Cooling

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
nicko

Cooling

Post by nicko »

Hi,

Just a question re cooling. Are the two fans on the Corsaro running from the same temp sensor/sender or are they independent.

I have intermittent issues with the left hand fan not working and have checked various connections but they look good to me.

My next thought was to try to swap the connections and see what happens. If I do so I will post and let you know.

Cheers
Nick
Chips1953

Re: Cooling

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi
I was interested by this, so I thought I would check myself.
The manual describes the operation of the fans via a signal from the ECU to the fan relay located at the rear of the head lights.
There are 2 plugs in the wiring loom each of which runs to either the left or right fan. Section 7 page 3.
It could be the connection from the relay, the relay or your fan that is intermittent. Section 6 page 4.
I can't find a wiring diagram, but the loom is shown in the manual. Section 7
The fan appears to held in situ with 3 screws, but It may be possible to apply 12v to the faulty fan and see what gives, after removing the plug of course. Good Luck.
George
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Both of my fans cut in at 90C, so can't see why there would be two separate outputs.

Tried swapping the leads to the fans and see if the fault moves?

90 appears a little low, a lot of cars run at 95C but obviously Ing Lambertini knows best... I noticed that when the air temp is above 20C the engine runs a little hotter so a short stop gets the noisy fans running. The first time it happened I wondered what damage had befallen the engine!
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

ELECTRIC FAN
NOTE - The cooling system is made up of two electric
fans (C) that start automatically to cool the radiator
down in case the coolant temperature becomes
too high.
The electric fans are protected by a fuse.
• Electric fan switching on temperature: 91°C
• Electric fun switching off temperature: 86°C

The above is an extract from the manual.

If they are protected by a single fuse then they are driven by a single relay.
What's interesting is that Ducati use 2 fans and 2 relays with the temperature at start up being different for either fan, but they have 2 radiators as well. Do they have 2 cylinders I wonder? :) :)
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
nicko

Post by nicko »

Many thanks for the replies.

Yes, the fan relay is behind the nose fairing (I know this due to previous issues). Although the fan is held in with 3 screws, you need to move the radiator to remove the fan from the housing (I have also tried this but gave up when I couldn't undo the inside bolts holding the radiator to the frame).

I haven't yet switched the leads over but I will to see if the issue moves to the right had side. The fans have always kicked in at 90C, possibly on the cusp of rising to 91C but after experiencing an overheating engine before, I tend to get a little paranoid.

Cheers
Nick
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Chips1953 wrote:ELECTRIC FAN
NOTE - The cooling system is made up of two electric
fans (C) that start automatically to cool the radiator
down in case the coolant temperature becomes
too high.
The electric fans are protected by a fuse.
• Electric fan switching on temperature: 91°C
• Electric fun switching off temperature: 86°C

The above is an extract from the manual.

If they are protected by a single fuse then they are driven by a single relay.
What's interesting is that Ducati use 2 fans and 2 relays with the temperature at start up being different for either fan, but they have 2 radiators as well. Do they have 2 cylinders I wonder? :) :)
With the race map they open at 95, with the eu5 maps, 2008 and 2010 available, they start at 98 degrees.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

My Corsaro fan started at 90 degrees

My GranPasso started at 98 degrees after attention at 3X; prior to this it was coming on at 100 - which caused the pipe to "pop" (possibly...) after it red-lighted in Croydon. Running down to Dijon it was working quite hard to stay cool - 30 degrees plus ambient temperature there. I keep a very careful eye on the water coolant level now!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nicko

Post by nicko »

Swapped the fans over and everything seemed to work for a while, however yesterday the right hand fan stopped working. The fault has stayed with the fan. Next thoughts, a dodgy fan???