Sensor woes

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
corsaro chris

Sensor woes

Post by corsaro chris »

So here's an interesting one;

Used the Veloce the other day after a pretty grubby ride a few days earlier (with no problems other than a filthy bike at the end of it...). I'd put the bike away thinking that I'd clean it after the next ride, as it was still likely to be wet and mucky...

Once the engine was warmed up, and less than 100 metres from starting out the engine management light came on and I noticed that the speedo wasn't registering. I turned around and went back home to clean the sensor at the rear wheel (and no, the rear wheel hadn't been out and the sensor displaced - not for over a 1,000 km anyway...). On starting the bike the light was still on, but I did the trip anyway (work, and I really didn't have time to fiddle around)!

On the run back later that day - with the bike running well - I scrolled down the menu in the sensor as the speedo still wasn't working. Luckily I know the revs / speed ratios reasonably well, so didn't come to grief with the law and speed limits :)

The results are worrying - not only no speedo / mileage reading, but no gear indicator either - except neutral, when the green light and the N both show. Obviously this throws out the trip / average speed reading as well. The temperature reading still works which is just as well as the fans still come on when stationary in traffic, as does the battery output.

Any thoughts from you experienced riders out there? I've checked the fuse (ever the optimist) and they all seem fine, and also spoken to Stuart at NLM, but he hasn't encountered this previously either.

Good riding,
CC

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Re: Sensor woes

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine has the same symptoms. Started when I left the bike outside and it rained.

I cleaned the sensor etc, it worked then it didn't. I was doing 133mph over the bridge on the M62 in Manchester, 150 on the A1 and still being overtaken, then 0 and was overtaking...

Pissing me off greatly. I am going to see if a new sensor cures the ailment, but hope it is not the instrument panel.

I'll have a look to see if a common part.

Mike.
nicko

Post by nicko »

I've had a similar problem and the only cure I could find was a new sensor, I don't know if they aren't water-tight and that's the problem.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Chips1953 wrote:Took the bike out again today, rain started after about 10 miles, speedo registered 0 a couple of miles later and the odometer stopped, the electronic ignition light came on, so decided to go home and check it out.
Diagnostic says "speedo failure".
Got the manual up on the PC ( thanks Twisty) checked fuse no5 and the general relay, so it must be a connection , got the tank lifted seems like there is a fuel leak, but never mind at the moment it is a labour of love.
It must be water ingress, I'm guessing.
The fuel leak seems to have perished some of the rubber seals around the connectors. :!:
The battery arrived a day early from 3X today, so that is charged and mounted, many thanks 3X.
I had the same problem when I first got Corsaro, see above quote.
I didn't change anything in the end but I did remove dean the sensor and the cable to the sensor. I also re-tiewrapped the cable to sit at the top of the swing arm. Morini Tom gave me some advice about the sensor. It seems to be a standard "glitch".
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Thanks for the helpful responses gents, I'll certainly clean things up a little and look at cable routes. Might also spray some water repellant around (it worked on the switches some years back...).

What surprises me is that I've also lost the gear indication - surely not part of the same problem? Unless of course, it's where the feeds go in to the panels where the problem is. I had better look there as well!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
twisty

Post by twisty »

Thes same thing happens on benelli 1130's if they are washed using a pressure washer. The dash goes blank , no speedo or as you say doing 90mph when only doing 30 . After a day or two of drying out everything is fine. Didn't realise that the speedo sensors were so sensitive (or badly made) until it happened after a pressure wash (and i was taking care not to blast at a high pressure or too close to the bike) First time it happened to me i thought i'd accidentally blasted the instruments with water , but being an italian bike i always keep clear of the clocks when washing.

Maybe the sensors are only made for the med climate of sun sea and sangria.
günni

Post by günni »

corsaro chris wrote: What surprises me is that I've also lost the gear indication - surely not part of the same problem? CC

hi chris,
that`s normal. the ecu calculates the gear indication with engine speed(rpm) and speed (velocity).
if one of them is missing or implausible => no calculation or error

günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
tassymorini

Re: Sensor woes can be a head ache

Post by tassymorini »

Hi guys im new here, i too have such woes , i just clocked 10,000 km on my beloved avio then things went bad ,im a mechanic on the nw coast of tasmania buy the way . it all started with a faulty speed sensor ,the sensor short circuited then the coolant temp showed a fault the the thermatic fans came on the dash showed 30 degrees c so what gives ? Then the idle stayed at 2000 rpm and today in the middle of town she dumped $70 worthe of oil in traffic! Why? This is my theory : the speed sensor is connected to the temp sensor (confirmed) the ecu is fooled by incorrect temp reading so the ecu thinks the engine is cold so excess fuel is needed to lift rpm and get to operating temp causing the cylinder to be washed with fuel past the rings causing the oil level to rise , i only came to that conclusion when i checked indervidual cylinder temp with an infared thermometer and noticed the rear pot was over 100 degreesc c cooler than the front, has any one else had a similar issue?
Cheers
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

<FX>Looks at recently acquired Corsaro</FX>

Am I going to regret this? I had hoped that Italian Electrical Gremlins were a thing of the past. :(
tassymorini

Post by tassymorini »

Hi 72 degrees dont fret chassis breaks and grunt make up for it , dont get me wrong i aint happy but i love the thing and im hoping a reflash with sort it and ecus are readily available from many italian bikes marelli iaw5am be sure that ecu connector seals are fine as mine was broken from the factory and filled up with water,replace all hose clamps with a screw type ,make sure the the coolant hose from the t‘stat housing to the real cylinder isnt rubbing on the air box and read up on can bus. happy hunting
tassymorini

Post by tassymorini »

Sorry mate meant “brakes not breaks lol
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I thought I might get out on it soon on a decent day with dry roads, but it looks as if I'm going to have plenty of time checking things over on it in the garage before that happens in the spring some time.

Got to shim the valves and tension the cam chain on the YZ450F first though. It's a good job I'm retired.
tassymorini

Post by tassymorini »

Aah the 450 f time bomb keep the maintenance up on her mate she doesnt like to be forgotten about
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

tassymorini wrote:Aah the 450 f time bomb keep the maintenance up on her mate she doesnt like to be forgotten about
Heh - she's already jealous of the KTM 350SXF ;)