picture of battery?

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
elise topman

picture of battery?

Post by elise topman »

I have a pic of the battery on the dash (2006 corsaro)
does this mean the battery is flat?
does a flat battery effect the running of the engine ie tickover?
regards
billy
nicko

Re: picture of battery?

Post by nicko »

The battery icon shows when the voltage is below 11.5v and should go out when the voltage is 12v and above. A flat battery shouldn't effect the running of the bike as above tickover the battery should be getting charged. The issue will be starting the bike in the first place, I've never managed to bump start one yet. If in doubt I would suggest a new battery or st least breakdown cover :D

Cheers
Nick
elise topman

Post by elise topman »

lol
thanks for the reply
I have put the bike on charge and sure enough the battery icon has gone away.
I will leave the battery charging over night and see how it is in the morning
I have only just got the bike so very much a corsaro virgin!
the bike starts well from cold and idles at 1800 revs then drops to 800 ish
if I then turn the bike off , and restart it has occasionally taken a couple of goes to fire up , and when it does it idles at 500 ish
any thoughts?
nicko

Post by nicko »

Could be stale fuel causing the hunting and possibly vapour lock. It may just need a good run to clear out.
elise topman

Post by elise topman »

I think you are right my friend
I have taken the bike for a 40 mile run and (touching wood as I type) she is running spot on!
fires up ok and did not stall when coming to a stop
will go for another ride tomorrow just to check lol
Beveldrive

Post by Beveldrive »

Hi Elise, I recently had a similar problem with my Veloce except that I was left stranded by the side of the road.
In my case I had the battery warning icon active on the dash the week before and decided to buy a new battery to replace the six and a half year old stock item.
I literally put the new battery in the night before my bike broke down for the first time since I bought it back in 2008.

It turned out to be the plug from the rectifier/regulator, it was totally fried. It seems it's a common problem with the Corsaros, I took the advice of an Italian Facebook friend and after paying $450au for a new reg/rec I cut the plug out and hard wired the connection with solder, problem solved.

Before you go for a ride tomorrow I recommend taking the seat off and checking the plug, it will be totally obvious if something is wrong.
elise topman

Post by elise topman »

thanks for the heads up mate
I have had a look and it looks like the mod has been done on my bike by the previous owner
thanks again for the reply
vtxbrit

Re: Battery

Post by vtxbrit »

The batteries on most Italian bikes are only just sized large enough to cope and as soon as they start to fail you get problems, when the bike is running it will be charging at 14.7 volts, the fuel injection etc allows for this so when the battery starts to weaken with only just over the 12 volts available it reflects in the running of the bike.
I always put my bikes straight onto an optimiser when not in use, having owned 3 Benelli TNT’s on my third Aprillia Tuono (a 2014 V4) and still have my 07 Veloce I understand the quirkiness of the Italian thoroughbreds…the other problem is if the starter is not getting full voltage it pulls more amps and after a while the starter will over heat and fail, similarly if the alternator is constantly trying to recover a weak battery it will eventually fail so my advice is keep your batteries in tip top condition a new battery is far cheaper than replacing starter motors and alternators
vtxbrit
Corsaro Veloce
Aprilia TuonoV4 APRC
4V 500 Weslake Barber grass tracker
2V 500 Jawa Hagon grasstracker
500 Jap 4B Barber grasstracker
500 Jap 5stud jawa speedway