Corsaro Buyers guide.

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Ninja380

Corsaro Buyers guide.

Post by Ninja380 »

Hi everyone.

Im considering purchasing a corsaro or corsaro veloce as my next bike.

I need to know everything. What to look out for, common problems
I hail from Brisbane Qld Australia. So any good mechanics near me. Any other mm owners nearby.

what mods are essential? Are parts easy to get from mm?

Thoughts etc.

I plan to use to get to work from time to time. And the weekend blast up the mountain. A track day maybe on the cards also.

thanks in advance
MickeyMoto

Re: Corsaro Buyers guide.

Post by MickeyMoto »

hi,

Had mine for close on 3 years (06 model) had 4k kms when bought, got about 18k now. Speedo sensor broke so not sure but replaced at cost of about £60.I believe common part.

Other failures - oil cooler spewed oil - banjo washer corroded - replaced with copper.
Instruments are a bit haphazard - the button does not function but all works except can't see trips etc.
Starter solenoid fuse corroded - easily replaced with spare attached.
Engine coating poor as peeling
Lever adjusters seized
Relays for everything - the ones for the lights and fans are behind the fairing and need to be replaced as they are not sealed. One failed and lights failed.
Cush drive rubbers failed at 15k kms
Still on original chain

Of course being in Aus, salt laden icy roads probably won't be a problem

Lights are good.
Fuel light means fill up - NOW - 30kms max until dry
Handling is precise.
Engine pulls from 2k if chain tension correct and cush drive rubbers ok
Needs a bit more wind protection
I can do 700km days but knees suffer - probably age related but is a thoroughbred with high bars.
9-10 km/l consumption in general riding - lot less when thrashed -
Oil change annual - 10k kms interval
I use Pirelli touring tyres - last well - 6k kms at moment on latest rear - 11k on front
Saddle is a tad high
Fans cut in at 90C - bit noisy in traffic
Used for commuting, touring, long trips

Hope this helps, sometime tempted to sell but something keeps saying no...... they are that good.

Have heard some horror stories of coolant hoses loosening off and oil cooler hoses rubbing on engine.

As always - look before you leap - some are over 8 years old.

Mike.
Ninja380

Post by Ninja380 »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply.

I test rode one a few years ago and still havent found a bike that ive felt the same way. That guy had the coolant hose issue, the engine melted it or something. He also said the bike needed a power commander to improve the fuelling. There isnt too many here in aus. Our issues would be heat and dust related. Im not a mechanic but am not afraid of having a go.

Ive consdiered the 2009.ktm super duke r the 2012 benelli 1130 r160, 2009 buell 1125cr. 2012 z1000. All around the same price here.

All of which id be happy with any of these but the corsaro was the most comfortable and just outright fun.

the one ive enquired about has 10000kms apparently stock 2009 corsaro veloce. 1 owner. Looks very clean.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Power commander made a massive difference on my 08 veloce. It does have full termi system though.
Had similar issues with relays etc but easily sorted. One of my cooling fans went bang. I've heard of others doing the same but SPAL in Italy do still make them.
The rear shock hose runs quite close to the rear header and get very hot. I replaced melted one. You can buy all the parts for the Ohlins shock. Having said that, I don't know which bikes were fitted with Ohlins so it may or may not be an issue.
Don't neglect your clearances. I've seen a couple of messy heads and barrels.
danger1474

Post by danger1474 »

G'day,

My 2008 model has done duty in QLD, NT and now VIC. I haven't had any of the issues described above. The only things of note is that some of my switchgear bolts have rust, as does the mirror mount. Thats about it!!
Having said that, I'm investigating a solution to the coolant hose issue because I don't want that badboy letting go on me.

The biggest problem you'll have is parts, particularly consumables like oil filter. Prepare to learn Italian to find stuff on ebay.it, or get stuff from the variety of UK online stores or European online stores that have English as a language.

I have accumulated a bit of a list of websites that stock Corsaro parts or suitable gear so there's stuff out there - just not in Australia. The Aus distributor went bust a year after I got mine and no-one has picked it up since. So don't expect a local dealer to be of any help.

With regards to maintenance, I have the service manual in PDF which I can forward you. Any workshop that can handle Ducatis can handle the Corsaro - it speaks fluent Ducati. I give them a thumbdrive with the manual, tell them it speaks Ducati and had no problems.

As far as the Powercommander goes - forget it. There's a great thread in here about using GuzziDiag to re-map your ECU. I followed it and improved the bike dramatically (something I didn't think was possible!) for the grand sum of about $40. Don't get any of the ebay cables - save your sanity and get this one... http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main ... ucts_id=50

Best of luck!