Starter Relay Fuses

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Guvo

Starter Relay Fuses

Post by Guvo »

Greetings: I have 40Amp starter relay fuse issue on my 2007 Corsaro Veloce.The problem was said to be diagnosed by FX Powersports in Melbourne Victoria Australia.The problem being,these fuses keep blowing.Caused presumably from starter relay terminal allen screw corrosion from the starter relay located underneath the radiator overflow reservoir.They stated they had cleaned the terminals and screws of surface corrosion.In which they determined was leading to the 40Amp fuse blow outs.On the way home from picking the bike up from it's service,another fuse blew.They said they cleaned the relay terminals and screws,but upon self investigation from their guidance.I discovered one of the screws was fused in with corrosion.It had not been cracked free,they had not done what they said they did.Surprise! I was able to crack it free with patience and perseverance and cleaned both terminals and their respective allen screw bolts and terminals and the relay seats they screw into thoroughly with a wire brush and fine sandpaper.Before applying mx3 inox spray to lubricate,displace moisture and to protect from further corrosion.Fuses still keep blowing? Has any one else had this problem before? If so would you be so kind as to inform me of a remedy.Regards Guvo.
MonstroMorini

Re: Starter Relay Fuses

Post by MonstroMorini »

Now you know why I do al maintenance myself :wink: (combined with the lack of dealers).

I think you have a shortage in the powerlead from the batterie to the starter relay and/or from relay to starter. Remove seat and tank and check the cables (check for any damage on the insulation). Also check batterie terminals on corrosion and tightened screws. If the cable is OK you're start relay may be faulty, you can replace it with a yamaha one like: 4DN-81940-10 or 4DN-81940-12-00, should be easy to get....
Guvo

Re: Starter Relay Fuses

Post by Guvo »

Thank you for the advise MonstroMorini I will do as suggested.