Speedo sensor

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Speedo sensor

Post by 72degrees »

I'm on my way to France on the Corssro in biblical rain and the ECU warning light came on. Diagnostics say vehicle speed. Sure enough the speed is AWOL. Rain in the sensor or could I have disturbed the connection under the seat while fitting the Ventura rack brackets?
Chips1953

Re: Speedo sensor

Post by Chips1953 »

72degrees wrote:I'm on my way to France on the Corssro in biblical rain and the ECU warning light came on. Diagnostics say vehicle speed. Sure enough the speed is AWOL. Rain in the sensor or could I have disturbed the connection under the seat while fitting the Ventura rack brackets?
There are lots of us who have had this problem. It is well described in many posts.
For me the answer was to re route the cable to the sensor, clean the sensor and check the gap.
It happened during a downpour and was a constant problem until I did the above. Since then no problem. I think several were replaced under warranty.
Good hunting.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Moi aussi. New sensor £65.

Water is the problem. Move to Italy!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Aha! The cable was trapped between the caliper mounting plate and doing arm. The insulation was chafed through. Freeing it and re-routing had it working intermittently for a while so a dissection once home will be performed. With luck a new sensor won't be required
- yet.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

That;s what happened to mine. The 'doing' arm chafed mine. But, I think it pulled the wire from the sensor which is where the wet stuff got in.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Predictive text! Looks a bit strained at the sensor end. As the Corsaro is so grunty, on the open road you can just leave it in top and watch the tacho.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The speedo started working again after about 20 miles this morning and then continued to function all the way home. So I might just tape up the cable, give it all a good spray with 'duck oil' or similar and not mess about with it until after Italy.

I'm glad to report that the Corsrao seat seems more comfortable than the Shiver and the riding position must suit me better as not so much hip or knee seizing up. Coped with a 'virages' and 'route glissante' D road with aplomb (luckily it was dry) and also ate up miles efficiently on the autoroute (the little I did). The effortless grunt is a joy. The Dunlop Qualifiers seem OK but judging by the wear about 750 miles has added I best put new tyres on before the Italian Job.

The Palmer adjustable screen worked a treat, particularly on the M40 on the way home when I extensively checked the top gear rpm calibration against speed. Fuel consumption wasn't as high as I expected, so the range is no worse then I'm used to (Beaconsfield to home - 116 miles and not a flicker from the low fuel light, despite making progress).

Looking a bit the worse for wear now courtesy of many splattered flies. Plus I got over confident in my ability to manoeuvre it at low speed and clumsily dropped it at 0 mph on full lock trying to turn it round on the ferry this afternoon. Is the alloy of the rear brake lever up to re-bending cold OK or best not risk it until after Morano (I hardly ever use the back brake anyway).
Arjula

Post by Arjula »

My Corsaro have also problem with speedo sensor. On the dasboard it shows sometimes almost 400km/h. I showed it to some my friend that how fast I was driven. :D
I called local importer service and they said that speedo sensor was changed to few bikes on warranty.
I cannot put it on warranty, because warranty is not valid any more. (Year 2007).
I tried to adjust the distance and clean it. It doesn't help. So I think that I buy new speed sensor.
whitmore3150

Post by whitmore3150 »

Hi all.. my corsaro speedo sensor stopped working , culminating in engine management light staying on no gear indicator showing . Found that my local ducati dealer stocked a sensor that is exactly the same.. cant find part number from ducati. But its there standard sensor
morini_tom

Speedo sensor -Test method

Post by morini_tom »

I had the dreaded failed speedo sensor at the weekend having changed the rear brake pads and also cleaned the bike, so wasn't sure if it was water ingress or disturbed sensor.

I found a neat way to check the sensor output and get mine working again which hopefully will help some of you with the same issue.

If you trace the wire from the sensor up the swingarm and frame, you will find it's connector, a 3 pin AMP Supaseal, is hidden underneath the triangular infill panel on the right hand side of the frame (on a Corsaro at least):

I made a simple loom up so that I could measure the voltages on the 3 wires without interfering with the bike's wiring loom or compromising the waterproof seals in the connector. The loom is just a link loom between the pins on the male and female connectors, with an extra wire spliced in to each wire so that the voltage can be measured. The AMP Supaseal connector pins are numbered 1 to 3 on the plastic connectors. I used red for +12V (pin 1), green for signal (pin 2), and black for -12V (pin 3)

I used AMP supaseal pins but didn't have a pair of 3 pin connectors, so insulated each pin to avoid short circuits. I'll buy a pair of connectors so that the loom is an easy and safe 'plug and play'. I used bullet connectors on my spliced wires which fit directly into my multimeter input, for handsfree measuring. And wires long enough to hang the multimeter on the rear pillion peg while working on the wheel speed sensor:

With the link loom connected, proceed as follows:

With the ignition switched on, you should read battery voltage (12-13V across your spliced pins 1 and 3). If you don't then you are not feeding the wheel speed sensor any voltage, so the problem lies somewhere else in the loom, maybe a fuse or maybe the speedo/rev counter unit or ECU itself (this wasn't the problem with mine so I didn't persue this fault path)

Next, connect the spliced pins 1 and 2 to your multimeter. You should see ~10V when the disc bolts are not in proximity of the wheel speed sensor, and as you rotate the rear wheel the voltage will step to battery voltage (~12-13V) as the bolt passes wheel speed sensor.

If you get ~10V the whole time then your wheel speed sensor is not seeing the bolts. Rotate the wheel until a bolt is in line with the speed sensor. You can then try the methods already discussed on the forum (electrical cleaner sprayed on the connector pins and down the speed sensor rubber boot, clean disc bolts, shim speed sensor, investigate cable routing), and when you see 12-13V on your multimeter you know you've found the issue.

I reckon it took me less time to make the loom, work out how to test it and fix the issue than it would have taken to put my bike gear on and go for a ride to check it.

It'll also be a really useful way of testing it in the garage when shiming the sensor after a wheel change etc.

I've put a video of the process at the below link:

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/photo ... _check.MOV

I really hope this helps people!
Tom
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine 'failed' as the rubber boot was not sealing. Probably due to stretch. The speedo was very intermittent and worked ok when dried out. I still have it and will look to sealing it as a spare. Stopped working again after washing the bike with a sponge and then again in rain.

New one working perfectly.... better get the old one sealed.... :)
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Useful stuff Morini Tom.
The sockets are available on Ebay from Autostar. I got a 10 pack from China for SFA.

BTW. Is that the washing machine in the background? Best place for repairs I say.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
nicko

Post by nicko »

Somewhat frustrating but my speedo on Monday indicated 202MPH and then last night refused to register anything at all - 0MPH which then results in engine management light. I guess that my super-senses managed to judge the 40MPH speed limit as the police car I passed didn't follow.....
Anyway I replaced the speedo sensor on my 2006 Corsaro early 2013, but to have one go on a 2013 Corsaro.....and it hasn't been overly soaked recently.
Why aren't they fully sealed and is there a way to seal them, potentially some heat-shrink?
X1er

Post by X1er »

Initially I posted the below question in my first post on the forum under the following title:

New Owner – Stator connection, speed sensor, oil filters by by X1er 21 Oct 2014 23:00

I’m located in Australia, where Moto Morinis, especially modern ones are almost non-existent.

I have a 2008 Corsaro Avio.

Speedo sensor – It’s been confirmed that it is dead having already checked the fuse, connections, cleaned up the sensor and tested it.

I’ve read that some Ducatis use the same sensor. I have a Ducati dealer near me, but they’ve never sold a speedo sensor and don’t have any used Ducatis I can compare my sensor to!

So can anyone let me know the part number I need? Alternatively what Ducati model/s and which years use the same sensor.

Thanks
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

The speedo sensor is made by Mae in Italy they also make the clocks for Morini they are usually quite aproachable. But i think i would just order a new one from the factory if there is no support local to you.