Adding Termis on my new Corsaro Veloce MY2012

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
MisterMorini

Re: Adding Termis on my new Corsaro Veloce MY2012

Post by MisterMorini »

franco82 wrote:Hi guys,
just one more update :lol:
I must edit my previous post, because the feel is really different with baffles in or out. Without the baffles the engine is really dead til 4t RPM and the change from closed to open throttle is very erratic. I did a measurement of engine elasticity and the result is very clear. I have a really long, flat, traffic-free road with perfect surface near my home. I was running 60kph and gave it full gas at ceratain point. I then marked the point, where the bike was running 140kph with baffles out.
Then I ran the same test with baffles in and on the same distance, the bike managed to make it past 160kph. So the "baffle out" would need change of fuel map for sure. I am quite happy with sound of muted Termignoni though...
Is this the video you made of it? Woulkd be great if you could tell us which maps you used in your ECU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SXSdiPZ1mA
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Hi Mister,
Yep, its mine video. Both are using the same map. Dont know it for sure as I did not have a chance to plug it in laptop yet, but the ecu should be the latest e3 map for standard setup. Video was done just to measure the difference of real performance. Of course with correct mapping, the open setup could perform better. With the same map the open setup feel more jerky and less responsive to me, but the real performance seem to be the same.
I already switched the termis for original ones and I will repeat the test again to see if there is any difference between stock exhaust and aftermarket termis except sound.

I noticed one thing too. The open termis does not only affect the sound of exhaust side of the engine. Sound from airbox is more loud too...
Firing from exhaust appear on some circumstances. Especially decelleration with just about 5 percent of throttle. But is is nothing big. It is firing even with stock exhaust, but it is way more damped.

I will keep you updated about the performance of stock exhaust and post video here.
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

Hi Franco,

I read on the German forum that indeed a MY2012 should have the e3 map called 23ACMORCORA. Watching your video I think that you are pulling from 2000rpm in 4th gear with that map. I tried that map too but changed to something else because I didn't think it was smooth enough at low revs & very small throttle openings e.g. when negotiating tight roundabouts & such even with DB-killers inserted. I don't remember it pulling that well from 4th gear from so low either but I have to admit that I haven't actually tried the test that you did.

I also find your remark about the noise in relationship to the airbox interesting. In fact I was considering purchasing a set of second hand standard cans to reduce the noise further. I'm suffering somewhat from constantly ringing ears for which a Veloce with Termignonis isn't the ideal bike even with DB-killers inserted :? I'd like to enjoy my bike without negative impacts on my head.

So I'm looking forward to see the results of your performance tests with the standard cans. Hopefully not too much different.

regards
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Hi guys again,
as promised I ran a test comparing open Termignoni versus standard cans. So here it is! No big difference in performance, the open setup seems tu pull better from 7t RPM. But it could be due to different position, weight of fuel or new tire I installed between the tests (more upwards with stock cans maybe).

I see no big jerkiness in low RPM with open setup as with my first try. Not sure if there is any difference now.

http://youtu.be/7R0oljlNkIQ
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

Hi,
Over 5500rpm all maps are set fairly rich, even the standard map so it doesn't surprise me that it benefits from breathing more freely in the open setup in that range as compared to the stock exhaust. I'm still amazed by how well it pulls in 4th as from 2000rpm especially since you said before that you still had the standard map in the ECU. Do you yank the throttle wide open at 2000rpm when doing the test or do you have to ease it past say 2500-2800 rpm to throw it wide open there?
Rgds
G.
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Hi Mister,
yes, I opened the throttle wide open (I am really not doing it normally and it felt weird, but the bike accelerated quite happily with no protests). I see you are active on italweb forum. Unfortunately I am not good in German language and google translate is not so useful on that kind of stuff. For this reason, this excellent knowledge base on ital-web is out of my reach.

What is your opinion on running corsaro on 23ACMORCORA with open Termignoni? Is this hazard for the engine, will it run extremely lean?

Thank you,
Franco
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

franco82 wrote:Hi Mister,
yes, I opened the throttle wide open (I am really not doing it normally and it felt weird, but the bike accelerated quite happily with no protests). I see you are active on italweb forum. Unfortunately I am not good in German language and google translate is not so useful on that kind of stuff. For this reason, this excellent knowledge base on ital-web is out of my reach.

What is your opinion on running corsaro on 23ACMORCORA with open Termignoni? Is this hazard for the engine, will it run extremely lean?

Thank you,
Franco
I wouldn't recommend running the CORA map with open exhausts. It is a bit lean in the lower half of the rev range and an open exhaust will only make it worse due to the increased airflow. True that the same map with lambda off can run better as in that case you have access to the CO trim but it still stays on the lean side unless you flood the lower range with the CO trim which is non-ideal either. With open exhausts you could try 23ECMOLCORC which has a similar profile (overall fuel map shape) but no lambda and up to 24 degrees of throttle around 6% to 7% richer. Above it is the same as the CORA en below in the 2.7 to 4.0 range it is even 11% richer. Of course fuel consumption will suffer but when running open exhausts fuel economy isn't what your are looking for. I'd recommend this one for a day at the track with open pipes.