2008 Avio stalls when coming to a stop

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
X1er

2008 Avio stalls when coming to a stop

Post by X1er »

Hi all

This subject has been covered many times on this forum but here goes…….

Relatively Aussie new owner of a 2008 Corsaro Avio. It’s unmodified and has the standard mufflers that the Avio came with as per the attached photo.

It’d been unridden for 2 years prior to me buying it. It’s now up and running with parts ordered via NLM.

The valve clearances are up to date, the spark plugs are fresh and the air filter is in excellent condition.

I have confirmed with the mechanic that serviced it from new that the ECU has never been updated. Morini is unsupported in Australia.

It’s a bit a touchy/rough at low revs but that’s OK, it’s a short stroke V twin which is ridden for fun so it’s not a commuter and it’s still a lot smoother than my Buell. It starts well, idles fine but has one annoying and embarrassing habit of stalling just as I come to a stop unless I give it a quick rev with the clutch in just before I stop.

I’ve been using 98 octane fuel and if ever stops raining here on the weekends I’m going to try a tank of 95 octane (non-ethanol) fuel to see if that has any affect on the stalling when coming to a stop.

There’s a lot of information on this site about remapping with the termignomi pipes with and without DB killers, Veloce versions etc .

I’d like to know if there are any maps suited for the standard Avio configuration with the mufflers as per the picture from Avio equivalent(?) models later than 2008 that would resolve the stalling issue and perhaps help smooth out the power delivery. If so, which maps are they? I’d prefer to install a whole new map as opposed to trying to alter an existing one.

If there are some suitable maps for me to consider then having never remapped an ECU I’ll purchase the required cable and start researching guzzidiag and work up to backing up my current map and installing an updated map.

Cheers.
Attachments
Avio.jpg
Avio.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
Ralph

Re: 2008 Avio stalls when coming to a stop

Post by Ralph »

Check the switch on the clutch leaver I know it is part of the starter system but
on some bikes and I don't know if Morini is one it also acts as a anti stall device
waking the engine up from the over run and in some cases retarding the ignition
so see if it is connected and working, worth a check.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Stalling at low speeds/when using clutch was a common problem with the older maps. Do yourself a favor, invest a little money in the cable and update your mapping.

Mappings per model, chronologically. Thanks to Ebi of the german morini forum.

Corsaro 140hp
Standard maps:
• early 2006: 2333MA45 (D)
mostly famous for stalling the engine…..

• mid 2006 - 2007: 2333MOL1249 (UK)
Updated idling

• 2008 so called E3 map: 23ACMOR95C (D,NL)
Starting/idling OK. Fuel consumption may be an issue and not very smooth at low revs.
Fans on at 90°C

• 23ACMOL49C (UK) , 23ACMOL49D (UK)
Maps much like the E3 map

• 2010 – so called E10 map: 23ACMORCORA (D,NL)
Improved E3 map. Fine for touring, uses less fuel. Can run irregular at constant speed due to lean combustion.
Fans on at 98°C.

Race Mappings (Lambda off):
• 23ACMOLK22C
• 23ABMOLSK22
• 23ACMOLK22D
Older maps, 22D is the most recent.
High fuel consumption, rich. For open pipes.
Fans on at 98°C.

• 23ECMOLCORB (F)
• 23ECMOLCORC (NL,B,F)
Most recent race map. Very nice to drive, acceptable fuel usage. Can be used with or without db-killers
Fans on at 98°C.

Mappings 120hp models
Sport & Scrambler

• 23EDMORSPTC (F)(D)
much like the 23ECMOLSPTA (granpasso).

• 2337MOL95
2009 version of the 120hp Map

• 23ECMOLSPTA
Lambda off. Is reported to run very well on Sport & Scrambler

Granpasso
• Granpasso standard map from 2008: 23ACMORSPTA

• 23ECCLGPSMB
• 23ECCLGPSMC

Avio
• Corsaro Avio 2009: 23ACMORCAVG
Very different from all other maps in the idling setup
X1er

Post by X1er »

Thanks for the comprehensive list and the speed of the reply.

Good to know it was a common problem. Seems from the list there's only one map for the Avio, being the later 2009 ECU version. This map is supposed to cure the stalling issues. Hopeful that it might also do something about the flat spot at about 3,500rpm.

I accessed the Google drive link under the Corsaro Runs Rich thread and there's two Bin files for the Avio:

- 23CAMORCAVG
- 23ACMORCAVG Lambada Off

Arrgh….. a bit more research and a few hours of trying and Guzzidiag and Mac computers aren't a good match!

If I can't organise a windows laptop I think I'll end up going to the local Guzzi mechanic and see if he will save my current map and upload the 23CAMORCAVG with the Lambada ON using Guzzidiag.

So I have all the information when I do this can I confirm that:

(1) ECU is IAW5x, same type as a Griso 8V?
(2) TPS reset required? If so what should it be reset to?
(3) CO setting? - Is there any need to anything if I choose the map with the Lambada sensor ON?
(4) Anything else I should know

Thanks again……...
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Mac? I had Virtualbox on my Macbook Air and ran XP on that. Worked fine....
So I have all the information when I do this can I confirm that:

(1) ECU is IAW5x, same type as a Griso 8V?
(2) TPS reset required? If so what should it be reset to?
(3) CO setting? - Is there any need to anything if I choose the map with the Lambada sensor ON?
(4) Anything else I should know
1 - yes, any 8v will do
2 - under actors you can choose TPS reset. I only know Corsaro, there it resets to 2.7 degrees.
3 - Without CO meter it is trial & error :twisted: Start with default '0', do test run. Go +/- 10, depending on test run, do test run etc.......
(when you do more than 220km on a 16 liter tank refill, the engine is running well and the pipes are not black, you are doing OK)
4 - you can use any of the 120hp maps :wink: I would start with a tested scrambler/granpasso map, as those are the most popular models.
(if there is such a thing amongst morini's :mrgreen: )
X1er

Post by X1er »

Thanks!

I will look into the Granpasso and other 120hp forums for some thoughts on the best of the 120hp maps available on the Google Drive address which will alleviate the stalling and flat spot at 3000rpm.

I‘ll also investigate virtualising a version of Windows onto my MacBook Pro so I can use Guzzi.diag. If virtualising Windows proves to be beyond me I think I will borrow a Windows laptop once I have the cable. I like the idea of being able to try and compare the maps myself.
X1er

Post by X1er »

Update

Cheap Windows laptop and Lonelec GuzziDiag compatible cable purchased.

GuzziDiag tools downloaded.

Wildguzzi step by step instructions with GuzziDiag screen shots studied.

Backed up existing map (15 mins)

Uploaded 23CAMORCAVG map and reset TPS (7 mins)

Result - A much better bike and well worth the effort. Stalling issue has completely disappeared. It seems to run a bit smoother at lower revs and the flat spot has noticeably decreased so much so that I'm still not sure that it's still there. Fan comes on at 96 degrees instead of the previous 90 degrees.

I went for the 23CAMORCAVG with the Lambada sensor as a days ride can either be down to sea level or up into the mountains. My other bike, a Buell has a map with the Lambada off and it doesn't run too well up in the mountains. Because it's so easy I may try some of the other 120hp maps later but at the moment I'm satisfied with the new map.

I also replaced the chain at the same time.

Here's hoping there's happy days ahead.

Thanks to all from the forum who provided advice and 'danger1474' who I pm'd a few times.

Without this forum and the willingness of its members to assistance in this thread and the two others ones I started 'New Owner - Stator connection, speed sensor, Oil filters' and 'New owner & oil leak' there's no way I would have been able to give this bike its second chance in life (I'm its 2nd owner!).

Cheers
danger1474

Post by danger1474 »

Great to hear you got a good result!
X1er

Post by X1er »

For the record the Avio maps were:

- Original map 23ACMORCAVE (Avio February 2008 according to the text file that appeared when I downloaded it from the ECU)

- The replacement map 23ACMORCAVG (Avio 2009)
X1er

Post by X1er »

Update

I took 10 minutes out of my life and uploaded 23CAMORCAVG WITHOUT the Lambada sensor. Response down low 'seems' better and the flat spot is virtually gone or putting it another way it feels like a slight improvement over the same map with the Lambada sensor ON.

Now I'm just going to ride it.

Cheers
brousse

Post by brousse »

Hi X1er,

Any feedback with lambda off regarding stalling ?

Have you test 120ch map ?

Thanks for your feedback, i got the same problem and i just receive my diag cable...

Cheers
X1er

Post by X1er »

Any feedback with lambda off regarding stalling ?

Have you test 120ch map ?
No stalling with either of the updated maps 23CAMORCAVG (lambada on or off)

I have not tried any other maps. I am happy with the updated map I've installed as the improvement of 23CAMORCAVG over the original 23ACMORCAVE is so dramatic.

Updating the maps with the diag cable is easy, if you take the time to read the instructions that come with the cable.

Goodluck!