Speedometer reading query

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Curtis

Speedometer reading query

Post by Curtis »

I am still running my Veloce in and limited to the 5500rpm limit.

But compared to my old Tuono the speedo seems to be reading faster.

This may all be in my head due to the unfamiliarity of the Corsaro, and the fact on the tuono I changed sprocket ratios, lowering the gearing (so maybe giving the illusion of going faster).

So the question is, to check if its right or not:

6th gear - I am reading about 91-93mph at 5000rpm, does this sound ok?

Also, about 103mph at 5500rpm.

I have tried using a spreadsheet to calculate what it should be but don't have the sprocket ratios to finish off the calculation. Anyone know what these are as standard?

I'll count them later if not ;)

Thanks
Rich
Sander

Post by Sander »

Curtis, i think these vlues are about right for a Corsaro.
They all have this special feature that reduces the costs of a speeding ticket :D

If i remember correctly the speedo has about 29km/1000rpm in 6th, while the real speed is around 6-8% less.

This will easy to check with a GPS on a straight road.
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

Thanks Sanders,

when it warms up a bit and some of the salt is washed off the road i'll try and check with gps.

Cheers
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Maybe the easiest way (not relying on gearbox and sprocket ratio or tyre dimension) is to ride at a steady speed on a highway, and check how much time you need to cover a certain distance. For instance (and excuse me for the metric units...) if you ride 120 km/hour it takes you 30 second to make 1 km, or 5 minutes to make 10 km.

I'm not sure for Great Britain, but in Belgium or France there are distance signs on the side of the highways. If you ride 120 km/hour on your speedo and you need 33 seconds to make 1 km then in fact you were riding 120*30/33 = 109 km/hour.

Alternatively, if you adapt your speed to cover exactly 1 km in 30 seconds and your speedo tells you you are riding 135 km/hour, then you know that 135 on the speedo gives a true 120 km/hour.

The worst I got was on a Guzzi Le Mans, indicating 90 km/hour when I was riding 50. And surprisingly, the speedo was getting more accurate at high speed.

I leave you the pleasure to make the calculation in mph...

Hope it helps.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

Just tape the speedo up Rich; too much of a distraction :D
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

Hehe - you got a point Ben,

Seen your bike in the workshop a couple of weeks ago - FFS what the heck had you done to it!!

Never seen a bike look so dirty - I feel a bit ashamed now of not using mine so much in this cruddy weather. Broke the 100 mile barrier today but it was slippy and freezin out (diablos were fine, but was slippy in car so took it very easy on the bike).

Hope it improves a bit over the holidays.

Cheers
Rich
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

I went out on the 929 RR 'Blade yesterday and with Dunlop GP Racers on :D These are a road legal track tyre and not recommended for the road

I went fast and didn't have a single moment but kept the lean angles to less than 20 degrees 8)

If I had got stopped I would have explained to the officer that I needed to travel at between 90 and 130 to keep some heat and therefore grip in the tyres :D

To the caffi tomorrow for Xmas dinner.

The Veloce is up at Real World with an oil leak of sorts, a new pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts and a valet. There's a new crankcase cover to go on.

TBH, it can stay there until the salt goes away :wink: