Corsaro or Veloce

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
trevor

Corsaro or Veloce

Post by trevor »

Hi all (I’m new to the site)

I have been looking at buying one of the Corsaro’s or Veloce’s; the problem is these bikes are new into Australia and no to many riders are aware of them as yet. Getting good info on them is hard as well.

So my Question is how good they are, I currently ride a Ducati Sportclassic 1000 (single seat) and getting a sick of it. At 48 the reach to the bars is getting to me….I’ve been looking at a Multistada 1100s for the upright ride, these are how can I put it, very unattractive…

Then the around two weeks ago a friend told me about the new Corsaro 1200, and they look very nice

Any information about the bikes would be great, I’ve had a look over your site and read some of the items and they appear to have had some issues early on, are they fixed now.

The seating looks good, how are they after a long ride 400 + in a day, can you get luggage bags for the bike. I would like to use the bike as a sport tourer, any thoughts about that?

thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Trevor
mms

Post by mms »

Trevor,

I have been using a Corsaro since May this year and can recommend it as a sportstourer. The only downside is the lack of decent wind protection, but this is really only a problem above 90mph.
I have done some days with the sort of mileage you mention without any comfort problems (better than my last bike - BMW R1100S) but have since added the gel seat option which feels even better. The comfortable riding position and the torquey, powerful engine were what attracted me most on the test ride.

For a recent trip through Ireland and France, I used the Moto Morini tank cover and tankbag, with a small tail pack (Kriega) and this was fine for me for 2 weeks - although I did sneak some more gear into my wife's luggage on her 350 Strada!
The high exhausts make throw over panniers difficult, as they may melt.

Regarding problems - I did have the 'usual' problems of lumpy low down running, but this has been much reduced by software updates and also as the mileage increases. Everything else is fine so far, and certainly doesn't feel all that fragile - I would guess any future problems may be due to water in the electrics or similar. If you are happy to own a Ducati then I reckon you will be fine with the Corsaro.

It's certainly a lot quicker than a Multistrada!

In summary - very happy with the bike.

Michael
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi and thanks for the feed back Michael

Today I took a Veloce for a ride, the bike had only 500K’s on the clock so had to take it easy. Yes your right about the power, a lot more then the Mult and the riding height and feel was good. I could only ride it for an half an hour but the bike was very nice.

The heat coming off the fan’s was a bit hot on the legs when in heavily traffic and the brake pedal was adjusted a bit high for my boot, but if that is all I could fault well what can I say….. The shop said they are going gang busters with sales so there should be lot more on the road soon. At this stage theirs no after market bags, or other to carry cloths so aftermarket is the way to go. Your right about the throw over panniers, this could be difficult.

Another Question for all,

I like the red/gold mix Corsaro (red frame) but can’t get the Veloce with this colour, the other way to go was to put the pipes and ecu to the Red Corsaro, this will cost the same or more then the Veloce.

Is their any other changes to the Veloce other then the pipes & ecu

Regards

Trevor
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

Mate, just buy the Veloce and fit the race ECU.

I've got one and it's awesome with 130hp at the back wheel.

Have a look at the colouring of mine on the other thread as well; you may wish to repeat it :wink:
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Ben,
I am in Australia as well and have looked at the info available on the Corsaro and Veloce. A recent test report stated that the rear shock on the Veloce is an Ohlins. Is this correct? Also it stated that there was no power increase only a change in the mapping. There is supposed to be a 47 page accessory book available as well in the New Year. The article stated that radial mount calipers could be ordered for the Veloce also.I am tending toward the Veloce so what are your findings on fuel range, effectiveness of the lights. I am getting off a 916 for comfort reasons so I imagine the seat must be good by comparison. Any opinions are welcome. Regards,
Ian
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

Well, I never went into that much research and so can not comment on all your findings, but here goes :wink: :

Radial brakes aren't gonna stop you better IMO and brakes just slow you down.

The bike is fast. About as fast as a 999R apparently according to a mate of mine who rode mine and said 999R back to back.

I am only getting 21mpg in the wet. I would reckon on high teens in the summer limiting tank range to 1 hour if you ride flat out on the road.

I cannot comment on less spirited riding as I get bored going slowly.

I don't know whether the race ECu increases power or not ut you can see my dyno run on the other thread.

If you really need the extra ponies, then you could easily remove the cat and create a link pipe. Along with a PC3 I would imaine you'd get a few more but what a waste of money!

You know, I can't look at the rear shock as the bike is in the shop having a crankcase oil leak repaired but I don't think it's an Ohlins.
Sander

Post by Sander »

The Öhlins is fitted to the 2008 model Veloce (and to the new Granpasso). The old Veloce shock is a Sachs, but a heavier model then the 2006-2007 Corsaro. This shock is now used for the 2008 Corsaro.

I think this bike must now allready be in Australia :) (picture from end September)
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Ben/Sander,
Thanks for the reply. The Veloce is starting to firm as the favourite! I currently use the 916 for everything from sports riding to touring. I did the 5500Km trip to Phillip Island last year for the MotoGP and it nearly killed me hence the change. I have a fair bit of highway travelling from time to time and the police have us beaten on those roads unless we travel in numbers of 3 or more. Our fuel stops in the country are about 200kms apart so I would hope that at 130Kms/hr I could travel that far. For the fun rides I don't care about the fuel. Also, are there alternative switches like the Euro 916 which I bought later that allows the headlight to be turned off? When the battery gets weak this can mean the difference between starting or not. Regards,
Ian
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

You can get a Ventura rack for the Corsaro and so there will plenty of space to keep a fuel can.................. :lol:
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Ben,
You're right .. a nice 5Gal aluminium tank and hopefully ventura make an oil in frame kit as well! Regards,
Ian
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Ian

Have you moved on the bike as yet...

Trevor
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Trevor,
I am waiting for the dealers to get back to the shops so I can find out a bit more. I reckon that I have more info from here than they will supply. I still want to know about the service intervals, headlights and accessories and availability etc. It looks like that there is about 3 months between shipments. I have got a contact who will give me the phone number of the tester who did the write up for the Corsaro in Cycle Torque to get a bit more info. I think his name is Chris Pickett. I will let you know any further info...what are you thinking about doing and where are you located? Regards,
Ian
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Mackia;

I've had my Corsaro 18 months now and have done 5,600 miles on it, and so its been through the whole service cycle. This is a first service at 1,500 km (about 1000 miles), another at 5,000 km (3000 miles) and then one eery two years or 10,000 km (6000 miles). This last one costs twice as much because the schedule requires changing all the fluids - a whole £200 sterling (which is pretty good compared to the other Bologna twin...) and taking three hours.

My only hassle is the starting - this is still not quite right despite attention - the dealer suspects a faulty sensor so I will be getting him to look at that when the weather improves. As it is a pretty minor thing I am not too concerned, but at £8k+ for a bike it should be right...

Other things that cost money are tyres and fuel, but they are worth the grin on the face
:D
Mackia

Post by Mackia »

Chris,
Thanks for the info. The service intervals suggest that Morini are keen to make sure their motors are right. The starting problem didn't occur in the recent test here in Australia. They were expecting a problem but there were no glitches and the mapping seems perfect. Looks like there will be a few comparos soon and I will run with the Veloce if there are no big problems. I still haven't heard what the lights are like at night. Also would like to know if the screen works a little bit. Regards,
Ian
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Machia;

As I said - my problem may be a fault with one of the sensors - the engine turns over and once warmed up to 20 degrees or so runs fine - the mapping etc give a good clean run from 1500 revs to the limit. It just needs me to set the throttle so that it doesn't stall when cold...

The lights are good - there is a small adjusting screw that allows you to set the beam just as you would want it (its hidden to one side of the double lamp unit), with one lamp the dip and the other main beam. There is a pilot light within each shell.

The switches are modern Italian so are OK - I did have a problem in pouring rain when a leak developed and brought on main and dipped beams together - not good! When it happened again a couple of months later I sprayed the switch on the handlebar and have not had any problems since (riding in the UK means that despite the best planning we sometimes have to get the bikes wet...); previously we had just treated the wiring loom into the headlamp shell.

I am sure that the screen does have an impact on the wind at speed. Certainly you will not haver problems up to 90 - 100 mph. Going faster, as in across the Mountain on the Isle of Man (officer) I was concentrating too much on the road and the turns to notice the wind. I noticed a slight weave once at about 120 mph climbing up Hailwood Rise, but it was very brief and not enough to worry, so I don't think the screen has any adverse affect. I am 5' 10" height and 14 stone so very slightly above average for the standard factory suspension settings.

For the 2008 model year the Veloce has uprated rear suspension - now they are specifying a Ohlins with remote resevoir and multiple adjustments... with the standard Corsaro sticking to the Sachs unit. The Veloce is also 2 kilos lighter - look on the Morini web site for detailed spec sheets if you want more details

Contact Sander from the Netherlands who has ridden all over Europe (including to our Club Factory visit in September 2007) if you are taller, as he will be able to give you a definative view.

Good hunting :!: