Relays - surprise surprise

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
MickeyMoto

Relays - surprise surprise

Post by MickeyMoto »

My Corsaro has been playing up for while on the high beam, so decided to investigate. I took apart the handlebar switch to see if anything amiss and managed to get lose the ball bearing and the spring from the high / low switch. With this fixed, thanks to a biro and a bicycle shop, i decided to take the headlights out and check the bulbs. User manual - headlight - please take to qualified electrician - bugger.

Managed to remove the headlights - easy now I know, but just don't lost all the small allen bolts. Bulbs ok. Next the fairing off and test the relays. Mine are on the left and are 1. High beam (2 contacts), 2. Low beam 3. Fans.

All appeared ok - blue light comes on when in high beam, relay clicks, low beam relay clicks and turns off when high beam selected. Low beam relay cuts out after 30 seconds with ignition on... tested relay - get a short when I manually close the contacts.

So I cheated and made up a jumper with a spade on each end and plugged this into the relay output on the loom. Relay 1 main beam lights - relay 2 low beam lights relay 3 fans come on. Then I had a brainwave - I swapped the low beam and fan relays and the lights started working - bugger me, how does that work? Maybe not enough current to get the contacts to contact? No idea. So I have been out today with the jumper in the low beam block. I think I'll buy a dozen relays...

One other thing, when I removed the fan relay the engine management light comes on - so that proved that relay!
MickeyMoto

Re: Relays - surprise surprise

Post by MickeyMoto »

Resolved thanks to Wiring Products... 2 x relays £14 delivered. Ordered Sunday, arrived today, replaced and now I have both low and high beams. Both relays had gone.

Maybe I should keep a spare on the bike in case the fan relay decides not to work?
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Hi there!

Just to save us all some time searching, could you let us know the Wiring Products part reference number?

Well worth carrying as spares.

Thanks in advance
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Andy,

Part number from vehicle wiring products is MR15

The parts interchangeability list on the club website is a useful resource with all this kind of info on it-worth adding to your favourites!
http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebikes/parts.html
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I used an MR25 for the high beam (just a make contact - 4 blade) and an MR15 / 25 for the low beam (is a changeover 15amp / 25 amp - 5 blade).
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

we use these (sealed) with diode http://it.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pana ... NCkQwtiQ==
or these - with resistance (for the low beam i prefer the diode) - http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pana ... bIy9MbA%3d
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

thanks -

notice the first one is end of life.

Still a lot cheaper than buying from Morini!