers do not have a free hand.
I'm not in favour of supporting dealers who screw customers to the wall. With forums now, the mystique of dealers is gone.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

So true.
I was quoted £27+vat for a filter combined with the Oil @£50 £80 odd pounds in total, Given no choice in the matter I would do it for piece of mind. How ever thats not me. My filters are coming from Italy the oil I am still working on that due to the weight the oil will be a local purchase. Your right re the dealers taking the Pxxx.

Im happy to support local business when its practicle.

Janne im going for the Motul brand, Mike the one with the bike on the can not the car, im not entirley sure what the actual difference is. My intentions are to bulk buy oil as I have done with filters. If it works out I will post costs etc, there will be plenty going spare which I will make available. Chips I will keep am eye out for the boxes and seals too.

happy riding
Rich
nicko

Post by nicko »

Isn't the difference due to bikes having a wet clutch and a (lot) higher reving engine thus the oil is under much more load?
AusVeloce

Post by AusVeloce »

I have just switched from Motul to Maxima Extra 4 SAE10W 60. This is an US oil that is listed as 100% synthetic, motorcycle specific and at A$90 for 4 liters is cheaper than the Motul (A$120). The owner of the bike shop told me that he now runs Extra 4 exclusively in his race bikes. After changing over I noticed that the clutch was running quieter and that the idle had increased by 150rpm. We did a 2000km round trip and the bike ran faultlessly, so good in fact that I have just changed over to Extra 4 for my track bike (2000 model R6). :D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

According to the Morini website filters are available from them, but via Service Partners. See below for prices (€) - add VAT and delivery oh, and the dealer Mark up....

Standard
M92200002400
FILTRINO OLIO (EX 158027)
OIL FILTER
Standard
M92200004400
FILTRINO OLIO CON ANELLO (EX 774918)
SMOL OIL FILTER + RING

As for the oil, is it again the manufacturers trying to rip us off or are the car and bike oils different? Surely if the oil meets a standard then it can be used?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

The oil requirements of a motorcycle engine and a car engine are significantly different. Assuming that the working temperatures, speeds and bearing loadings are comparable (which they're not), motorcycle engines normally have a single oil which has to serve the engine, starter clutch, clutch (if wet) and transmission. The requirements of the oil and therefore the additive packages used for car and motorcycle oils therefore differ significantly, and are developed with all these compromises in mind.

In particular the VI improvers used in car oils can be degraded by the high level of shear encountered in the motorcycle gearbox and clutch- meaning that the lubricating ability of the oil could fall off rapidly. An oil designed for motorcycle use will be more stable in shear and will maintain its viscosity for longer, protecting your engine and saving your wallet from being emptied when the whizzy metal bits get a bit too friendly.

My advice- trust the manufacturers on this one- both Morini and the oil companies will have spent a vast amount of time developing the product, not to rip you off by charging more for rebadged car oil, but to protect your motorcycle engine and give it the longest possible life.

If you still need convincing, just think how much an engine rebuild would cost and weigh that up against a 10 or 20 quid a year saving in the cost of oil...
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks Tom,

As Oil changes are yearly or 6k miles that should mean 1 change per year for most people.

Maybe what we need is a list of oils, not just AGIp, as I'm sure dealers will use their own brands. So far I have seen Maxima, Motul and Silkolene.

Agip is available at about £45 for 4 litres.

As for the filters, did anybody find a supplier of OEM? I would prefer to use OEM complete with seals etc rather than an unmarked boxed item of doubtful pedigree. A poor filter can also lead to premature engine wear or damage.

Mike.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

As you can tell I have time on my hands presently,

I have spoken to the parts manufacturers and Oil suppliers. The italians are all on Holiday until the end of August. Looks like my box of filters wont be here untl september.
There is lots of choice for Oils more then I thought.

This is why its all very expensive.
Manufacturer
Importer
distributor
Retail outlet/service centre
customer

Im interested to know if my clutch performs differently with a different brand of oil too. I think I may do 2 oil changes if not more its first year of me owning it.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I went to NLM on the way up Silverstone to get another filter, but they are shut on Mondays, worth noting. still had breakfast in the Copper Kettle, an industrial unit cafe in Ellistown. 2 eggs, 2 rashers and a tea for £2.30. (Tasty) I think the copper comes from the sidings and belongs to Railtrak, however a useful watering hole.
Rich, from where have you purchased your Filters?
I mused Motul the lat time around, it was on offer from Demon Tweeks.
Cheers
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Chips,

Good breakfast for that price.mmmm
Ive taken a leap of faith with the filters, ive parted with my monies lets see if they arrive first. The shipping added a big cost but the QTY ordered makes it cheaper. They work out £20 delivered, in their individual boxes too.
The oil im now using is Rock Oil Ive got that for £32 for 4ltrs.
Ive succeeded in getting an £80 oil change to a fraction over £50. Im not done with the filters yet they are still too expensive but theres not much more I can do presently.

PM me for more info.

Ive been looking into oil testing, with respect to not changing oil too early or too late, Ive always been interested in this subject. Whilst doing my oil and filter research i came across Lubricheck. Ineresting technology, Im going to get one.

Now im off to get a breakfast.

Rich
twisty

Post by twisty »

if you look back through the old posts you will see that i sent an original unused filter to USA and they were able to make a reuseable stainless filter which takes the hassle out of being held to blackmail by dealers.

I'm sure they still have the original to use as a prototype.