Corsaro and 1200 fuel pump

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Chips1953

Corsaro and 1200 fuel pump

Post by Chips1953 »

This may be of interest to Corsaro and all 1200 owners.
I have a fuel leak from the cable that runs through the base plate of the fuel pump/filter unit in the tank.
Checking in the manual,( what would we do without it?) the 'O' ring must be changed if the unit is removed from the tank.
I will have to do this to find the cause of the leak from the pump cable.
I rang 3 supposed dealers and did not get a good response except to say the entire unit must be purchased as the 'O' ring/ gasket is not available on it's own.
I rang 3 x and they said the same even though the gasket must be replaced after the plate has been removed as stipulated in the manual. Also they have never stocked one.
So I spoke to spares in Italy and they were very helpful, they got in touch with 3X and will be sending a gasket to them for me that they have removed from a unit.
I will be replacing the filter at the same time so that I don't have to change the gasket for another 20,000 KM.
The cost of a filter is £43.00 and the gasket is £25.00 delivered but 3X sold me the filter for £37.00.
I just hope that when the gasket arrives and I remove the unit that I can repair the cable entry to stop the leak or I'll have to buy a pump filter unit.
I will follow this up and see if the 'O' ring /Gasket is available from another source.
I have an issue with the front cylinder not firing and have a new coil and plugs and injector to replace, to see if this can be cured.
This bike seems to need a lota love.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Re: Corsaro and 1200 fuel pump

Post by Chips1953 »

If anybody has some info this I'd be glad of it.
Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I have removed my pump twice without changing the o ring - no problems.

An O ring is unlikely to be a bespoke item - measure it while it's out and odds are you will be able to buy one of the same size.

If not, buy a length of viton cord the same thickness and make your own - make sure ends are cut square and use a drop of superglue to join :D
Dave H

Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT :)
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :lol:
Beta RR300 :mrgreen:
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Dave, thanks for that I'll check when I remove the pump unit. Do you know how the pump cable is sealed as the leak is from that?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Chips1953 wrote:Dave, thanks for that I'll check when I remove the pump unit. Do you know how the pump cable is sealed as the leak is from that?
Sorry, not able to answer this without another strip down.
looking at the manual I would guess that the area arrowed on the below diagram is either sealed with a tight fitting rubber (viton) bung or most likely "potted" with some type of resin to seal around the cables, maybe with an o ring sitting in a machined flange.

You could try sealing it from the inside with one of the epoxy based putties that are on the market or try "Q-Bond" using the filler powder built up in layers from the inside (top stuff - wouldn't be without it !)

If you try sealing, make sure the area is totally grease free - use pure acetone to clean first - this will evaporate without leaving a reside. Make sure its the pure stuff - yer missus' nail polish remover will contain oil as well as acetone !

Dave H

Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT :)
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :lol:
Beta RR300 :mrgreen:
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi Dave
That's good info. The parts have arrived and it is an 'O' ring. I'll measure it's diameter and it's thickness so we can source from else where if needed.
I'll reply once I've stripped the tank. Will Isopropal Alcohol do? only as I have some.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Ok Dave, thanks so far for your help.
I've got the pump assembly out and on the bench.
The ass'y has been out before the fuel connectors on the high pressure lines have been removed with the aid of a screw driver as they have been split. I'll try to show this on the following photo. I don't think this matters too much as the mating of the lines takes place inside the connector. the clips are just there to hole the connectors together and they seem strong enough to so still.
I have replaced the fuel filter and it was full of a dark silt deposit, if this is part of the filtration I don't know, but as the bike has 20,000 k then I'm glad Iv'e done it.
The cable connection appears to be a slug of plastic molded to the cables which are heat/fuel resistant. The plastic has 2 'O' rings around it which seal the tube into which it goes, one of the 'O' rings is damaged as I'll try to show again in the pic. Cable plastic slug is held in with a circlip.
The main 'O' ring around the bottom of the ass'y is corroded with what looks like petrol varnish, it's eaten away at the rubber.
I can only think this is because air has got to it via the leak? perhaps?
As I've had the tank off I thought it may be an opportunity to clean the air filter, so I took the lid of the air box and it appears the air filter has been inserted upside down, there is a bevel at the top of the filter to allow the lid to close. this was on the bottom, as such the air box is full of s**t.
Can't think this was put together like this originally. http://www.flickr.com/photos/68202239@N08/

The main sealing 'O' ring is 5mm in width by 100mm in diameter. The o ring cord is available from ebay at 5mm.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

The fuel filter is a Mahle KL145 which cost £37 from 3X and is available on the web for £10.00
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60811-mahle ... kl145.aspx
The Nitrile rubber O rings are £3.58 for 10 on ebay and they were £25.00 for one from the 3X.
Because of the confusion of what the O ring was I felt it was safer to get it from 3X, and also the filter.
I don't feel ripped off as I chose to get a Corsaro and this is what happens when you get one.
I have had the Acetone delivered today and the new 4 way connector for the pump as well as the fibreglass sheathing and the BMC air cleaner, cleaning kit.
Glad I don't have a Ferrari .
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Used the powder filler/glue Q bond, amazing stuff, almost instant, put down 3 layers, so time to put it all back together.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

So good news for me and my Corsaro.
I left the bike for 5 days for all the bits I changed to let me think about the cause of the front cylinder not firing.
The final part, new fibre glass sleeving for the fuel pump cable arrived and I have fitted it and the plug and socket.
The whole nine yards has been fitted back together.
To recap.
I, had a non firing front cylinder and a leak from the fuel pump cable through the cable gland.
To cure the leak I've followed DaveH's suggestions and it's worked, the gland is now dry.
The non firing appears to be caused by a short on the cable to the pencil coil from the plug. I replaced this with a new/used one from a 1098 Ducati, together with new plugs for and aft, cleaned and re oiled the BMC air filter and fitted a new injector on the front cylinder.
It's all back together now and she fired up 1st throw, a first actually as perhaps the new plugs did some good.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68202239@N08/8370972030
I am feeling a lot happier now, I have only the Camel to get back on the road.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965