bike wont start

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
mgb81

bike wont start

Post by mgb81 »

Hi , has any one had a problem with nothing happening when you turn the key ? I don't get the normal noises from the fuel pump and not much else happens . I ve checked fuses and am about to replace relays as the fan one was knackered . Is there anything else I should look for . cheers
72degrees

Re: bike wont start

Post by 72degrees »

Presumably you have already checked that the battery and connections (particularly the earth lead) are OK?
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

I will do , I get lights up on the dash and headlight on , indicators work , plus horn . But nothing else . Quite weird as its been dry stored all winter , fired up to temperature occasionally , then was going to take it for an mot and it wouldn't oblige , most puzzling
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

mgb81 wrote:I will do , I get lights up on the dash and headlight on , indicators work , plus horn . But nothing else . Quite weird as its been dry stored all winter , fired up to temperature occasionally , then was going to take it for an mot and it wouldn't oblige , most puzzling
Not the battery then. Side stand /neutral switch?

Just a long shot, but based on experience with Corsaro Chris's first Corsaro on the IoM in 2006, try putting it in to gear and rocking it backwards and forwards a bit (enough to slightly turn the motor), then try it again. In that case, however, I think the tacho was behaving oddly - not doing it's usually sweep and return on first putting the ignition on. We decided it must have been a sensor falsely indicating to the ECU that the engine was already running or something like that. Anyway, it worked, so worth a try.
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

I ve tried that , no joy . the tacho doesn't sweep and I don't get the initial noise from the bike . A mystery
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

I think I ve overlooked the obvious ! the alarm seems to have gone to sleep , its a meta 2 , and it wont wake up ! apparently a common problem . anyone got any ideas ?
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

My Corsaro (with Meta 2) does the same thing if it's been stood for a while. This works on mine...
Switch ignition on - get all the dash lights, dip beam and side lights but no fuel pump noise
Press the button on the alarm fob - it should beep and flash the indicators once - like disarming the alarm
Switch the ignition off and on again, it should then work properly and prime the fuel pump etc

Only other thing I can think of is the kill switch but can't remember if the fuel pump does it's thing with that in the off position or not. The bike is not here at the moment so I can't go and try it.
nicko

Post by nicko »

I am experiencing the following:
Turn ignition on, lights, fuel pump, click, etc all works. Press the start button and nothing. Try a few times and then it fires up.
I did notice last night that I heard a click and then six/eight seconds later I heard another click. Once the second click was heard the bike fires up. The second click seemed to come from down on the left hand side of the bike.
I do not have an alarm/immobiliser so am lost as to what this can be.
Any ideas?
franco82

Post by franco82 »

The second click could be switching the lights off. If you turn the ignition the lights turn on and if you dont start the engine, they will turn off again. I am not sure if this is 6 or 9 seconds, but it should be something like that.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Must be a relay :)

There are millions on the bloody bike.
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

MickeyMoto wrote:Must be a relay :)

Well - for some counting can be a problem. Are you a politician? :mrgreen:
In fact, there are six. Three in front, under the fairing - main beam, fans, hi-beam. Two under the seat, for the fuel pump and the main relais.
And then of course the start relais, left side next to the radiator. And yes, relais can cause problems - on any bike :)
Get some sealed replacements - see the other link - and put a spare under the seat.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Yep, starter relay. Had exactly the same thing.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Starter relay on mine was ok when it wouldn't start - it was the fuse - the leg fell off due to corrosion. Did not realise there is a spare on t'other side...
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

MonstroMorini wrote:
MickeyMoto wrote:Must be a relay :)

Well - for some counting can be a problem. Are you a politician? :mrgreen:
In fact, there are six. Three in front, under the fairing - main beam, fans, hi-beam. Two under the seat, for the fuel pump and the main relais.
And then of course the start relais, left side next to the radiator. And yes, relais can cause problems - on any bike :)
Get some sealed replacements - see the other link - and put a spare under the seat.

Irony - next to Antimony in the Periodic Table.... :)

I have no problems with relays on my Kanguro, Nevada or Laverda.... probably because the only one on each is for the indicators. Progress.........
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Try cleaning the two frame mounted fuses on the left hand side of the front of the bike; these are for the starter (?) relay and are placed for maximum attach by spray from the front mudguard. Taking them out, checking and cleaning them probably helps as well. It obviously doesn't rain in Italy (as Mike noted in another thread!)... my Corsaro had the same problem last year after a ride in a real summer downpour,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"