concerns about 1200 engine (experiences and opinions needed)

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Vendigrothian

concerns about 1200 engine (experiences and opinions needed)

Post by Vendigrothian »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I ask the questions which already have been asked before (and I was a gawk to miss them in the existing threads).
Anyhow, I have been dreaming and drooling about the 1200 Corsaro model since I first read an article about it in 2006. Yet I was unable to afford one, having to settle for cheaper, less passionate japaneese machines up to until now. However, before going shopping I’ve got my hands on the 1200 Corsaro workshop manual to sneak peek into what the dreams are made of and was both surprised and concerned about some of the F.L. design solutions. With all respect to the master designer I would like to highlight some areas of my greatest concern and ask about your experience with it. So here goes:

1. It appears to me that the crankshaft is made out of two sides with a separate pin joined (pressed?) together. The connecting rods are integral, without the bolted big end caps and; therefore, are permanently fixed on the crankshaft pin together with the big end bearings. In the event of lubrication hole misalignment or relative pin rotation (it is a high-torque motor) there is a risk of the big end bearing oil starvation and failure. Have anyone of you had any problems with the crankshaft or perhaps had to replace one? The important question would be: how much would the crankshaft assembly cost? And even more important question: where to get one?

2. The crankshaft assembly design implements another unorthodox solution where during the motor assembly/disassembly the cylinder sleeve has to be removed so the piston pin could be removed thru the side of the crankcase. Removable cylinder sleeves pose additional risk of piston/cylinder misalignment resulting in greater wear of the parts. Worse still if overheated an irreversible warping could occur if the crankcase and sleeves are made from different materials (anyone who had a Saab 9-5 3.0tid should know). Could anyone please tell me if the crankcase is aluminium with the steel sleeves? Your comments and experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

3. Timing mechanism. Although without quirks (except the need to use the special dial indicator in order to find the TDC position of the piston) the question remains where to get the replacement parts which I believe are unique for the MM motors. Service manual recommends valve clearance checks (adjustable with replaceable shims) every 20K kms and timing chain replacement (together with tensioners and sprockets) every 40K kms. Most of the used machines for sale have done 20-30K km suggesting that the timing mechanism has not been serviced yet, but perhaps someone of you have went through it and could share the experience.

I might be too paranoid so, to sum it all up, most of all I would like to know about the long term (going 60K kms and beyond) mechanical reliability and the availability of spare parts (MM seems to be back in business; however, their dealer network seems to be even more elusive than before and completely non-existent in my neck of the woods).

Are there amateur or professional mechanics among you which prefer to work on their motorcycles themselves and could share the joys (which I hope are many) and the pains of keeping these magnificent machines on the road? Your time and comments, as well as those of people servicing their bikes elsewhere, would be most appreciated.

Please prove my paranoid fears wrong :roll:
franco82

Re: concerns about 1200 engine (experiences and opinions nee

Post by franco82 »

Hi,
first of all welcome here. You are really kind of paranoic, but I understand you. It is good to be prepared. :mrgreen:

Corsaro is not common bike on the road and typical user is not long distance runner and tourer. Therefore there are not strong numbers of 50kkm+ bikes, but it does not mean it should be something to worry about. As I collected info through the years from Corsaro drivers and one well known and experienced serviceman (ducati+morini only), the FMV12 is really durable engine with great design. There are some issues of course, but that is the same for others, even japanese.

If you are buying new one, you are quite safe with warranty. In case of used bike, there are way more important things to care instead of engine design and construction. There is no difference between great bike with bad maintenance and faulty bike with good care. If corsaro have the proper care (oil, no cold limiter reving..) and you dont have bad luck, it will be running perfectly after 100kkm.

Regarding the service you are right. It is not Honda, so you dont have dealer in every village. In really bad scenario you can have failure, the spare part is not on stock by dealer, you have to get it from factory, factory can have holiday during the summer and you can end up with disassembled bike for months waiting for spare part. But it is really the bad scenario.

Just get stock of the oil filters, shims are same as KTM or HD. Distribution assembly is stated to replace after 45kkm for my MY2012 Corsaro.

Good luck then :D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

The Corsaro is raced in Italy in Roadster cup racing and wins. Any crankshaft problems would have been seen by now. The engine was designed by a brilliant engineer.

I only ever have small niggles with my 2006 Corsaro - (touching wood as he writes)

Rear wheel speedo sensor just bought another at about £60
Rusty screws in ignition switch cover replace with stainless £1
Oil cooler banjo bolt washers eaten by salt to be replaced. £2
Indicator bulb rust inside indicator means I need to clean it up
Headlight relays replaced with new ones from a reputable electrical seller. £10
Strater relay fuse rusted replaced fuse and cleaned / protected area £0.25

The engine is strong. I am going to service it this winter but do not expect any problems. In fact servicing looks straightforward and the tank even tilts to get access to the various parts.

One other problem is that the bike does not like road salt, I think the problems with the screws, fuse, indicator, washers have been caused by winter conditions. The headlight relays were not sealed type as standard. Always wash it after a run in the winter but the bike does shine up pretty well.

I am on the 2nd set of tyres, which have plenty of life, and the original chain and sprockets at 15kkms.

I have ridden mine to France and Belgium, commuted on it and think nothing of a 400 mile day if necessary.

Mike.
Vendigrothian

Post by Vendigrothian »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your informative and reassuring replies. I am glad to hear that your machines have not let you down.

It seems to me that your bikes are in pretty good nick with known service histories and relatively low kms. I assume both of you are from UK?

The sort of bike I would be most likely to buy is 2006-2008 corsaro from Italy with 20-30kms on the clock. I have noticed that the prices for such bikes have fallen recently and it is possible to find examples costing around 5K euros a pop. The sudden fall in prices is another reason for my concern as people usually don't want to give away good things for cheap. Have any of you had any experience with used imports from Italy?

I reside in Lithuania myself and during the riding season usually clock close to 10K km just riding around. I do not own many bikes at the same time nor do I like to change them frequently so naturally I want something I would be able to maintain without turning it into a flashy garage decoration.

My biggest issue is still the availability of spare parts. The closest available dealer according to MM website is in Czech Republic which is almost 1000 miles away. Are there any dealers that you know of which would have catalogues with possibility to order parts online?

Franco82, could you please elaborate on where do you get your oil filters from?

MIke, I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experience with winter's service on this forum once done.

I pray everyone else on this forum who have something to add to this topic to share their experiences and opinions.

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Valdas
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Valdas,

Germany is a big market for Morini, there must be a few dealers there who can assist.

I will report back, but first I have two rebuilds to complete... :)

regards,

Mike.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:Hi Valdas,

Germany is a big market for Morini, there must be a few dealers there who can assist.

I will report back, but first I have two rebuilds to complete... :)

regards,

Mike.
How far 'oop north are you? It's not yours for sale on Ebay is it?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

No, mine is defo not for sale. I need to have the fix of instant acceleration from 40 to, er 70 in a few seconds every now and again... the 501 does not provide quite the same urgency......
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

OK. Not that I'm tempted or anything. Get thee behind me...
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Vendigrothian I am from Czech Republic and I have the bike for one year. It was brand new from factory shipped to dealer in Czech Republic. So far I had all service done by dealer and it will be the same next year to maintain warranty. For next years I will do common things myself (oil, filters, brakes, fluids...) and return back to dealer only for major service tasks (distribution assembly).
For oil filters and other parts ebay (especially ebay.it) is the right place to go. For special parts you could contact moto morini for sending you the spares to preffered dealer. When I was buying my Corsaro no authorized dealer was present here and MM were willing to send the bike to any decent dealer I select. So even if there is no dealer listed for your country on MM website, you can always give it a try. Write them on factory@motomorinimotorcycles.eu if they ever collaborated with anyone in Lithuania (or Russia close to borders).

If you are to buy used corsaro be very aware! First corsaros had few issues and MM provided repair kit for affected ones. There were for example new clutch covers with sealings, regulator connector fix, hoses clamps, ECU firmware flash and few others. The regulator connector was banal problem, which could led to fatal failure (when the cable short circuited during ride in a turn, engine stalls instantly and you are screwed). Other big issue was that some early engines had wrongly pressured ventile beads. All of these problems were repaired, changed prevently in a warranty. But when tbe bike did not get the right maintenance and no service from dealer who asked for repair kit, then no issues were fixed.

Regarding imported bike from Italy, it is always a risk. When the bike cross the border, it usually lost half of mileage :evil: .

BTW I just found regulator connector meltdown when removing battery for winter, so I will have to visit a dealer for this too. :roll: But this is nothing specific to Corsaro or italian bikes, this affects every mynufacturer I think.

Just dont get scared, it is not that bad it may look, just be cautious and prepared...
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

The regulator issue is common to a lot of bikes and is caused by poor connections causing a high resistance at the regulator/rectifier which result in them burning out under load.
A simple fix is to remove the connectors from the block and hard wire (solder) them together, heat shrinking all the cables in the process. This is a permanent fix and better than the factory solution.

Downside is if the reg/rec ever fails then it needs to be cut and shut again, but it's no biggie for peace of mind.
I did this mod to mine soon after getting it and also moved the reg/rec to the underside of the bike to assist with cooling as per the below guide.

For those who will be along to tell me that you should never use soldered joints on a vehicle :roll: , you pays yer money etc. and in this instance it is a good way to ensure minimum resistance at the joints.

http://www.1200bandit.de/Moto_Morini_Co ... rumbau.htm
Dave H

Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT :)
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :lol:
Beta RR300 :mrgreen:
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Dave I totally agree with you, soldering and good isolation is good solution. However good connector is way better than poor soldering, this is the reason why automotive industry uses them. But if you do it right, it is permanent and safe solution.

Cooling of regulator was solved in later model years of corsaro when regulator was moved under the tail piece (as you did :wink: )
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

Just FYI, there's a 2012 model for sale in France: http://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/578092115.htm?ca=12_s
nicko

Post by nicko »

and also closer to home, depending upon where home is of course..

http://www.motocorsa.co.uk/bikes/index. ... B73ERNVVHL
jvhy

Post by jvhy »

Hi!

There's four Corsaros and one Avio for sale on Finland:

http://www.nettimoto.com/en/moto-morini ... ub_type=19

I think those are just quite expensive if compared to bikes in sale in Germany or so...(We have lots of taxes in bike prices..)

There should be sales/service company for Moto Morini in St Petersburg, Russia

motostoryclub.ru

By the way...My 2006 Corsaro have run about 40k km now. So there should be some maintenance to be done. Or I'll let it stay in garage for awhile and ride with my second bike (cafeed Speed Triple).

-Janne
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

My old bike at Moto Corsa - and it still looks tidy!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"