More Italian penny pinching

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
MickeyMoto

More Italian penny pinching

Post by MickeyMoto »

Went out today and 5 miles down the A1 decided it was a bit blowy so turned off to go the slower back roads. Went to change gear and thought the gear lever a bit slippery. Looking down my boot was covered in oil. Stopping I noticed smoke from below the engine and oil all over the back tyre, too. Checked the oil level which was down a bit, but still ok, I restarted the engine and oil was piddling out of the union where the oil cooler pipe exits the engine behind the cooler. I called the RAC and the guy couldn't tighten the banjo bolt so we took it apart and one of the washers was pitted. Looked like salt damage. We reassembled the washers in the reverse order, tightened the banjo and it worked ok. I managed to get home with no further oil loss. Considering I rode 250 mile round trip to Stafford last week i think I have been very lucky.

Worth checking and replacing every couple of years? I'm sure the last two failures (fuse and washer) have been caused by running the bike in all weathers in Britain and that maybe the Italian climate is a bit better, but if you wanna sell bikes outside the home country understand the market, please, Morini. It rains here, it gets icy and we use salt on our roads... :)

Still a great motorcycle...