Corsaro or Veloce

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Ian

First I’m in Torquay Victoria (right at the start of the great ocean road) and and it is very hot at this time (just back from the beach, sorry to the rest in cold weather) your right about the shipments as I was told the same thing just before Xmas, I was also told that a price rise may take place on the Veloce’s as they were to cheap??

The Veloce is the way to go as far as value, but I like the red sliver colour mix and I can’t get it with the Veloce extras..

Have you ridden one yet as the heat coming off the fans was quiet hot in traffic. Sander’s right about the 2008 models and Öhlins is standard and the radial mount calipers can be ordered for the Veloce at the time of sale.. I glance at the Cycle Torque write up as well, any feed back from the guy would be good as he sounded very happy with the bike.

What am I going to buy, well I’m not sure as yet, the Multistada 1100s still has my attention and I’m taking one for a ride on Monday 05-01-08. As an all-round bike I think they are a very very good (but F***ing ugly) bike, does all thinks good, on the other hand the MM is much quicker and has all things standard (pipes seat bars) that the Ducati is all plus plus money…and having had three Ducati’s in a row a change may be nice as well.

I was confused, but now I just don’t know anymore……

Trevor
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Trevor,
I think the price of the Veloce is as high as it should be. The price of the Corsaro is $22,000 plus on roads. That price is about 9800 British pounds, which is higher that what Chris mentioned earlier. If the price of the veloce is going to be higher than it is now at $24,000 then I will have serious second thoughts. These are naked bikes and we are not paying for expensive fairings and bracketry etc. If you added the price of a 1098/859 fairing the price is already over what you pay for either of those very good bikes. Also the Ducati dealership network is much larger than MM. Also the exchange rate versus price is a contentious issue in the bike press and I can't see the exchange rate as an excuse to raise the price.
The fan info is appreciated but sounds a bit like the 916. Traffic isn't too much of an issue for me as I live in Bargara on the coast outside Bundaberg ( Rum country ) and most of our riding is country ( all year round.. and my sympathies to our fellow European riders.)
On the subject of radial mount calipers, I would only be interested for the reason of resale later. The performance is not an issue.
I considered the 1100 Multistrada but was told by a Ducati mechnic that there is a bit more vibration from the engine and as you said they are dead in the water with looks. Also looked hard at the BMW R1200R but I haven't worn out my old 77 R100RS and whilst you can own any number of Italian bikes, 2 BMW's is a bit hard.
I am still waiting to get Chris Pickett's contact and will let you know any further info. Regards,
Ian
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Ian

I took the Mult 1100S for a ride yesterday; the bike had done about 8500 Ks so it was freed up. Handling wise it was a very good with the Ohlins front and back (it was set a bit hard for me but ok) the motor had no real vibrations as was the case when I tested a new standard Mult 1100 (not a S) one with 200 Ks on the clock, apparently the 1100 motors free up after about 4 or 5000 Ks. This was the case with the 1000 too, Power wise the M.M. kills it hands down.

I think it gets down to what sort of riding I will do over the next few years. Short blasts for the day, a few over night stays here and their (M. M.)

If I want something with a bit more wind protection, can carry more gear but has a lot less power, looks unattractive from the front, pay another $2000 or 3000 on top for pipes & chip, hugger and a better seat so I can ride it for the longer trips then the Mult 1100S.

Trevor

PS the bike had a D.P. gel seat fitted and was still very hard,,,
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Trevor,
You probably need to consider resale of the Multistrada as well, there is a few on Bikepoint and Bikesales( or was last time I looked). I spoke to Chris Pickett from Cycle Torque yesterday. He said that the Corsaro is the best bike he tested in 2008 and more comfortable than the 91/2 MM.
I particularly asked about the seat comfort and he said it was good. In fact he had no real negatives about the bike at all. His test of the 91/2 will be up soon.
He is on good terms with the Manager of Stony Creek Powersports and has passed on my contact details to him so he can ring me when he gets back from hols. I will let you know what happens then.
Don't know what its like down there now but it sure is steamy up here. Regards,
Ian
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yep your right, the resale on the Multi is not good at all and worse on the non S model, the seat on the MM was fine for the time I rode it (1/2 hour in traffic and a bit on the highway) so that should not be an issue. If I could get the Veloce in red x red frame that would just about right.
The resale of the MM is an unknown thing at this stage, but the N.Z. bikes sales has a few their… you may get an idea there

And by the way its about 23c and overcast today, but getting very hot tomorrow and the rest of the week (35+ ) beach time……..
carpe diem

Post by carpe diem »

And by the way its about 23c and overcast today, but getting very hot tomorrow and the rest of the week (35+ ) beach time……..

.....hold on ...get some ice!
Thierry
trevor

Post by trevor »

Boy I coming over there, if that’s the ice you take can’t wait to see the glass it goes in, the bike looks good with the white stuff behind it, how’s it performing and how many Ks have you done, any issues. "Cheers"

Trevor

PS you need a bit of scotch with that ice.
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Carpe,
Great photo, there's only one or two places over here like that and only at certain times of the year. How did the bike run?
Trevor,
Chris returned with the info that the prices aren't rising, I tried to contact the manager ( Clayton 0419 228 340) of Powersports yesterday but his phone was off. I will try again to-morrow. There ia another thread on this site which details the problems of a 2006. I think the current model has those issues beaten. It is a very timely post as I will refer the importer to this site and ask him to ring me back about the 2006 problems or post a response. That will be interesting. I have to decide soon what I am going to getor the Minister for the Interior may change her mind on funding for a new bike.
Ian
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Trevor,
I tried to contact Clayton at Powersports but it turns out that he is in China--probably for the Benelli side of things. I spoke to Paul who is the director of the company.I told him about this site and my concerns regarding the post put in by Michael in the other thread.
The first shipment to Australia in August 07 had 28 bikes and 2 had ECU problems, one of which was caused by a dealer at the time. This bike is in Gladstone QLD and a mechanic was sent up from Bris. The rest are running fine but he admits that it is still too early to find out about leaky headlights and the other things raised by Michael. The next lot of bikes are due to be released from customs in the next day or so. 12 of these are veloces and I think a few might be the new red colour ( see the Morini website and look under bikes). The Veloces are the most sought after over here it seems. The open pipes and new chip make virtually no difference on the road and it apparently needs a good rider on the track to eventually realise the difference. So, I guess the difference will be what usually occurs..slightly smoother running and a better sound.
Paul has contacted NZ and the USA to see how their 2007/8 models are going and things look good. The Kiwis are finding the bikes to be running very well.
The radial mount brakes are not available as an option. They were listed but that is not correct. They won't be available until 2009.The only accessories for the Veloce and Corsaro are a tank protector and a bike cover.
There is a 9 1/2 Demo and also a Corsaro demo in Bris , so that is the next step. It would be good to hear from any Aussie owners to see how the bikes are running over here. Regards,
Ian
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

Just to add -

From March/April of this year you will be able to purchase an Ohlins rear shock from the factory (that will be standard on 08 Veloce models) to retrofit on earlier models if desired.

Rich
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Ian & the rest
Good work on getting the information, having rode both bikes (the Ducati & MM ) I’m trying to decide what way to go, both have good and bad points…….. It would be nice for other local riders to add their opinions.

Regards

Trevor
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Trevor,
I am trying to track down the Corsaro owner in Gladstone to see how his bike is going. From the number of views that thread has it would be good to hear opinions/stories etc. Also, no comment from the trade....rather interesting given that they should be pushing a bit for the product. Regards,
Ian
trevor

Post by trevor »

Very true.............. Sometimes nothing tells more of the situation

Trevor

P.S.
I must say, starting to look at other options more..
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Guys;

In the UK trade users tend to stay away from forums like ours - although we do have interest from some and I know that one at least is keen to join.

3X, the UK importers are still bringing in Morinis and are taking money for the new Granpasso - due here in April. They are showing Morini at the London M/C show (I believe) at the end of January - a good chance for UK Morini riders to catch up on the situation.

The factory are very hot on service and quality control, and so should respond well to the problems quoted - as long as they get to hear of them. Perhaps we should get them to join the forum!

:wink:

Corsaro Chris
carpe diem

Post by carpe diem »

"Perhaps we should get them to join the forum! "

Right Chris , would be nice to have a sparring partner in Bologna ; after all we are a small community( I believe 57 corsaro's sold in France in 2007 , a multiple of that in Germany..) why not ?
In fact, I believe there is something like that already prepared into the official MM site (moriniworld ,http://www.motomorini.com/mm.asp) but as far as I know not in use??
But , if I could have the opportunity to have a direct dialogue with some intendant in Bologna I would use this service for sure: to avoid all the people-between turning around the news . , and to ensure the dealers /importers being busy with there core job. But of course , it's part of the Italian way of live I presume...