Setup and diagnostics, battery and oil filter

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Setup and diagnostics, battery and oil filter

Post by 72degrees »

Too cold for me to actually ride the Corsaro I bought last week so I thought I would explore the 'menu', particularly as it was showing the wrong time.

Hmm. The little tit seems very reluctant to make anything actually happen (I know the theory as I have access to a manual). No wonder there is a crack in the clock face - somebody prodding it extra hard to try to get some response is my guess. It's almost - well is exactly - as if it sticks. On one occasion I got setup up and tried time it just went straight from hours to minutes to exit and back to setup before I could change anything.

Thinking it might be pining for the warmth of Italy (it was only about 5 C in the garage) I very gently warmed up the instrument panel with SWMBO's hair dryer. That got a bit better reaction. Then I noticed the rubber pimple was sort of stuck in. A very light touch of silicone spray and repeated dabs got that looking better. It then did at least start to cooperate but it was still a bit hit and miss. I did, however, eventually get the time correctly set. Whoever rode it had clocked a more impressive top speed than I ever will I suspect. So is this another 'feature' or will repeated use encourage it to perform properly.

Got to the battery eventually. A bit of a fag after the ease of just popping the seat off the Shiver but far better than the Voxan which lived down low and required the rear mudguard liner to be removed. Not clever seeing as being so close to the exhaust system the gel batteries regularly cooked and failed. I think I'm going to have to rig up a battery tender connection. Any quick cheat for this other than hooking up direct to the battery terminals?

At least it started OK.

Do the current service agents actually stock oil filters? I found a UK Amazon seller claiming to have the UFI item, but when ordered they said it was discontinued and they had none. I'm trying a German supplier advertising on Ebay, more in hope than expectation.
günni

Re: Setup and diagnostics, battery and oil filter

Post by günni »

72degrees wrote: I'm trying a German supplier advertising on Ebay, more in hope than expectation.
hi,
you could try to contact wolfgang tritsch (http://www.w-tritsch.de/) wolfgang is specialized in shipping morini-parts all over the world.
but what about NLM? they can not help?

günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

72degrees wrote: ........ I think I'm going to have to rig up a battery tender connection. Any quick cheat for this other than hooking up direct to the battery terminals?
There already is a battery accessory connection under the buddyseat, so you only need to adapt the connector of your charger....

The red arrow points at the obd connector, the one on the right (without cap) is the battery connection.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Thanks. I obviously haven't read the manual properly! NLM don't seem to be mentioning the new generation Morinis much on their web site lately. I tend to order parts on-line if I can. This works well for my Yamaha and KTM. Just lazy I guess, as NLM or even Sheffords are too far away to pop in. Though to be fair I could make a pleasant route taking in Worcester. I'll just feel happier with an oil filter in stock.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi
Oil filters have been in short supply must be why they are so expensive. You can get them if you want to pay, Ebay.it, Ebay.de. Also some German motorcycle ITAL sites have them. None on Ebay at the moment. If I remember correctly Tricky on the forum bought a load.

cheers
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Chips1953 wrote:Hi
Oil filters have been in short supply must be why they are so expensive. You can get them if you want to pay, Ebay.it, Ebay.de. Also some German motorcycle ITAL sites have them. None on Ebay at the moment. If I remember correctly Tricky on the forum bought a load.

cheers
Well there's supposed to be one on its way to me from Germany via Ebay. I thought KTM ones were pricey enough, though to be fair they need changing more often. It seems a bit odd to use a unique filter but I suppose the design of the engine dictated it.

I've also got an AMP 'superseal' connector to get my battery optimiser hooked up quickly.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi, Best bet is to just ring NLM for the oil filter, paid over the phone and it arrived the next day. Cant remember the exact price but im sure it was cheaper than the ebays ones. Genuine OEM one too.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Greg wrote:Hi, Best bet is to just ring NLM for the oil filter, paid over the phone and it arrived the next day. Cant remember the exact price but im sure it was cheaper than the ebays ones. Genuine OEM one too.
Fair enough.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

With the NLM ones you need to buy the 2 x o-rings separately, too. The factory ones come with them in the kit.

I have connected a standard cigarette lighter accessory socket to the battery and fixed it to the fairing mounting in board of the indicator. I use this to charge the battery.

The instrument console is interesting. After removal it just separates with no fixings. My 'tit' had become dislocated. The tit operates the microswitch. All sorted now, although not the most robust of things with heavy gloves. I had 200 showing on the top speed indicator as I had managed that speed in kms, was a great talking point until I took the instrument console apart. You can also hide a lot of the read outs.

Mike.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Well I'll see what arrives form Germany. K&N replacements for the KTM or YZ450F come with new O-rings.

I guessed the must be some kind of momentary contact switch under the tit. If it plays up again I'll have a look at the location. Now the clock is correct I can't see me messing with it much unless needing to go in to diagnostic mode. I'm used to keeping track of miles since fill up on the Wee Vee by memorising the last three odometer digits anyway. From what Corsaro Chris was telling me it possibly won't have that much greater range on a full tank. As you know, my 375 runs rather rich at some throttle openings. I'll sort it one day.
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

I moved the "tit"to the left controls....

tit naked:

extra wires to switch:

extra switch:
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Cunning!
roofus

Post by roofus »

top job
do you do a ride in ride out service ?