Corsaro chain adjustment.

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Corsaro chain adjustment.

Post by 72degrees »

I'm off on a weekend to France over the weekend so I thought I better tweak the chain on the Corsaro. First problem - the 28mm nut on the spindle was tight as a very tight thing. I suspect it had been done up with a 'rattle gun' never mind the recommended 130 Nm. Took a socket and breaker bar to free it.

Next problem. The spindle runs through nice marked slider things. The YZ450F and KTM350SXF have a similar arrangement, except that the fixed point on the swing arm to reference them is obvious. A groove on the Yamaha and machined semi-circles on the KTM. Couldn't see the whotsits on the Morini though I know my eyes are dim these days. The manual doesn't help much - " In order to ensure the perfect wheel alignment, make sure that the position marks, placed on both sides of the swingarm, match the slide bushes (3)." No clue as to exactly where the marks are in the illustration. Had to rely on counting flats on the adjusters.
corsaro chris

Re: Corsaro chain adjustment.

Post by corsaro chris »

Not good!

Just looked at the swing arm on mine; on one side there is a notch - but not on the other side! The Gran Passo has a nice set of marks that you can match up, but nothing similar on the Corsaro, even though the manual refers to them! I guess that adjustment is done by measurement of the plate against the ends of the swing arm (after checking that the distances are the same from the wheel spindles)? Next time I'm around at 3X or where-ever (I need a spare bulb for the 'Passo before travelling down to Italy) I'll remember to ask!

How goes the Corsaro - is it as much fun as you had hoped?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I used to use the measure from the end of the swing arm slot on other machines that had no "slide bushes" but the modern MX bikes have spoilt me. Now, what you really want is snail cam adjusters as Matchless used 60 years ago!

It is indeed great fun. Palmer adjustable screen fitted. The Ventura rack arrived from NZ a few days ago and after a bit of head scratching caused by the GPR silencer mounting system it did fit on OK. I have a pre-loved Ventura Aero Spada pack to go on it. A Bagster universal harness works well with my trusty Tecra tank bag. I shall be packing them both with more stuff than I really need for three nights away this weekend as a trial run for the Italian Job.
nicko

Post by nicko »

I seem to recall that the 'notches' are inside the recess along the top edge. Nicely shadowed so that they are tricky to see. That reminds me, I need to adjust my chain also. Guess that's a job for the weekend.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Sounds logical. I shall have another look armed with a very strong torch and my reading glasses.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

72degrees wrote:I'm off on a weekend to France over the weekend......
Good idea having a weekend away at the weekend...

I measure my gaps with a steel rule. Must look for the marks on the swinging arm.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
72degrees wrote:I'm off on a weekend to France over the weekend......
Good idea having a weekend away at the weekend...

I measure my gaps with a steel rule. Must look for the marks on the swinging arm.
Well strictly speaking, being a bank holiday, and as I'm leaving on Thursday it's not just a weekend ;)

I have a cheap vernier caliper thingy I use on the 2C/375. Precision eh?

The eccentric (how apt) do-dah system on the single sided swing arm of the Gilera GFR125 works well - so long as you keep it all lubricated properly and have a suitable tommy bar or alternative handy.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Yamaha use(d) snail cams on their trail bikes. It is, of course, easy to set them correctly but it depends on the precision of the swinging arm. if that is bent then the wheel is not aligned. I presume modern manufacturing techniques mean that the swinging arms on the new Morinis are straight? Anybody used a laser to get the chain straight? Or is that too anal?