Cam Chain Help

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Greg

Cam Chain Help

Post by Greg »

Hello, im struggling at the minute with a cam chain noise from the engine, its getting really bad. Ive had the tensioner out, only looks to be 4mm of movement left until fully extended. Clicked it up 2mm manually, then put it back in. The noise was quieter to start but starts to rattle again when the oil gets warm. The bike has done 10,000 miles. I think i might as well change the Cam Chain and Tensioners just to be on the safe side, has anyone done this, I'm struggling to find a Cam Chain as nobody seems to know which one to use, also i would much prefer a manual CCT in future, so any infomation on anyone who makes these would be great.

Thanks Greg.
corsaro chris

Re: Cam Chain Help

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Greg;

A few issues back (326, October 2013) ATG ran an article from Stuart at NLM which noted that a well used Corsaro with 40,000 miles broke a cam chain. The factory now uses an uprated version and has offered an upgrade kit for sale for owners of older models.

Stuart noted that machines that are used by very fast and competent riders also may have their coolant spat out; this has also been addressed - the cure being in the fitting methodology of head gaskets. I'd suggest that you speak to Stuart - and remember that Morini Club members get a discount!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks very much for the advice, this sounds correct as I also suffer with coolant being spat all over when i'm riding. Although I wouldn't say im an excessively fast rider, no track days either. Anyway, Its booked in now on the 1st of May for the front cylinder taking off and everything checked out. Ill post the findings when its done in case anyone else ever has the same issue.
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

It is not a small job, but not very difficult. I had a broken exhaust valve after 55.000 kms, never had any problem before that, apart from torn oil lead to the oil-cooler. My chain was almost "as new" and would have easily lasted my goal 0f 80k before changing them, alas...
The only problem I encountered was the removal of the flywheel, you need a proper puller, a lot of heat, patience and brute force :wink:
The puller is a Buzzetti, Art. 5343, for KAWASAKI KLX - KSF, SUZUKI DR – BURGMAN, Aprilia, M38x1,5
For the clutch see this post by twisty: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2793

On my google drive I have all updates for the MoMo on my google drive, have a look at document 316 (although in german, the pictures are clear)
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B4e_ ... S1QcWRVVlU

The (narrow) chain is a did, SCR0412SV, 120 links. The new, wider chains are no longer available at Morini.... but maybe they have new stock. To be complete it is the SCH-0412