Veloce oil leak

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
backfat1187

Veloce oil leak

Post by backfat1187 »

Took the Veloce out for a spin today, noticed 40 or so miles in the rear brake was becoming significantly less effective. Looked down to see oily boot, oily rear tyre, oily brake disc....
Oopsy
oil.JPG
oil.JPG (104.26 KiB) Viewed 8306 times
Tiny bit irksome really, had an oil leak last spring too where the crankcase breather goes into the airbox.
It looks like it's coming from somewhere near the top of the rear cylinder. Cam cover gasket possibly???
Dunno. I'll have the tank, throttle bodies and airbox etc off next week and report back.
butchamphib

Re: Veloce oil leak

Post by butchamphib »

While your at it swap that hose clip for a worm drive clip and keep on top of it, both mine blew off at 17,000 miles. One I got away with and one trashed the engine.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

I'll do that. Thanks for the heads up.
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

I had the same - had overtightened the hose clamp of the breather hose (where it is connected to the airbox), causing the hose to leak :oops:
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

So I've eventually had a chance to investigate. Took the top off the airbox to find half an inch of engine oil sitting in the bottom of the airbox. The front injector was virtually submerged!
The oil was seeping down past the throttle bodies, into the V and on from there...
As far as I can see, the only way for that oil to get in there is either the crankcase breather or the blow by valve. Don't really understand why it's started doing this. I fitted a new blow by valve last spring because the rubber outer was leaking. The new one is fitted correctly. The engine has not been overfilled with oil.
Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?
Cheers all