Tuning the Suspension of a Sachs Corsaro

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Chips1953

Tuning the Suspension of a Sachs Corsaro

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi Everbody with a Corsaro 1200.
So the next stage, for me, is to be able to get the Corsaro to turn in more positively, to make the bike surer at the rear and not to waste my tyres just using the center of the tread.
The bike is more than a touring machine, so I want make the most of the handling. with adjustable equipment all round this should be possible. I have checked the forum and a definitive solution to adjustment has not been written about.
I will search the web and see what's what, meanwhile if any body has been through the loop already then please let me know.
I guess :roll: from what I've been reading about this issue, is that these adjustments are analogue, so there is no definitive graph for rider weight against shock or fork setting, or tyre type. I am using Pirelli Angles, squared off ones! oops.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Re: Tuning the Suspension of a Sachs Corsaro

Post by MickeyMoto »

George,

When I got my Corsaro the settings were set too hard. I went back to factory presets (75kg rider) and went from there. All I can see needs doing is a change to the compression damping to soften a wee bit. I weigh a bit more than 75kg but the setting appear perfect. You could measure sag etc but I find the seat of the pants the best way forward.

Don't forget to note current settings before fiddling. I have the settings written down so know exactly what I have changed.

I do find that a lot of bullshit is spoken about suspension as only the hardest track rider would be able to make a small adjustment make a difference but the basics have to be right, so start from factory preset and see what happens. I rode home from Wales in September and the tyres were used to within 5mm of the edges so job done for me.... Pirelli Diablo touring, good, no longer available tyres with great feel and good wet weather (and oil covered!) performance.... some sports tyres are no good for the road as they will not get hot enough.

Mike.
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Thanks Franco and Mike for your input.

This is looking interesting thanks, I'll follow the process and see how I get along.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/informatio ... set-up.htm

I'll report back and tell you the story.

Other bikes in my possession are all set to factory spec so this will be another learning curve.

The introduction below is from the article, says it all I think.

I bought myself a Yamaha YZF R1 bike which was supposed to a top handling bike. It was not. The bike was reluctant to turn. I took the bike to a club racer mate of mine and he had a test ride and then suggested that I increase the rebound (????) I turned the rebound (???) screw and it seemed to improve the bike handling. I turned it a bit more and it went back worse. I felt that since I had already fiddled with one of the settings, I might as well try other suspension settings.

I tried suspension setting from motorcycle newspapers, sports bike magazine, top racing websites and forums and they were all crap. In fact two sources never recommended the same setting for my bike and no one adequately explained how they got those settings. I felt I had to find my own suspension settings for my bike. In order to do so, I had to understand how it worked and this article will attempt to explain how I set up my bike and how you can too.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Hi Chips,
the article creator is 100 percent right. There are many things influencing the right setting for you. Weight, style, tires, temperature, track/road and many more.
Somewhat universal is preload setting, where you have one really major factor - weight. Preload is easily measurable too. Rebound and damping is hard to tune for profi driver even on a track. But in the article you have description of negative effects of wrong particular setting (i.e. low compression on front ->botoming on hard brakes). So you have good guide for finding optimal setting.

I use to visit gym a lot, so I am far away from factory setting preffered driver weight. :mrgreen: I had to increase the preload and now have the nearly the optimal SAG, but I am at the maximum preload. Maybe little harder spring would work for me better. But regarding damping and rebound, I just increased the factory setting to reduce the diving and squating a little. Done this in two phases to find out, that I am totally happy with new setting.

Good luck then :D