New Owner - Stator connection, speed sensor, Oil filters

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
X1er

New Owner - Stator connection, speed sensor, Oil filters

Post by X1er »

Hi All

Very new to Moto Morini. Just purchased a 2008 Corsaro Avio.

I’m located in Australia, where Moto Morinis are rare, Corsaro’s rarer and parts for the Corsaro are almost non-existent.

Someone I worked with mentioned to me a on a few occasions that a relative of his had a Morini that was just sitting there doing nothing. I already have two other bikes but curiosity got the better of me.

The previous owner, who was the first owner wanted to trade it in on a new bike but the bike shop didn’t want it as a trade. So he then just stopped riding it after he bought another bike.

Approximately 20,000km with a major service done in December 2011 and not ridden much since 2012.

Apart from not being ridden for 18 months it seems to be in really good condition. It’s been stored undercover and we’re inland in a dry climate. The bike shop where he had it serviced confirmed that all the regular servicing had been done and what they did at the last service which involved changing all the fluids including the fork oil and checking/adjusting the valve clearances.

The previous owner wasn’t interested in getting it up and running in order to sell it for a reasonable price so I made a very low offer as I was prepared to purchase as is without even starting it. I felt OK doing this as the high risk was offset by the very low price paid.

Naturally the battery is completely flat, so I’ve replaced it.

I have also found and downloaded a PDF version of the service manual.

The issues that I know of are:

1. Stator wire connector (3 yellow wires) just above the battery has started to melt I’m guessing due to a poor connection, being a former owner of 2007 Tuono I’ve seen worse. I am planning to cut and solder the wires.

2. Speedo sensor – The bike shop that had been servicing the bike confirmed that it is dead as they’d already checked the fuse, connections, cleaned up the sensor and tested it. I’ve read that some Ducatis use the same sensor. I have a Ducati dealer near me, but they’ve never sold a speed sensor and don’t have any used Ducatis I can compare my sensor to! So can anyone let me know the part number I need? Alternatively what Ducati model/s and which years use the same sensor.

3. Oil filters – I’ve only found one website of a company in Australia that stocks them. Can anyone in Australia let me know how and from whom you purchase your oil filters as I ‘d like to buy a decent supply in one transaction. Source can be Australian or overseas based.

Any other Corsaro riders close to Canberra?

I’ll update this post once I have managed fix the wiring and get it running.

Cheers
franco82

Re: New Owner - Stator connection, speed sensor, Oil filters

Post by franco82 »

Hi,
congratulations on your bargain :D .

Just a quick response to your points:

1, Go ahead and solder it or replace the connector with better one. I solved this issue on my bike with stamped connectors in sealed capsule...
2, Ask here
3, Ebay is the option or do a search for UFI 25.608.00 filter. I am able to get it from many car dealers/services as they are using ELIT supply chain and have this filter in their catalogue. But this is how it works in Czech Republic, no idea about situation in Australia. Other option is to ask factory (FACTORY@motomorinimotorcycles.eu ) directly for suggestion. Maybe they have experience from the past and supplied some service with parts.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I fitted new wiring loom to my 2006 Corsaro and have soldered the Stator wires as the connector blocks were turning brown. Did not want a high resistance as the reg gets hot anyway.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
X1er

Post by X1er »

Update

Fixed a few minor things whilst giving the bike a good clean.

I put the new battery in and it started with no issues! I only ran it for a few minutes as the stator/regulator wires still to be soldered.

Emailed the factory (a few times) but never heard back.

I have located an overseas supplier for the oil filters and speed sensor, but are holding off ordering them until I've had the bike running for a while to see if there's anything else I'll need.

Cosmetically the bikes good except for:
- one bent riders foot peg, and
- cracked/broken front mudguard. A piece has broken off on one side at the lower front leading edge in front of the two mounting points. It was nearly cracked all the way throughout and when I examined it, it broke off. The guard is still structurally sound and I could just trim it up with a dremmel and then do the same on the other (good) side and it will look symmetrical and OK.

As I've had no response from the factory to my previous enquiry does anyone know how much a replacement front mudguard (2008 model, colour is silver) and peg would be and where they could bought from (new or second hand). If they're extremely expensive as I'm guessing they might be then this would be good to know now as I will trim up the existing front guard and attempt to heat and straight the peg myself.

Cheers
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Broken mudguard is a typical issue as I saw on 2 of 4 bikes. Try e-bay, or replace it with carbon version http://www.carbon.sk/en/moto-morini-corsaro. 8) If this is too expensive solution, weld the mudguard and paint it again...

Footpeg is ideal to replace with aftermarket rizoma or barracuda or even oem from ebay again.