Rear shock removal/refitting

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Rear shock removal/refitting

Post by 72degrees »

Prompted by the discussion of seat height a couple of us vertically challenged old gimmers were having recently, I enquired at Revs suspension today about strategies for lowering the Corsaro significantly. I was collecting the WP forks and rear unit for a KTM they had just 'shortened' so I know it may be possible.

They said that if I can get 20/30 mm out of the front by letting the forks through the yokes they can match it at the back, though it may require a custom Wilbers shock (they are agents) rather than modifying the OEM unit. I'm seriously considering it, but compared to a KTM with PDS rear suspension (no linkage) just getting the rear shock out and in looks tricky. I've done it on several linkage bikes (including the 350SXF where you have to have the shock and exhaust header off and j-j-jiggle them just so before the shock will come out), but the Corsaro one looks a bit inaccessible and buried.

Can't even find the page of the workshop manual covering it - any hints, tips or advice? If all else fails I could just take the bike to them but I'd rather not.

Not sure I'll do it anyway as it won't make it any lighter. Got to get the 250EXC ready for the lad, for next years speed hill climb season, first anyway.
backfat1187

Re: Rear shock removal/refitting

Post by backfat1187 »

It's on page 254 in the workshop manual PDF, although it just tells you what to undo rather how to actually get the thing out.
Is it ohlins or sachs? I've had the ohlins shock out a couple of times on the Veloce. I suspended the back end of the bike using ratchet straps from the ceiling to the rear subframe.
The shock will come out the bottom of the swingarm. It is a bit awkward to get the reservoir out from above the swingarm and through the gap to follow the shock though. When it came to the refit, I couldn't get the reservoir back through the gap and had to take the swingarm spindle out to get a bit more space. Quite tricky if you're on your own. The exhaust was off anyway so I'm not sure if the 1 into 2 section would be in the way if left on. I found it easier to detach the linkage from the back of the motor and take the swingarm out with the shock still attached (P. 282). Less awkward and fiddly but takes a bit longer with all the extra stuff you need to take off.
Hope this helps.
Keep us posted.
Jim.
72degrees

Re: Rear shock removal/refitting

Post by 72degrees »

Ah, thanks, found the manual section.

I usually use a hydraulic under frame stand (a heavy duty one designed to support Harleys) on the MX bikes but they have bottom frame rails and no under-slung exhaust to get in the way.

The ratchet straps to the garage rafters dodge comes in handy keeping a bike secure on the stand with the forks and swing arm out. I'd need to rig up beefier mounting points for the weight of the Corsaro though.

The whole swing arm/shock strategy sounds the easiest if not the quickest, but I've got all winter. I'll talk to John at revs again about what they can do regarding the shock first.