New owner & oil leak

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
X1er

New owner & oil leak

Post by X1er »

Hi

I've just purchased a used 2008 Corsaro. See my other post below. It hadn't been ridden for 2 years. I've resolved the initial melted stator wires. The bike runs well, pulls hard and has no untoward noises etc but I now have another issue.

It is leaking oil from the what I assume is the spark plug drain hole in the front cylinder. I'm guessing then that the rocker box gasket is the culprit. So here come the questions:

Is this a common issue, especially since the bike hasn't been ridden for a while and so the gaskets have dried out?

Should I have a go at checking the cover's bolts are torqued correctly?

Or just bite the bullet and order a set of new gaskets at the same time I order some other maintenance items from the factory via NLM in the UK?

I have already down loaded the manual.

Photo attached. It leaked more than what the picture shows. The photo was taken after I wiped the area clean and then let it idle in order to find out the source of the leak.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
front cylinder oil leak.jpeg
front cylinder oil leak.jpeg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
X1er

Re: New owner & oil leak

Post by X1er »

OK, since posting this query I've found and downloaded a Parts Catalogue for the 05 / 2008 Corsaro and since the oil leak is coming from the spark plug drain hole the potential culprit looks like the inside gasket which is a little round 'Spark Plug Stem Gasket' P/N M92900008400 (number 29 in the attached diagram) as opposed to the larger outside head cover gasket (number 28).

Think I'll be test running the bike carefully a few more times before I order parts from the other side of the world just in case some other parts are required.

It would be good if someone could confirm or provide an opinion on my initial assessment.

Cheers
Attachments
Part number 29.jpg
Part number 29.jpg (210.31 KiB) Viewed 7943 times
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

No experience of the modern Morini's but have worked on alsorts other engines but I
would try nipping the rocker box down, if it still leaks then part 29 is favorit as you
say but it would likely be worth ordering both gaskets as both will be disturbed if
you take the cover off.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Nr 29 is quite famous for improper re-installing. I "glue" it with (very) little threebond before re-assembly.
Nr 28 i have never replaced, although I have a spare. Mount carefully (I also use a little threebond, as the factory does as well) and never overtighten the four screws.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I had the same problem after checking valve clearance.
The seal had moved slightly.
Repositioned and no problems since -- don't fret it 8)
Dave H

Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT :)
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :lol:
Beta RR300 :mrgreen: